Small tank tangs: Have you kept a Bristletooth tang?

Have you kept a Bristletooth tang?

• Yes, I currently keep a Bristletooth tang.

Votes: 242 50.5%
  • Yes, I have kept a Bristletooth tang in the past.

Votes: 66 13.8%
  • No, but I plan to keep a Bristletooth tang in the future.

Votes: 101 21.1%
  • No, I have no plans to keep a Bristletooth tang.

Votes: 63 13.2%
  • Other

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First try with a bristletooth tang (whitetail) and it's beautiful. Swims all over the place and has a calm demeanor (helps that I have a large tank too maybe).

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tomini tang in my 50g. Unless it's feeding time he's very shy and hangs out near his hiding spot. He grazes, but he's quick to retreat. I can't seem to get him to eat any seaweed I put in the tank. He just doesn't seem interested.
I have one in the same size tank as yours. Mine also does not eat seaweed but it will eat Sera Spirulina Tabs that you can stick to the glass. It'll graze on those all day but won't touch nori.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have this guy, no trouble at all!
image.jpg
What do you have for corals with that Pearl Fin Butterfly? I recently got one to fight aiptasia in a FOWLR with GSP thinking that if it eats some of the HSP it won’t be a problem, but if I can make it work I would move it to a reef later, but everything I have found says they are absolutely not reef safe.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a whitetail bristletooth in a75 gallon. Beautiful fish, good algae eater, loves nori. But - he’s a bully plain and simple. He terrorizes my lubbocks wrasse so much that he’s all scratched up from hiding In the rock. He chased my diamond goby so much - who apparently jumped to his death when I was doing a water change the other day and had the lid off - that I’m wondering if the leap was due to being chased.

He does not bother any of the other fish in the tank: Solar wrasse, clowns, banggai or the one spot Foxface (I’m waiting on the Foxface police to show now too). That said, when I added the Foxface, the whitetail bristletooth started to chase but that quickly ended once the dorsal fin was extended.

Bummed about my diamond goby, he was one of my favorite fish - really cool personality. I was out of town for a few days and my wife mentioned she hadn’t seen him since I left. I asked her to look around the tank and he was on the carpet behind the tank. I could have sworn I looked around the tank when I finished cleaning - must’ve missed hIm. 3rd fish I’ve lost to jumping while cleaning in past 8 months. I even put a piece of plexiglass across the half of the tank I‘m not working on to minimize jumping out.

Here’s a pic of the tang. He has good color, but I didn’t do a water change for a while at one point and his color really muted - with regular water changes, his color is really nice.

5867B4B6-7D44-4EBB-AB8A-F329E6B2459A.jpeg

EagleEye121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First tang I put in my display was a white tail. "Turbo" is the most active fish I have - never never stops moving. Sometimes I feel a 6 ft tank is not big enough LOL. He is not very long, but super fat. He needs to go on a diet, but can't stop him from picking everything all day. I used to wonder why I didn't have algae problems...:)
Amazing colors!!

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini tang for me in a 100g. He's pretty well behaved but tank is pretty semi aggressive that no one in there's a push over. He was pretty small when I got him and he is in there with 2 dwarf angels a pearscale, a foxface, dottyback, 2 damsels, clowns etc.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Tipsy. She’s a little bit of a bully and scraps with my goby for the same cave but other than that a model citizen.
7E3B6544-D565-47C3-B010-FCA55A2B6FB5.jpeg

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe you have heard the legend of the tang police or even felt their wrath. Maybe you have wondered “What is the smallest tank for a tang?” Instead of focusing today on tang shaming or arguing about minimums, let’s talk about some Bristletooth tangs which are some of the smaller tangs which aren’t as demanding with their tank space requirements. What is your experience with Bristletooth tangs? Do you have a preference between Kole, Tomini, Chevron, or other tangs that fit into the Ctenochaetus genus? Please tell us about your experience with small tank tangs and share your thoughts in the discussion below.

ReefChasers_Tomini.jpeg

Photo by @ReefChasers

BTW, I did meet a Tang Police officer at Reef-A-Palooza Texas this past year and she and her K9 were very gracious, but I definitely would not want to get on the bad side of either one of them!
My Blue Eye Tang is the boss of my RedSea Reefer 350 G2.

Sandy MH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe you have heard the legend of the tang police or even felt their wrath. Maybe you have wondered “What is the smallest tank for a tang?” Instead of focusing today on tang shaming or arguing about minimums, let’s talk about some Bristletooth tangs which are some of the smaller tangs which aren’t as demanding with their tank space requirements. What is your experience with Bristletooth tangs? Do you have a preference between Kole, Tomini, Chevron, or other tangs that fit into the Ctenochaetus genus? Please tell us about your experience with small tank tangs and share your thoughts in the discussion below.

ReefChasers_Tomini.jpeg

Photo by @ReefChasers

BTW, I did meet a Tang Police officer at Reef-A-Palooza Texas this past year and she and her K9 were very gracious, but I definitely would not want to get on the bad side of either one of them!
From a very naive fish killer (not proud of it), how small is too small -- I KNOW this is not the gist of the thread -- we have a WB 70 cube -- cruising room for the gang is about 38 gallons (24"x24"22") -- we'd love to do a kole or a taormini! Thank you for not laughing.

bcurelop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tomini tang in my 50g. Unless it's feeding time he's very shy and hangs out near his hiding spot. He grazes, but he's quick to retreat. I can't seem to get him to eat any seaweed I put in the tank. He just doesn't seem interested.
I have one in my 45 gallon DT and he will not eat Nori but loves the algae wafers. You may want try those.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
From a very naive fish killer (not proud of it), how small is too small -- I KNOW this is not the gist of the thread -- we have a WB 70 cube -- cruising room for the gang is about 38 gallons (24"x24"22") -- we'd love to do a kole or a taormini! Thank you for not laughing.
In my opinion a 24” tank isn’t quite big enough. If I’m right the Tomini is the smaller of the two. But they do like to swim.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back