Small worms in tank

Azzaman160

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, ive just upgraded from a canister to a new sump, I used the bio balls and ceramic balls out of my canister an put them in the sump but not I have all these small worms in my display tank, can anyone tell me what they are and if I need to do something please, some are free swimming and loads on the glass?

20210208_232103.jpg 20210208_232100.jpg

Attachments

• 20210208_232111.mp4
    6.9 MB
OP
OP
A

Azzaman160

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some type of polychaete- maybe a dorvillidae but I'm not certain- regardless, they're probably detrivores :)

Sorry but im still getting in to this happy hence just upgrading to a sump, is that good or bad, do I need to get rid of them??
Thanks

OP
OP
A

Azzaman160

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they're good! They essentially eat any leftover food or fish waste- helps keep that food from just rotting

OK great, i was starting to panic, will they find hiding places once settled so they aren't all over my glass?

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK great, i was starting to panic, will they find hiding places once settled so they aren't all over my glass?
Maybe yes maybe no- if they bother you you can use a magnetic scraper to get them off the glass. I personally think it's cool to see all the critters on the glass so I only use my scraper when algae builds up, but I get how it interferes with the image of a crystal clear reef.

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't fret them. Their populations are self limiting, so if you have so many they're annoying you, there's that much detritus in the system that would be causing far more unsightly annoyances if they weren't there.

OP
OP
A

Azzaman160

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't fret them. Their populations are self limiting, so if you have so many they're annoying you, there's that much detritus in the system that would be causing far more unsightly annoyances if they weren't there.

I've had no issues up till now, except a battle with high phosphates, ive been dosing and using rowaphos, but everyone advised that cannisters are phosphate traps, so I've upgraded to the sump, I must have had a colony of them in the cannister and putting the bio and ceramic balls in the sump has released them

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
free swimming usually means an epitoke which is the reproductive adult of the worms, they will only show up when they want to mate then the rest the time the worms are usually in the sand and rocks out of sight

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back