Small Yellow Eye Kole Tang as a (temporary) member in a 45 gallon?

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gallon tank with a bit of an algae problem and I went to my lfs and they said a great eater of said algae would be a yellow eye kole tang. Does anybody know if I could successfully keep one for maybe 6 months max while I'm saving up for equipment to control phosphates and such? I currently have 1 HOB filter for a 70 gallon tank, a canister filter for a 100 gallon tank, and 1 powerhead. My current fish in the tank rn are as follows:

3 Blue-Green Chromis
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Firefish
1 Banggai Cardinalfish
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Fire Shrimp
2 Emerald Crabs
2 Red-Legged Hermit Crabs
2 Turbo Snails
5 Nassarius Snails

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would find the source of the algae and try to control with another solution before thinking about the tang.

Kole tangs do need lots of swimming room. They love to graze and swim. How large a tang is this? Anything over 2" and I would say noooo way. I would be hesitant anyway, but since it is going into a larger system soon, under 2" would be okay. Not ideal, but okay.

OP
OP
a;lksdjf

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be as small as I could possibly get it. I would just like a temporary fix until I can get the money for the equipment to properly deal with the problem because the snails and the crabs just aren't cutting it at the moment.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put phosphate removing media in the canister filter. That will be less expensive than adding an inappropriate fish to a 45g.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back