Smaller system to start or go big off the bat?

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not read all 4 pages of responses but IMO I would start with something small.... go for a 32g Biocube or something similar... some kind of AIO...with them you can still upgrade and customize them.... you can keep all beginner corals and fish.... it’s still not “cheap” but it’s much cheaper then going big off the start....
Big tanks done right are not cheap!
Get a smaller tank.... no bigger then 40g’s and see if you like it... see if you have a passion for it.... if you do then you can keep the smaller tank or you can sell it and use the $$ for an upgrade...
This way if you “enjoy” it but don’t have a full passion for it you can keep your smaller tank and it’s easy to maintain and such whereas you could start with a large tank and not really enjoy it... you could run into 100 problems (and you likely will!) that will break you... To own a SW tank you have to be resilient and strong willed... a person that doesn’t give up easily....
People who have FW tanks think “oh I can do the switch NP!!” But it’s ENTIRELY different.... the same concepts but much MUCH harder... again with 1000 more problems to possibly deal with
So start smaller (don’t go TOO small) and see how you like it before dropping $10,000 or more lol

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I've clearly got some considerations to make. I think the first thing I'll try to do is develop my wish list for stocking the tank and try to let that guide me.
I would definitely figure out the type of tank stock you want. Fish min tank size could steer this for you depending what you want to have in your tank. Softie/leather tank, might steer you for less water maintenance requirements because you don't need to dose the tank all the time.
Once you decide on what you want in it, then go for it. Remember as you have probably read from others, Slow and steady. This is a patience hobby. Sure you could add the starter bacteria and load of the tank with everything at once, only to have it crash because your bioload exceeds the natural bacteria.

Welcome to R2R- we are all here to help and learn.

Back