Smaller than spirorbid worms...and mobile, what are these?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen these in my tank before. The only thing that's changed is that I lost power for about 24 hours and for the last 3 or 4 hours I've had a spare heater (which hasn't been in water in well over a month) and a powerhead I pulled out of my salt mixing bucket (had them connected to a Ryobi inverter). When the power came back on and I was taking the heater out I noticed all these tiny white bugs crawling around on it. They're about a third size of a spirobid and, as you can see, quite mobile.
Looking closely, I do see a few of them on the glass here and there, but I've never seen them before. In a previous post I mentioned that my algae, of which I have quite a bit, suddenly had a lot of tiny white specs in it. But I don't see any of them moving around.
Any thoughts?

Edit, I ostracods?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I have some of those, or something similar. My guess is also ostracods. They haven't done anything so far.

OP
OP
J

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You'll have to excuse it moving in and out of focus. My phone was having a field day trying to deal with my moving the light source around .

And here's a link to the album with some additional pictures of, what probably are, ostracods. Also there's a pictures of some spirobid worms. I was hoping to use them to compare the sizes, but after I broke it's shell (is it a shell? what ever it is, it made a cracking sound), I gave up on that. There's also some random...somethings, no idea if they even are anything, and a crosshatch looking thing that *looked* like a tiny bug or very large pod when I saw it in the tank. But it might just be some algae, who knows.

Back