Smart Buddie: Is Restricting Waste Line After Smart Buddie Acceptable?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @AquaticLifeProducts , I was wondering if you could kindly advise. I have a working Smart Buddie with BRS 7 Stage RODI unit, which features 2 RO membranes in series ("staging configuration.") This worked very very for one year, and the Smart Buddie is fantastic. It was able to get a the pair of 75 GPD RO membranes to 5 bar (70 psi). However, after replacing the membranes with 150 GDP, the pressure measured just following the output of the second membrane, the pressure dropped to 2 bar (30 psi).

---
Diagramme
RO Membrane 1 > RO Membrane 2 > Pressure Gauge
---

I noticed that by restricting the waste line output that outputs from the Smart Buddie, the pressure increases dramatically (as does the rate of clean water produced, ~13 mins to fill a 1 gal milk jug, and up to 4 bar (60 psi). I have additionally made sure that both RO membranes are deeply seated, and within the Smart Buddie manual, I am basically using Configuration G.

---
Diagramme
Smart Buddie > Waste Line > Flow Restrictor > Drain
---

My question is: Is this configuration of using a flow restrictor on the waste line to drain, after the Smart Buddie, an appropriate configuration?

I love the product (and the other Aquatic Life products I have---big fan!!)

Kind thanks!!

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , I had this same exact problem and just bypass the whole waste line. I’m able to get much more water and am able to keep the pressure steady at 80 psi the whole time.

OP
OP
DiZASTiX

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , I had this same exact problem and just bypass the whole waste line. I’m able to get much more water and am able to keep the pressure steady at 80 psi the whole time.

Thanks for this helpful bit. I wonder what might cause this, and what this bypass would create? Would this disable the auto-flush feature?

FWIW, I also replaced the flow restrictor with a Mur-Lok ball valve and adjusted it until I was I got whatever pressure I desired:

IMG_0089.jpg

Output with unauthorised ;Poto modifications ;Smilie:

IMG_0091.jpg

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure except to say that using the waste line input on buddie causes the pressure needle to be pinned. Very little water was moving through the system. I figured bypassing this would hv no effect on water quality since it was the last stage. I’m just happy there is a solution.

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Good Morning. The problem is likely with the pump. The current Smart Buddie is only rated to 100 GPD of membrane. The internal pump flow rate is 550 ml of water at 70 PSI. So with a 300ml flow restrictor and 395ml of RO water per minute (150 membrane), the flow is above its suggested limit to create pressure. We have seen this before and the pumps diaphragm or gasket is likely damaged or possibly distorted and not sealing correctly to create pressure. They can operate like this for a short time but not recommended.

Its like over revving your car.

If you would like to send it in for possible repair let us know at [email protected] and we can give you a RMA to return the unit for us to review.

Also, with your current setup you are running 1 filtered gallon to every 0.75 gallons of waste. Your do run the risk of damaging the membrane with a ratio like this. Normally the membrane manufactures have a 15% recovery rate. Around 1 filtered to 5.6 waste.

Let us know will be glad to help.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back