Smart reefing: Which type of brain coral do you prefer?

Which type of brain coral do you prefer?

• Cyphastrea

Votes: 20 6.0%
  • Favia

Votes: 91 27.4%
  • Favites

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Goniastria

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • Lobophyllia

Votes: 46 13.9%
  • Platygyra

Votes: 25 7.5%
  • Symphyllia

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • Trachyphyllia

Votes: 106 31.9%
  • Other

Votes: 14 4.2%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

There are so many different types of brain corals and just figuring out how to pronounce the names requires some “smarts” let alone trying to differentiate all the genus that fall under the Mussidae and Merulinidae families of corals. The good news is that many of the common groups of brain corals that we know are also their assigned genus (or shorted versions of the genus) such as Trachophyllia, Lobophyllia, Favia, Favites, Symphyllia, Platygyra, Cyphastrea, Wellsophyllia (note: the Wellso is now grouped as a Trachy) and many more. Do you have a favorite type of brain coral? Maybe it is one that isn’t even on this list! Let us know your thoughts about brain corals in the related discussion thread.

UniqueCorals_Brain1.jpeg

Photo by @uniquecorals

To add a layer of complexity to the naming, there are some groupings of corals that fall under other genus such as the Micromussa Lords (formerly known as an Acan Lord) that are are in the family Lobophylliidae. With the recent changes in genus names related to brain corals, sometimes keeping all the details of brain corals straight can hurt my brain! In fact, I may still not have it right - feel free to jump in a provide corrections.

Want to explore brain corals a little more? Please check out the following R2R articles:
[Edited to correct the spelling of Trachyphyllia and how the Lords are classified; see thread below for other corrections and related discussion. Thanks for the input!]

Last edited:

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are so many different types of brain corals and just figuring out how to pronounce the names requires some “smarts” let alone trying to differentiate all the genus that fall under the Mussidae and Merulinidae families of corals. The good news is that many of the common groups of brain corals that we know are also their assigned genus (or shorted versions of the genus) such as Trachophyllia, Lobophyllia, Favia, Favites, Symphyllia, Platygyra, Cyphastrea, Wellsophyllia (note: the Wellso is now grouped as a Trachy) and many more. Do you have a favorite type of brain coral? Maybe it is one that isn’t even on this list! Let us know your thoughts about brain corals in the related discussion thread.

UniqueCorals_Brain1.jpeg

Photo by @uniquecorals

To add a layer of complexity to the naming, there are some groupings of corals that fall under other genus such as the Micromussa Lords (formerly known as an Acan Lord) that are a type of Lobophyllia. With the recent changes in genus names related to brain corals, sometimes keeping all the details of brain corals straight can hurt my brain! In fact, I may still not have it right - feel free to jump in a provide corrections.

Want to explore brain corals a little more? Please check out the following R2R articles:
Some corrections:
1. Indo-pacific brain corals actually fall under the LOBOPHYLLIIDAE and Merulinidae families, not Mussidae. Mussidae has been reduced to a subfamily within the family Faviidae.
2. The Favias in our hobby are actually Dipsastraea.
3. Symphyllia is a synonym of Lobophyllia.
4. Cyphastrea is not really considered a brain coral.
5. It's TrachYphyllia, not TrachOphyllia.
6. Micromussa lords are not a type of Lobophyllia, but are in the family Lobophylliidae. Saying that they are a Lobophyllia would be like saying that a Blastomussa is a type of Plerogyra just because it is in the family Plerogyridae.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Trachy and wilsoni for me

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In what universe is cyphastrea a brain coral?

Great question and thanks for engaging! One of the things that I like about this forum is the information that can emerge through healthy discussion. Cyphastrea are part of the family Merulinidae which contains many of the brain corals. At least a few online retailers have identified the cyphastrea that they have for sale as brain corals so there appears to be some confusion or misinformation. How would y'all categorize what is and isn't a brain coral?

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it is very shallow to look only at beauty or intelligence, there are brain corals out there that just need love… even if they are not that smart.

No worries! We'll talk about them tomorrow!!! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back