Smart UV Sterilizer 25 Watt - Pentair Aquatics

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello every one! Thinking of adding this to my Waterbox Infinia 125.3, couple questions on this​

Smart UV Sterilizer 25 Watt - Pentair Aquatic​

1. Is this going to be the size I need for my 125gal to control parasites? Not as much for the algae.

2. Any suggestions on a pump to use to run to this or should I pump it to my manifold outlet?
Any help on this is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello every one! Thinking of adding this to my Waterbox Infinia 125.3, couple questions on this​

Smart UV Sterilizer 25 Watt - Pentair Aquatic​

1. Is this going to be the size I need for my 125gal to control parasites? Not as much for the algae.

2. Any suggestions on a pump to use to run to this or should I pump it to my manifold outlet?
Any help on this is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance!
I'm using a 40W Pentair on a 75 gal, and you need that size or larger.

The flow on the 40W for marine ich is 120 gph, so you'd be slightly undersized for a 125 gal tank.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The flow on the 40W for marine ich is 120 gph, so you'd be slightly undersized for a 125 gal tank.
+1 You need to upsize that puppy! The price difference is small when going to the next size or two up. Then you have the extra power, if and when needed for other "baddies". I have a 57watt on my 100g. Overkill for a UV sterilizer is not a bad thing.

Oh, and welcome to Reef2Reef!

finding nemo lol GIF by Disney Pixar

OP
OP
Izzy’sReefTank

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 You need to upsize that puppy! The price difference is small when going to the next size or two up. Then you have the extra power, if and when needed for other "baddies". I have a 57watt on my 100g. Overkill for a UV sterilizer is not a bad thing.

Oh, and welcome to Reef2Reef!

finding nemo lol GIF by Disney Pixar
I was just told by the LFS to put a Aqua UV 57w on it, any good advice on pumps for this guy and if this is going to get the job done?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's the one I have and like it quite well. I'm running a manifold on the return and have a line plumbed to the UV, so I can't give any personal recommendation for a pump. Something around 1200gph would be plenty as you will lose some due to head pressure. Remember to replace the bulb and clean the quartz sleeve at least annually. You can see where I failed to do so and waited almost two years.

Suggested flow rate for saltwater aquarium sterilization - 1066 GPH

Aqua UV 57 watt qualrtz sleeve 2yo.jpg

OP
OP
Izzy’sReefTank

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I believe the LFS has me talked into the 57w Aqua UV. This makes the most since for 2 reason, size of the unit for water turn over for my 125.3 and also ease of mounting under my tank in cabinet. They only question I have is they said use a siecc

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You
Ok so I believe the LFS has me talked into the 57w Aqua UV. This makes the most since for 2 reason, size of the unit for water turn over for my 125.3 and also ease of mounting under my tank in cabinet. They only question I have is they said use a siecc
You need to find the right flow for marine Ich for that UV. Probably around 150gph. Any faster and it won't sterilise the parasite.
You need an exposure of 280,000 uW/cm2

OP
OP
Izzy’sReefTank

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You

You need to find the right flow for marine Ich for that UV. Probably around 150gph. Any faster and it won't sterilise the parasite.
You need an exposure of 280,000 uW/cm2
Understood, they are telling me at LFS that UV and that pump will do the trick, this store owner has been in hobby and has multiple customer tanks they setup and maintain, so I have a feeling I should probably just trust what they are telling me on this set up. I will ask about the flow rate for Ich and see what the exposer is going to be rated at. Thanks for the advice! Appreciated very much!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, they are telling me at LFS that UV and that pump will do the trick, this store owner has been in hobby and has multiple customer tanks they setup and maintain, so I have a feeling I should probably just trust what they are telling me on this set up. I will ask about the flow rate for Ich and see what the exposer is going to be rated at. Thanks for the advice! Appreciated very much
okay, but if they tell you 90,000 is what you need for exposure remind them that is the exposure for freshwater ich, not marine ich :)

OP
OP
Izzy’sReefTank

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats for algae not protozoa.

Flow that fast will do absolutely nothing for C.Irritans Marine Ich
Looking at being in the 700 gph with a sicce SCD 3.0 adjustable pump. It goes from 260gph-800gph, that sound like a better flow rate for parasites?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at being in the 700 gph with a sicce SCD 3.0 adjustable pump. It goes from 260gph-800gph, that sound like a better flow rate for parasites?
I don't know for your UV.

You need an exposure of 280,000 uW/cm2.

On my system with a Pentair 40W, the flow cannot be any faster than 120gph otherwise the exposure is not enough to sterilise Ich.

Unfortunately most UV vendors state flow rate for 90,000 uW/cm2 exposure which is the dose for freshwater Ich and is useless against Marine Ich.

If the vendor states 400gph for 90,000 uW/cm2 in their literature, you need the flow to be one third i.e. 130gph.

At the same time you need to turn over the tank volume at leat once per hour, so a flow of 130gph will just work on a 120 gal system.

OP
OP
Izzy’sReefTank

Izzy’sReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know for your UV.

You need an exposure of 280,000 uW/cm2.

On my system with a Pentair 40W, the flow cannot be any faster than 120gph otherwise the exposure is not enough to sterilise Ich.

Unfortunately most UV vendors state flow rate for 90,000 uW/cm2 exposure which is the dose for freshwater Ich and is useless against Marine Ich.

If the vendor states 400gph for 90,000 uW/cm2 in their literature, you need the flow to be one third i.e. 130gph.

At the same time you need to turn over the tank volume at leat once per hour, so a flow of 130gph will just work on a 120 gal system.
Thank you for the information on this, I am new to the reef tank world and especially new to the UV world. Headed to the LFS on Friday and will use this info when talking with them about my set up.

MD51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size UV did you end up going with?

Pentair 25W is the one I picked up based on my LFS recommendation

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back