Smell of DEATH!!!!!

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your tragedy....
I appreciate you sharing your grief. It made me aware of the freak accident that could happen to anyone. I checked my fuge light immediately..

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to me with a lite brite LED strip falling into my tank while I was over the weekend. I think I did briefly cry. Sorry to hear of your tragedy. Hang in there though because despite the fact that I was sure that the tank was 100% dead, about 2/3 of my coral colonies ended up pulling through.

I'll never forget that smell. When it happened to me, the tank was in my office on the 8th floor of a medical office building. The entire floor reeked of Death and noone could figure out what it was until I got there on Monday morning. I think the dead turbo and stomatella snails were responsible for the bulk of the stink. My snowflake eel (indestructable) survived, looked like he had been on a crack binge, and was looking at me like "what the heck?"

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah all the snails where laying upside down. I had a huge population of stomatella snails. They where everywhere so that is helping the smell. It still smells and I threw about 1/2 gallon container of carbon in there. Not helping with the smell.

UFfishingirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is something I overlooked. The tank has been running this way for 6 months now. Actually completely for got about that part of the sump because it is my second sump. I was not sure I wanted to rebuild. I almost just starting crying when I saw the tank. No joke. Told the fiance if I lost it all I was donem would just keep the fish only and get rid of the reef tank. She told me I was not doing that. I have put to much time, money, and passion in the reef to just give up. I just need to rebuild it and make it nice again. Got to love a woman who may not always understand my passion for the tank but knows how passionate I am about the tank.

I am so sorry. Please don't give up! You have put too much time and money to just give up. You can make it bigger and badder. I love you. Keep your head up buttercup!

OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cleanup begins
2011-06-19_09-46-57_407.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
neither will a gfci if both legs are shorted together in water.

sorry for you loss
It would for that one thousands of a sec it detected a ground before it was all charged.... Fwiw I believe you can buy a gfi extension cord from home depot etc might be something worth getting althou it would suck to have the tank on a single circuit because occasionally a mh can kick the breaker it would shut the system down...."still have this control box it's great"
I built a control panel I just made a aluminum box with a door on a hinge wired up 5 gfi plugs with a single switch that runs each gfi and a master switch... Out of the box is a regular extension cord you plug into any outlet and your good to go...;)
4e55eba9.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

83.jpg

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think both my nems went. My flame and my green. No it is an old house and I don't own it so I never changed them out. That was my big mistake.

You can buy GFCI plugs that plug in to a normal outlet and then your equipment plugs in to that. Works well and you don't have to do any rewiring.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. That is every reefer's nightmare. Hope you get everything up and running again.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is something I overlooked. The tank has been running this way for 6 months now. Actually completely for got about that part of the sump because it is my second sump. I was not sure I wanted to rebuild. I almost just starting crying when I saw the tank. No joke. Told the fiance if I lost it all I was donem would just keep the fish only and get rid of the reef tank. She told me I was not doing that. I have put to much time, money, and passion in the reef to just give up. I just need to rebuild it and make it nice again. Got to love a woman who may not always understand my passion for the tank but knows how passionate I am about the tank.

Wow man that is tough...i feel for ya. Glad to hear you fiance giving you words of encouragement...i cant even imagine what it would be like if i came home to something like that. Hope you can save a few things and build it back up!

OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow man that is tough...i feel for ya. Glad to hear you fiance giving you words of encouragement...i cant even imagine what it would be like if i came home to something like that. Hope you can save a few things and build it back up!

Not rebuilding the tank. I am upgrading instead. :)

slice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not rebuilding the tank. I am upgrading instead. :)

You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.
--Rahm Emanuel

The only time I think this quote is appropriate.
Your upgrade build thread with copious pics is now required, thanks in advance!

OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the in-line GFCI outlets. Many of them are magnetic which means they trip when the power goes off. I bought a few of them for my tank and had them inline with my controller for the heater and lights for the fuge and lights in the canopy. Unfortunately every time the controller would switch off the outlet the GFCI would trip and would need to be reset again. I think they are mainly for contractors where if they are using power tools and the power goes off, you want them to trip so noone gets hurt. Good thing for them, but not for my tank as they are now in my garage...lol.

Sorry to hear about your loss. It sucks seeing this happen to people. Let me know if I can hook you up with some corals from here. You probably have better stuff in FL for sure but I figured I'd at least offer my assistance with replacing some livestock.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back