Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that PE looks so fantastic brother!
Oh, im excited to see what you will get from Adam. Keep us updated on this one man :)

Hope your family trip was good?
Thanks man!

Same here, really looking forward to what shows up. I haven't seen a battlecorals piece I don't like, so it'll be great.

It was a good trip. Lots of family time, laughs and drinks!

Husker-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took the time to read through your entire thread over the last couple nights. A system of this caliber is a dream to me. Your insight and knowledge of caring for and growing acropora as well as controlling all variables and trouble shooting through them is very impressive. Thanks for the awesome thread. I will revert back to this as I attempt to grow them like you do.
-Zach

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took the time to read through your entire thread over the last couple nights. A system of this caliber is a dream to me. Your insight and knowledge of caring for and growing acropora as well as controlling all variables and trouble shooting through them is very impressive. Thanks for the awesome thread. I will revert back to this as I attempt to grow them like you do.
-Zach
Thank you for the kind words and taking the time to catch up on the build, Zach. It's had it's ups and downs so far, that's for sure. I feel like these build threads are an under utilized tool in the hobby for a lot of reefers. A log/journal to reference as I go along as well as get outside help when needed. I got lots of helpful input when troubleshooting this tank and I'm grateful for that.

I'm gonna hop over and follow your build so I can see how your acropora journey goes.

Thanks man!
Matt

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught up with the thread and everything looks great! By the way, how are you liking the quanta's so far? I was thinking of getting a pair for myself this Christmas...

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught up with the thread and everything looks great! By the way, how are you liking the quanta's so far? I was thinking of getting a pair for myself this Christmas...
Thanks!

I really like the Quanta Bars. Well made and very clean aesthetically. I feel like they bridge the gap between Orpheks PAR and Reefbrite XHO's spread very well. Really fair price point too. I feel I liked the XHO color better than the OG POP but that's just based off memory. I recently bought back a MH/XHO hybrid and I just might hang the XHO's to compare color. They might be great in tandem as well.

Spread is great though. I was very surprised at how well 2 bars lit my tank. 36" front to back. My powermodule is wider than most at 22", so center to center the bars are about 24" apart and meet evenly throughout the tank. I always wonder why Orphek doesn't drop the 90 degree lens, I think they are too hung up on PAR/watt ratio or something.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New battle box pieces arrived today.
RR Blue Flame - I'm blanking on what RR is, it's not reef raft
BC Pumpkin Pie milli
BC Raindrops on Roses milli
BC Sunblaze Spath
BC Super Battlegum

One DOA was labeled "yellow spath". I can only imagine how yellow, as the water did have a yellow hue to it! Very happy with the pack and it won't be the last one. I scrambled when I saw the DOA to float and drop these guys and lost track of the names. I feel like some fit the pieces well
BC Pumpkin Pie.jpg
BC Raindrops on Roses_.jpg
BC Sunblaze Spath_.jpg
BC Super BattleGum_ .jpg
RR Blue Flame.jpg

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Disappointed your yellow spath didn't make it. Would have been great to compare our two as they progress.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Millepora Craze update. I think this is all the millepora/spathulata type pieces in the tank.
This one is just blowing me away. Heliarch millepora originated from SPS coral store, bought from Money Pit Corals
Heliarch-2.jpg

BC Pieces
Super Battlegum.jpg
BC Raindrops on Roses.jpg
BC PumpkinPie.jpg
AquaticMan.jpg

Tongs Yellow Spath_.jpg

Raising Reef's Blue Flame from BC
RR piece BC.jpg

Maricultured pieces and frags from my LFS Tong's Tropical Fish
New Table.jpg

Tongs Spathulata_millepora.jpg
Tongs Pink Millepora.jpg
Tongs Spathulata.jpg

HairyBerry.jpg

ASD Rainbow Millepora
ASD Rainbow-5.jpg

CC Bahama Mama based out a bit and is starting on a new nub
Bahama Mama-2.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Millepora Craze update. I think this is all the millepora/spathulata type pieces in the tank.
This one is just blowing me away. Heliarch millepora originated from SPS coral store, bought from Money Pit Corals
Heliarch-2.jpg

BC Pieces
Super Battlegum.jpg
BC Raindrops on Roses.jpg
BC PumpkinPie.jpg
AquaticMan.jpg

Tongs Yellow Spath_.jpg

Raising Reef's Blue Flame from BC
RR piece BC.jpg

Maricultured pieces and frags from my LFS Tong's Tropical Fish
New Table.jpg

Tongs Spathulata_millepora.jpg
Tongs Pink Millepora.jpg
Tongs Spathulata.jpg

HairyBerry.jpg

ASD Rainbow Millepora
ASD Rainbow-5.jpg

CC Bahama Mama based out a bit and is starting on a new nub
Bahama Mama-2.jpg
Mind blowing pieces
:star-struck:

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Janci and Gedxin

Quick FTS. I'm back to the Reefbrite 36" hybrid. I temporarily zip tied the quanta bars to the XHO. What I would like to do is build a new bracket that will hold both maybe even 1 more pair of Reefcrest quanta pros to help blend in the blues and give me more coverage on the very front and back of the tank; until July when I'll be upsizing the pendants with Hamilton Tech's Cozumel Suns.

This is MH only, not bad coverage at all. If the 2x250w don't cut it, I'll bump up to 400 but looks pretty good to the eye.
MH FTS.jpg

I need to get back on my snow dosing. I just scraped the glass but the water hasn't been as clear as I'd like.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yo brother, stuff looks healthy and happy!
This bahama mama is poppin off :O such a stunner!

Hows your hyperberry doing?

I cant get my SSC to color up again.. its 1 months now and it browned after a while.. I think my AI Hydra settings are already pretty intense…. i dont know

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yo brother, stuff looks healthy and happy!
This bahama mama is poppin off :O such a stunner!

Hows your hyperberry doing?

I cant get my SSC to color up again.. its 1 months now and it browned after a while.. I think my AI Hydra settings are already pretty intense…. i dont know
Thank bud! Yeah I really like that bahama mama piece, it's a stand out for sure

The hyperberry is doing good. I think that's the one I'm seeing the most consistent growth from so far. My nutrients dropped a bit so it's lighter but still colorful.

it's tough, once they brown out it just takes time. I feel like things rebound quick from being light/or pale but brown seems to take a bit longer. I'm sure it'll come back around for ya

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some top down with blues + MH

WD, I can see more than gold now
WD-5.jpg

SCOP is colored up really well. Easy to see under the whiter spectrum
SCOP-8.jpg

Group of some of the ones on tonga - Cherry bomb center, SCOP left, WD bottom, Hyperberry Right top and BC Super Battlegum bottom right
Tonga Top.jpg

Tongs Aussie Rainbow Millepora left bottom, TGC Creamsicle branch top left, Purple Death Poly, RR Tropic Thunder monti, Oregon Tort top middle, ORA Frogskin bottom right
RH topdown.jpg

Spotted Mandarin putting in the work
spottedmadarin.jpg

LowDime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man i wish i could get any sps to grow and get some PE in my tank. never have had any luck with them. :(

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man i wish i could get any sps to grow and get some PE in my tank. never have had any luck with them. :(
It can be tough but it's mostly just the basics being very stable, which can be a challenge pending your system.
System maturity, salinity, Big 3, Temp, high flow and high quality light help a ton. If you have specific questions feel free to ask away, no guarantee I'll have an answer but I've got a love for keeping acropora and will try to help.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back