Snail Food Recipe, also good for other Inverts "SNELLO"

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick recipe for my snails. Yes they get plenty of algae, do a good job cleaning the glass, and most will absorb the calcium they will need, but I wanted to provide more, just to make sure they got everything they needed.

58F6C238-EC52-4965-920B-FAFC0279E650.jpeg

6 packs of unflavored gelatin, placed in a dish, add two tablespoons of Calcium Carbonate, one tablespoon of Spirulina, one table spoon of Repashy Soilent Green. Mix together until throughly combined. Add the combined powders to one cup of RODI water at room temperature, and stir in thoroughly, and quickly. Wait five minutes, which will make almost a gel. Add one cup of boiling water to this Gel like mixture and thoroughly whisk for two minutes, make sure everything has dissolved. Pour into a suitable container, such as an ice cube tray, or flat dish so it can be cut up and stored.

This can be frozen for up to six months, or stored in a fridge for two weeks. The recipe can be changed by omitting the Spirulina, as this is already in the Repashy, also high calcium, high protein baby food can be added, blanched vegetables, blood worms if feeding crabs.

The big nutrient is Calcium, and I will say my Turbo snails sit on the cubes and gorge, hermits come running when this hits the floor.

If anyone has any suggestions, ideas, experiances, please let me know.

Ingredients for Repashy:

INGREDIENTS: Spirulina Algae, Algae Meal (Chlorella), Krill Meal, Pea Protein Isolate, Squid Meal, Rice Protein Concentrate, Fish Meal, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Coconut Meal, Stabilized Rice Bran, Flax Seed Meal, Schizochytrium Algae, Dried Seaweed Meal, Lecithin, Dried Kelp, Locust Bean Gum, Potassium Citrate, Taurine, Stinging Nettle, Garlic, RoseHips, Hibiscus Flower, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Turmeric, Salt, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as preservatives), Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Selenium Yeast. Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex).

Last edited:

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this better for my snails than feeding them algae sheets? If it is, then I may try making it. It looks like it would be pretty easy to make.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this better for my snails than feeding them algae sheets? If it is, then I may try making it. It looks like it would be pretty easy to make.

From my reading of threads, and articles, Calcium is the number one nutrient needed by snails. Adding other nutrients leads to a balanced diet, that might be lacking in just algae sheets. Feeding this recipe is vastly more nutritious than what snails might find in the wild, so yes it could be seen as over kill, but I like to think I have provided the best opportunity for them. I do not have articles to back up my feeding of this recipe, or why I think it is better than just feeding algae sheets, but again I’m just covering my bases.

It is easy to make, just follow my instructions, and you should be a good to go. I made this recipe so that the cubes will sink, and not melt in 80 degree water.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! I've been looking into using Repashy/gel based foods, and this is exactly what I've been looking for, so thanks!

Have you experimented with changing the ratios of gelatin:eek:ther ingredients? What about using agar agar instead of gelatin? Are there noticeable differences between when using gelatin + repashy, and pure repashy + other ingredients?

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not used Agar, but do not see why it would not work. The biggest problem I was having is getting a concentration that would not melt at aquarium temps 80-82. I had tried other combinations, but using Repashy with other ingredients seemed to degrade quickly in the tank. The directions for Repashy is 1 table spoon to two table spoons of water, and on its own setup well, but I found it crumbled in the tank when mixed with other ingredients, but this might have been due to the gelatin ratio I was using.

Also when Repashy is made following the products directions, it is very concentrated, so by using my method I am spreading it over two cups of water in stead of 3 tablespoons. I still have plenty of work to do in trying different combinations.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back