Snail ID assistance

ReefHorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all....hoping to get some assistance identifying what type of snail this is. I began noticing many of these in the last few days. Thinking it's a nassarius, but i typically don't see them on the rock, especially during the day. It also looks like there are many babies, as there are a ton now around 1/8" or smaller.
20210127_140254.jpg

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’ll doesn’t look right for a nassarius to me. It could be but it may also be a whelk. Do these things bury beneath the sand Bed? If it’s nassarius it should, mine do come out during the day all the time. If it’s a whelk it probably won’t bury. Better picture can help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a whelk snail. The little snout is generally tattoo patterned. Similar also is the stromboidean conch.

OP
OP
ReefHorse

ReefHorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies & info. I'm assuming they multiply easily in an aquarium because i've had quite an influx of small ones within the last week or 2

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the replies & info. I'm assuming they multiply easily in an aquarium because i've had quite an influx of small ones within the last week or 2
Strombus would

OP
OP
ReefHorse

ReefHorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’ll doesn’t look right for a nassarius to me. It could be but it may also be a whelk. Do these things bury beneath the sand Bed? If it’s nassarius it should, mine do come out during the day all the time. If it’s a whelk it probably won’t bury. Better picture can help
I see them during the day, scouring the live rock, which i know nassarius are not prone to do

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back