Snail IDs.

426HEMI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, back again with some snails this time. Snagged these in a small tide pool area while the tide was out on Oahu. Was looking for snails and was pretty excited to snag these. Didn't expect to find some so bit and so beautiful. No idea what they are though, was hoping they would be glass cleaners, but they immediately dug into the sand. One showed up a little later but haven't seen the other two since.

Snails first, then at the end a crab to ID.

17021121892428080583.jpg

72086853269205835678.jpg

37582752342349458654.jpg

Another pic of the striped one.

42331867193028245647.jpg

Mr. Crabs. 1 of 4 or 5.

89078586488166960422.jpg

And this little guy says "Hi"

77371987487995762083.jpg

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I've not been to hawaii so it's a guess but an educated one, and I say they are nerite snails. There seems a few species in hawaii and because you found them in a tide pool that would fit.

The little crabs look like a commonly found predatory species which is safer sump ed if you can. The key to crabs is if they have pointy claws they are more likely to eat things you don't want them to, if they have a spoon shaped claw they are more herbivores.

We only ever see a few species of hawaiian hermits over here so I have no idea. Hopefully it's just a smaller species as it looks cool. Maybe some one with local knowledge can help you out.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several nerites native to Hawaii, what you have found is a polished nerite or kupe'e (Nerita polita). They are commonly found in sand and thus what you are seeing is normal behavior. I have, however, never seen one with brown stripes like that before so that's an interesting find. The common name of the hermit crab you've found is the bloody hermit crab (Dardanus sanguinocarpus). It gets about 3 inches. I've seen them before, but never kept them. I'd imagine if its like the Dardanus species I have kept before, it MAY be aggressive. It's really hard to tell from the picture of the crab, but I'd guess its a xanthid crab of some sort.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word of warning about the native hermit crabs in Hawaii. I personally wouldn't trust any left handed hermit crabs. I don't know why sone aquarists trust them, but in the natural habitat they use their oversized arm to smash and kill other hermit crabs and snails. Sometimes you'll be able to see or hear this in the tidepools. If you have any questions about Hawaii sea life, feel free to tag me. I no longer live their, but I am well versed in it.

OP
OP

426HEMI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the assist everyone. Not sure if it will change the guesses, but I woke up this morning and two of the three were out of the tank and chilling on the counter where the tank sits. I found them in the water so not sure if they are just exploring or what.

Appreciate the information though, not as easy to find ID pages for snails as I thought it would be.

Note on the hermits and crabs, I don't mind aggressive species at this juncture as they are the only inhabitants of the tank. This started as just a fun project with my daughter and for now it will remain a crab only tank. Thus far I have not seen any aggressive behavior out of any of the crabs, I'll keep an eye out on them. I have a couple different species I think. One of them has a half white half black claw, cool looking little guy. Another is orange and blue. Then there is one so small I can't really see what he looks like yet.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are talking about the snails coming out of the tank, that is perfectly normal. They are an intertidal species of snail and thus will often travel out of the water, hence the name nerite snail. The black and white hermit crab is Calcinus laevimanus, the left handed hermit crab I described earlier. If well fed and given enough shells, perhaps it wouldn't kill its tankmates.

OP
OP

426HEMI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are talking about the snails coming out of the tank, that is perfectly normal. They are an intertidal species of snail and thus will often travel out of the water, hence the name nerite snail. The black and white hermit crab is Calcinus laevimanus, the left handed hermit crab I described earlier. If well fed and given enough shells, perhaps it wouldn't kill its tankmates.

Thank you. So I assume keeping them in the tank is an ongoing battle? I need to rig up something to keep them in.

I looks like one or two of the snails may have laid eggs. Not positive though. There's a trail of lacy egg looking stuff up the side of the tank.

I have about a dozen random shells in the tank so he should be happy. If he gets to be an butt I'll just return him to the ocean.

Back