snail is being weird and climbing out of fish tank

reefidiot??

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its bean a weird day but what I learned was even weirder, My snail is climbing out of the fish tank. The tank is a coralife 32 gal so he hasn't been able to get farther what the heck is going on with this snail?
1614475464276.png

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails climbing out of the water is quite common.

I had a reefing buddy who had his snails constantly climbing up the goose neck light mount to his tank lol.

Mine like to hang out on the locline returns.

20191111_220251.jpg

OP
OP
R

reefidiot??

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails climbing out of the water is quite common.

I had a reefing buddy who had his snails constantly climbing up the goose neck light mount to his tank lol.

Mine like to hang out on the locline returns.

20191111_220251.jpg
I know but this is rare and plus hes still keeping his butt in the water, I dont think its a normal behavior for this snail I think its only with this snail type in the picture they do it all the time but never this snail

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My astreas always do that

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know but this is rare and plus hes still keeping his butt in the water, I dont think its a normal behavior for this snail I think its only with this snail type in the picture they do it all the time but never this snail
I think you are worrying about nothing. He's just got it in his mind to push the boundaries and give poppa a scare. Kids these days...

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sittin on the couch the night before last playin games then, crack! I knew right away. That tell tale sound of a snail hitting wood floor. You will get to know it. They kinda dumb

OP
OP
R

reefidiot??

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sittin on the couch the night before last playin games then, crack! I knew right away. That tell tale sound of a snail hitting wood floor. You will get to know it. They kinda dumb
he is (probably) dead he kept flipping him self and last night while I was sleeping he was flipped I left him in just to make sure he is dead (he didn't show any sign of decomposition

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think hes dead now
he is (probably) dead he kept flipping him self and last night while I was sleeping he was flipped I left him in just to make sure he is dead (he didn't show any sign of decomposition
Well, they do die. They have a finite lifespan. If it is truly dead, you would know. There is a particular odor that emanates from decomposed marine life and it is unmistakable. Define "flipping himself". Again, limited lifespan and, as reported from others' experience, snails wander out of the tank for no apparent reason, you'll have to trust this happens. Do you have other snails? How are they doing? Not discounting the value of the life of this particular snail, but it is just a snail after all.

OP
OP
R

reefidiot??

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they do die. They have a finite lifespan. If it is truly dead, you would know. There is a particular odor that emanates from decomposed marine life and it is unmistakable. Define "flipping himself". Again, limited lifespan and, as reported from others' experience, snails wander out of the tank for no apparent reason, you'll have to trust this happens. Do you have other snails? How are they doing? Not discounting the value of the life of this particular snail, but it is just a snail after all.
my snails are alright but my snail is like flipped on its shell alone he didn't smell bad but I doubt he decomposed the other snails are fin I'm hoping hes ok I don't want one of the "precursors" of the tank to die

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails in the wild are accustomed to high and low tides and spend plenty of time outside the water.

OP
OP
R

reefidiot??

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been the next day it doesn't move but like a normal person I move it out of the water a tiny bit smelled it and it doesn't smell like Wendy's food so I think the snail is alive

OP
OP
R

reefidiot??

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He died, But he lived??? SO like smelt rot this morning but like I left him so the hermit could take a bite but than he just casually stopped rotting and went on the glass or in other words I have a undead snail.

Last edited:

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He died, But he lived??? SO like smelt rot this morning but like I left him so the hermit could take a bite but than he just casually stopped rotting and went on the glass or in other words I have a undead snail.
The Walking Dead... It had to start somewhere. Now we know who to blame as all our invertebrates start dying and coming back. Just takes one undead fish to transfer to humans. It'd be my Tangs. Always nipping at my hands when it goes into the tank...o_O

OP
OP
R

reefidiot??

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Walking Dead... It had to start somewhere. Now we know who to blame as all our invertebrates start dying and coming back. Just takes one undead fish to transfer to humans. It'd be my Tangs. Always nipping at my hands when it goes into the tank...o_O
Oh my gosh right?? Here's the thing I Still see wounds on him I'm not kidding HE SHOULD BE DEAD. But I guess we all need a zombie apocalypse some time right. It's bound to happen someday I'm going to sell a coral and that coral will have a baby snail on it and the apocalypse starts and just like red velvet it kills the fish but instead they are brought back to wreak havoc on the living and soon enough not even fritz copper won't heal them. God help us all.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back