Snail observation tank following QT

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started the use of a 20 gallon tank for observation of snails (with plans of other inverts), using a tank I used for QT (copper, prazi, metro).

Following QT, I did 100% water change and scrubbed all pieces. I have new bio and mechanical media and sponge filter. I also have polyfilter and carbon media. Everything is doing fine and I'm seeing active copepods in the tank following use of seeded media from DT... But now I'm concerned because I read there could be some residual copper, so I used the Hanna Instrument and it came up 0.17 ppm!! Retest showed 0.15 ppm!!!

Should I be concerned? How accurate is the Hanna, could this be an error? What other measures are recommend?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently the hanna isn't accurate at lower levels. Unless your reused sand and rock, I doubt that is the actual amount

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started the use of a 20 gallon tank for observation of snails (with plans of other inverts), using a tank I used for QT (copper, prazi, metro).

Following QT, I did 100% water change and scrubbed all pieces. I have new bio and mechanical media and sponge filter. I also have polyfilter and carbon media. Everything is doing fine and I'm seeing active copepods in the tank following use of seeded media from DT... But now I'm concerned because I read there could be some residual copper, so I used the Hanna Instrument and it came up 0.17 ppm!! Retest showed 0.15 ppm!!!

Should I be concerned? How accurate is the Hanna, could this be an error? What other measures are recommend?
When you say scrubbed all pieces, what are those pieces and what are they made out of? Copper actually absorbs pretty well into plastics (Also rocks and sand) and it also will indeed release it when the water is clean.

How concerned do you need to be... Well I would say running some CupriSorb and you will be in good shape... Or do another large water change as once the copper leaches back into the water that is it so it really should be a one time issue. Knowing this will be inverts I would do the media such as running the Cuprisorb or something similar will continuously remove it for the next little while to make sure you are zero. Honestly a small bit will go al ong way with what you are dealing with. Hope that helps!!

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say scrubbed all pieces, what are those pieces and what are they made out of? Copper actually absorbs pretty well into plastics (Also rocks and sand) and it also will indeed release it when the water is clean.

How concerned do you need to be... Well I would say running some CupriSorb and you will be in good shape... Or do another large water change as once the copper leaches back into the water that is it so it really should be a one time issue. Knowing this will be inverts I would do the media such as running the Cuprisorb or something similar will continuously remove it for the next little while to make sure you are zero. Honestly a small bit will go al ong way with what you are dealing with. Hope that helps!!
I scrubbed all components of the HOB plastic filter, glass walls of tank and silicone, plastic thermometer, ammonia badge, etc, with a bin of RODI. I read now that I should have used vinegar.. I don't have any sand in yet but want to add some to observe some sand sifter snails

I used copper power which is why I opted for the polyfilter, supposed to be better for removal. Apparently it'll change color to the contaminants it picks up but have not noticed a color change.. it's been like 2 weeks now and everything is doing well and I have active copepods.. does it sound like I'm safe to proceed?

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it sound like I'm safe to proceed?
If you are running polyfilter then I would say you are good to go, you may want to swap out your filter just to triple-check, but you should be in good shape. For the record, I do test copper at all sorts of levels with Hanna products and I have never had any issues testing low numbers. I will have to look into this if its a know issue.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back