Snail poop and snail poop and MOAR snail poop!

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys.
My 13.5 Gal EVO is an INVERT and CORAL ONLY tank. I used to to quarantine 6 turbo snails for 76 days plus. They have since been moved to the DT. What is left in my sand bed is DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!.

puke GIF

There is SO MUCH snail poop and not on the surface. I mean IN the sand bed. I tried vacuuming it out last night but there was way too much and the snail poop just kind of vortexed in the siphon before falling back down to the sandbed. I have two nassarius snails that are still in there but they just kind of chill in one spot until lights out and do their thing on the surface.

I cant believe I am about to ask this because they give me the heebie jeebies... if I got my hands on some bristle worms and added them, would they clean all the snail poop in the sand under the surface? or is something else that would dive down and consume massive amounts of turbo poop?

Thanks!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see my snail breeding tank on cleaning day…
1653575974083.gif

That said, you’ll want to double down on detritivores that will consume the poop, try looking into scavengers such as hermit crabs or possible nassarius. Some species will be more effective than others. My pistol shrimp kept the sandbed in my evo spotless.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys.
My 13.5 Gal EVO is an INVERT and CORAL ONLY tank. I used to to quarantine 6 turbo snails for 76 days plus. They have since been moved to the DT. What is left in my sand bed is DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!.

puke GIF

There is SO MUCH snail poop and not on the surface. I mean IN the sand bed. I tried vacuuming it out last night but there was way too much and the snail poop just kind of vortexed in the siphon before falling back down to the sandbed. I have two nassarius snails that are still in there but they just kind of chill in one spot until lights out and do their thing on the surface.

I cant believe I am about to ask this because they give me the heebie jeebies... if I got my hands on some bristle worms and added them, would they clean all the snail poop in the sand under the surface? or is something else that would dive down and consume massive amounts of turbo poop?

Thanks!
sure its not some kinda algae? anyways, nass and ceriths! (smallest species in the reefcleaners assorted smaller conchs too)

6 turbos sounds crazy for a tank that size

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure its not some kinda algae? anyways, nass and ceriths! (smallest species in the reefcleaners assorted smaller conchs too)

6 turbos sounds crazy for a tank that size
It was too small.. but it was a temporary to get them quarantined so I could had them to my biocube to help with a algae issue. I kept them well feed with nori…. Hence probably all the snail poop :face-with-tears-of-joy: I’ll to get a better picture tonight. But this was from a couple weeks ago when I added water and it so tuned the surface showing the poop below.
ABC1F38C-8B98-46BF-80CD-104718F024BA.jpeg

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was too small.. but it was a temporary to get them quarantined so I could had them to my biocube to help with a algae issue. I kept them well feed with nori…. Hence probably all the snail poop :face-with-tears-of-joy: I’ll to get a better picture tonight. But this was from a couple weeks ago when I added water and it so tuned the surface showing the poop below.
Edit to add the Nass snails are doing a thing to help.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh, I always thought those were some type of worm.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cerith MVP, cerith #1

Nass would help too.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, so when I had a FW shrimp tank it was overrun by tiny snails and the amount of fecal matter snails produce is crazy!

Imo nassarius perhaps but I feel as if they only overturn the bed more so than vacuum it bc they tend to hide in it when NOT feeding.

what eats snail poop? Which is prob partially digested algae bits. Which is detritus.

I’d prob put in something like a sand cuke like a tiger tail (stays small)

harpacticoid pods that will stay alive.

filter feeding organisms like dusters, and stir up my sand bed often.

use a HOB or similar sponge filter to polish the water after stirring the sand bed.

better siphon.

edit: I saw the pic, r u sure this is snail poo???

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, so when I had a FW shrimp tank it was overrun by tiny snails and the amount of fecal matter snails produce is crazy!

Imo nassarius perhaps but I feel as if they only overturn the bed more so than vacuum it bc they tend to hide in it when NOT feeding.

what eats snail poop? Which is prob partially digested algae bits. Which is detritus.

use a HOB or similar sponge filter to polish the water after stirring the sand bed.

better siphon.

Hey thanks! I'll look into some of those suggestions. I'm 99.5% sure thats what it is... but Im not an expert on the subject :winking-face-with-tongue: thoughts on what else it could be?

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see my snail breeding tank on cleaning day…
1653575974083.gif

That said, you’ll want to double down on detritivores that will consume the poop, try looking into scavengers such as hermit crabs or possible nassarius. Some species will be more effective than others. My pistol shrimp kept the sandbed in my evo spotless.
not another pistol......:smirking-face:
HAHAHA :winking-face-with-tongue:

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

better siphon.

I would recommend Ceriths too

ah and a cleaner shrimp

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back