SNAIL YES! Your favorite snails & why you love them!

How important are having the right snails in your reef?

• VERY Important

Votes: 302 43.8%
  • Important

Votes: 289 41.9%
  • Not So Important

Votes: 65 9.4%
  • I don't have snails

Votes: 29 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 5 0.7%

• Total voters

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus, I put 9 in my 110G bare bottom back in February of this year.

When I got them they were no bigger than the nail on my little finger.
Now they are the diameter of one inch PVC some are closer to 1.25 inch PVC.
I don't know how big these guys get, but soon they will be large enough to move my rock around LoL.
I have never seen additions, so they are not breeding or the littles are not surviving.
Or maybe but very unlikely I have all males or females.

I have been concerned they will starve as my brown algae, has been gone for a long while now, but they don't seem to consume the green stuff on the glass.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus, Turbos and nassarius seem to be the only ones that live long term in any of my tanks. By long term I consider 1+ years.

Scott's reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite snail is the Mexican Turbo. 2. The reason being is they are always hungry and eager to graze on algae. One word of caution though is they'll plow threw coral not glued done and they excrete lots of poo but to me it's. Coral food.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Trochus because they reproduce so well, never have to buy them anymore
2. Nassarius cuz they're cool and dig in the sand
3. Cerith as good general grazers
4. Bumblebee for (hopefully) vermetid control, and they look cool

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I am going to have to read all the reply's to see what I am missing ,, I voted not so important lol I kinda always went by ,, big snails to cover the large areas ,, smaller snails to get into the tight places ,,

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano conchs are my favorite. They are great and unobtrusive. Pretty much the only snail I needed in my frag system.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus, I put 9 in my 110G bare bottom back in February of this year.

When I got them they were no bigger than the nail on my little finger.
Now they are the diameter of one inch PVC some are closer to 1.25 inch PVC.
I don't know how big these guys get, but soon they will be large enough to move my rock around LoL.
I have never seen additions, so they are not breeding or the littles are not surviving.
Or maybe but very unlikely I have all males or females.

I have been concerned they will starve as my brown algae, has been gone for a long while now, but they don't seem to consume the green stuff on the glass.
Took me over $100 to find some LFS Trochus that are finally breeding in my tank.
Love seeing babies everywhere !!

Screw you algae :p

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack this thread, but I've been battling red turf algae for about six months. I found a few posts that urchins and Mexican Turbo Snails go after red turf algae. I have a couple spiny urchins and a tuxedo urchin that went after some hair algae, but not the red turf.

They're so large, but I'm getting a few Mexican Turbos next week. Wondering if anyone out there had a good experience with red turf algae-eating snails, and what species?
What is red turf algae...just curious and pardon the hijack of the hijack
Stomatellas, but I cant find them anymore.
I've never purchased them or found them for sale, for me they kinda just show up like limpets, et

Trochus, Turbos and nassarius seem to be the only ones that live long term in any of my tanks. By long term I consider 1+ years.
Ceriths can live a few years also, well at least the smart ones that figure out there is a floor in the "great beyond" of the aquarium or those that outsmart hungry hermits looking for a new house

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails spread the love! Here is a crappy pic of a Yuma hitching a rid on one of my snails :D

20191210_201747.jpg

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is red turf algae...just curious and pardon the hijack of the hijack

I've never purchased them or found them for sale, for me they kinda just show up like limpets, et

Ceriths can live a few years also, well at least the smart ones that figure out there is a floor in the "great beyond" of the aquarium or those that outsmart hungry hermits looking for a new house

Not my tank, but this is a picture from another post.

Red Turf Algae.jpg

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 x old & huge Trochus snail, 1 x old & huge Turbo & hundreds of tiny baby Turbo snails, 2++ x Abalones, a lot of small Nassarius snails. Some were purchased as a couple snails and all died except for the oldie snail. Nassarius snails probably hitch hikers acquired from either imported or local corals.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if were sharing pictures.
Here is one of my Trochus in the Nano, about the size of a Nickel
Snail Dime size.jpg

Here is a pig of one of the big guys in my 110G next to a full size Banggai.
Snail-Banggai.jpg

Snail Large.jpg

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus , they do the job and they can right themselves so the don't become crab food. Conch is also awesome , they stir the sand and are quite funny looking.

JoeJoesonoma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 mexican turbo snails, 5 astera snails. But my absolute favorite is my 7 nasarius snails. Theyre great bottom feeders

AquaHobby31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money Cowrie is my favorite. Our Turbo snail is a family pet that grew to over size of a golf ball and my kids love it when she comes out and starts traveling the outside of the glass lol

BBF2672D-95F0-469C-9D29-56161B6182CC.jpeg 2D61327A-DCE9-46E4-B879-EF91BC1F5840.jpeg

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mexican Turbos. I had a horrible algae breakout a few weeks ago. Added 50 tiny hermits, three Emerald crabs and two white Urchins and 10 regular turbos with a little reef flux (50% dose I had on hand). They were working slowly, but when another LFS mentioned Mexican's a week later I almost didn't get them, but he said "nothing works like a Mexican"... he was right. 8 cleaned up most the tank in a few days (with the rest of the lazy clean up crew helping out). Then they took on my glass and literally knocked out my side walls overnight. Now I am moving some of my CC and a few of them to my Refugium so they won't starve. This is now my favorite snail, and they even had some coraline already on them.

Kscope

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius snails are awesome to watch. Popping out of the sand and cruising along like a hovercraft.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 75 37.7%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back