Snails. freaking Snails.

aden4you

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically, I have 3 Trochus Snails I think. I brought them yesterday and 2 of them are sitting above the water line and climbing into the filtration in the back (I have an aqua one 40 marine conversion). And then the other one is on the glass and keeps falling off and not turning its self back over. I have a semi-big blue leg hermit crab that keeps picking on it. In the past, I had 2 Trochus Snails what was eaten by the hermit crabs and now all of my hermit crabs have new shells. Is this normal behavior? thanks in advance

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They right themselves up. Hermit crabs don’t bother trochus snails cause of their defenses. Your tank water might have something wrong with it. When I first got mine, and the flow was creating movement like waves all of my trochus went up and stood there until I lowered my power heads. If they’re not getting themselves back up it means they’re not healthy or about to die I lost couple of em like this at the start.

Upvote 1

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, trochus usually stay below the water line and can right themselves…. I quit mixing snails and hermits unless there is a major size disparity in shells…
Can you send hermit to the sump or wherever?

Upvote 0

Jaxreefchris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you picked up some intertidal snails. They typically will climb up and wait for a tidal movement, which you don’t have in your tank room lol.

Upvote 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds more like Nerite snails. Can you take a pic? Is the shell rounded or pointed/cone shaped?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

aden4you

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 657ABC4E-6460-4EC0-968E-96FBC661957E.jpeg
    657ABC4E-6460-4EC0-968E-96FBC661957E.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

aden4you

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Doctorgori is correct: Trochus snails can right themselves. Mine are all over the tank (mainly on the glass), and many do hang out along the waterline, too.
I was told that. That’s why I’m so confused why they never right then self back up. I’ve checked all of my levels are fine. It’s just the Snails keep getting killed by the hermit crabs. Lucky i have 1 left so I’m going to see how he handles it for now

Upvote 0

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermit crabs are good for picking off snails for any reason. I’ve seen a few of my snails climb up onto the outlet of the ac110s but only when there’s something for them to eat there

Upvote 0

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours chill at the water line or on the overflows as my fat butt tangs rarely graze the overflows. But they do right themselves unless dead or dying. Did you acclimate correctly? Losing a few to acclimation is normal

Upvote 0

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Trochus that kept tipping itself over onto its back. This was deliberate and not just falling off a rock. I righted it a few times, and then I left it to its fate (which was a Hermit's lunch.) It had been in the tank for six months or so.

None of my Trochus have gone above the surface, if I'm doing a water change and they're near the waterline, they'll scoot back into the water.

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back