Snails from tank that has velvet

Jake_the_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So I just went to my lfs and purchased 2 trocus snails. Afterwards I browsed a bit and noticed all the tangs and clowns in the system have marine velvet. Can these snails still be used or should I rid myself of them? Any way I can clean them to insure no velvet gets in my tank?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
I've never experienced velvet so don't know the exact answer, but I believe velvet has a fallow period like ich. If that's the case you can put them in a QT tank for a few weeks with no other fish and then eventually transfer them to your main tank.

OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I've never experienced velvet so don't know the exact answer, but I believe velvet has a fallow period like ich. If that's the case you can put them in a QT tank for a few weeks with no other fish and then eventually transfer them to your main tank.
Unfortunately I dont have a qt anymore. I decided i am happy with the fish i have so the qt is now a display

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
How would I keep them alive? They need algae to eat. A qt would be clean and new no algae at all. I do have a 10g in my trunk of my car. No light. No filter. Just a heater and powerhead

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Crabs McJones

Mayor of R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Throw them in a tote or bucket with saltwater and a powerhead and let them chill in there for 76 days, feed them occassionally

Where do you go in case of a real reef tank emergency?

• Me, myself and I

Votes: 303 42.7%
  • Local Friend

Votes: 73 10.3%
  • Reef2Reef

Votes: 281 39.6%
  • Other

Votes: 53 7.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors