Snails from tank that has velvet

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just went to my lfs and purchased 2 trocus snails. Afterwards I browsed a bit and noticed all the tangs and clowns in the system have marine velvet. Can these snails still be used or should I rid myself of them? Any way I can clean them to insure no velvet gets in my tank?

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never experienced velvet so don't know the exact answer, but I believe velvet has a fallow period like ich. If that's the case you can put them in a QT tank for a few weeks with no other fish and then eventually transfer them to your main tank.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never experienced velvet so don't know the exact answer, but I believe velvet has a fallow period like ich. If that's the case you can put them in a QT tank for a few weeks with no other fish and then eventually transfer them to your main tank.
Unfortunately I dont have a qt anymore. I decided i am happy with the fish i have so the qt is now a display

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I keep them alive? They need algae to eat. A qt would be clean and new no algae at all. I do have a 10g in my trunk of my car. No light. No filter. Just a heater and powerhead

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw them in a tote or bucket with saltwater and a powerhead and let them chill in there for 76 days, feed them occassionally

Back