snails keeping neck of protein skimmer

AI Hydra

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I don't know where I saw this but I saw some where that putting a certain kind of snail in the protein skimmer will keep the skimmer neck clean. has anyone tried this? is it even advised?

Corals.com

ying yang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Im no expert but seems kind of cruel as will be in constant turbulant water or all the bubbles ( will all the bubbles cause health problems)
My thinking may be well wrong but i would of thought the snail would stay low down in the skimmer where the water is where it doesnt get as dirty maybe anyway?
And if it did go up into neck of skimmer it wouldnt be in water as in the neck is where whe bubbles are and popping ?
So if this the case they wouldnt be even cleaning neck of the skimmer.
But im new to saltwater and only owned one skimmer so my thinking is going off how my skimmers looks and behaves

BRS

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
This sounds like a nightmare.

The skimmer and neck are designed in a certain way. They aren't designed to have a snail shell in there.

Good luck setting it. The overflow height would change with every move of the snail blocking what is supposed to be a clean plastic taper.

SPS2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Cerith snails wind up in mine all the time. I just drop them back in the tank. They are quite remarkable in their ability to survive adverse conditions. Often, I remove them from the outside of the tank and drop them back in the middle.

AI Nero 5

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 180 42.1%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 12 2.8%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 36 8.4%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 186 43.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 3.3%
Torch SALE