snails keeping neck of protein skimmer

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know where I saw this but I saw some where that putting a certain kind of snail in the protein skimmer will keep the skimmer neck clean. has anyone tried this? is it even advised?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im no expert but seems kind of cruel as will be in constant turbulant water or all the bubbles ( will all the bubbles cause health problems)
My thinking may be well wrong but i would of thought the snail would stay low down in the skimmer where the water is where it doesnt get as dirty maybe anyway?
And if it did go up into neck of skimmer it wouldnt be in water as in the neck is where whe bubbles are and popping ?
So if this the case they wouldnt be even cleaning neck of the skimmer.
But im new to saltwater and only owned one skimmer so my thinking is going off how my skimmers looks and behaves

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should probably rethink this.

I bet that all that organic material starts to rot in there. Ammonia...phos...and I wonder what salinity does in there.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a nightmare.

The skimmer and neck are designed in a certain way. They aren't designed to have a snail shell in there.

Good luck setting it. The overflow height would change with every move of the snail blocking what is supposed to be a clean plastic taper.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cerith snails wind up in mine all the time. I just drop them back in the tank. They are quite remarkable in their ability to survive adverse conditions. Often, I remove them from the outside of the tank and drop them back in the middle.

Back