Snowflake eel won’t eat???

duskpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I have a snowflake eel and he recently stopped taking food. I’ve had him for a few months now and I’ve always fed him defrosted cooked shrimp, and recently moved over to frozen raw. He took the first 1 or 2 and since then has been refusing food. I tried buying fresh raw, no interest. Scallops... no interest either.
I gave it a few days and tonight he’s been a bit active so I figured he’s hungry so I grabbed a shrimp and held it out to him and he did this weird dance of I want it... nah never mind.... actually I want it.... and never mind again. He’d act like he was gonna bite it and change his mind.
Should I just go back to cooked shrimp?
Picture of my goober included

5F20B966-0B92-4D2A-AECD-3A2F9CF9DAF4.jpeg

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try squid. I get it at Walmart in the frozen seafood section. Make sure it is completely defrosted. I have 2 snowflakes and it seems to be their favorite food.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a snowflake that lived on freshwater bait minnows for 11 years before he escaped. I know, I know, freshwater fish are bad food for seawater fish. Could it be that there's something bad about goldfish in particular as food for seawater fish? Because my snowflake did great all that time on minnows. The nice thing about minnows is they can be refrigerated and live a long time in the fridge.

No matter what else you do with your snowflake, make sure the top is super tight. Mine squeezed through a hole that was too small for him to get through. Or, so I thought. It broke my heart. Also, they get quite strong when mature. I saw mine push the cover up a bit one day.

OP
OP
D

duskpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought clams... no interest. My Walmart didn’t have squid so that was a bummer. I did get some salmon, and he was into that, but salmon is kind of expensive so I’d rather get him on something more affordable.
Any idea why he’s suddenly so picky?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back