Maybe cyber Monday will be better
45DA1E6B-423A-4644-9EA8-4B7E17D701C3.png

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much margin on equipment to discount .... from unless a seller wants to sell it as a LOSS LEADER

Now corals and fish? HUGE markups

Most times sellers try to TRIPLE their money on fish and coral.

They'll buy a $100 colony and frag it up into $300 worth of frags

Same $100 investment in equipment for sale... they may only get a $20 profit at a $120 sale price

Yes, but logically so. A portion of your dry goods does not die in transit, they don't require expensive holding tanks, food, lighting,they don't get sick, etc.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The true method of succeeding with "Black Friday" is to hold back, watch other people blow wads of cash on impulse buys, and then pick up nearly-new equipment in the New Year at a 50% discount as people realize that they didn't really need that ReefMat for their Evo...

"Black Friday" doesn't exist as a tradition in Canada, and yet I enjoy the yearly ritual of watching vendors attempt to fleece customers out of their cash by promising a foreign fantasy. Discounts from day-to-day price points are at most about 5% off (though not advertised as such). The biggest draw is Neptune's discount from their ordinarily outrageously high prices.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the BRS mystery card, you essentially get a minimum $10 off every order. With free shipping at $35, that's almost 30% off if you place the min to get shipping, plus the already discounted item. Locally, I can place a $10 order for pickup and get a $10 card making it essentially free. This is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as equipment to me it seemed like all the normal holiday sales generally. I mean if I was buying a map product in the near future I would grab it now and save a bit, but ya nothing looked like crazy good prices. I do find the sales at most holidays worthwhile for stocking up on consumables(glue/plugs/food/etc). Again nothing crazy good prices but 15% off at saltwater aquarium for most all non-map stuff is still better than full price.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the BRS mystery card, you essentially get a minimum $10 off every order. With free shipping at $35, that's almost 30% off if you place the min to get shipping, plus the already discounted item. Locally, I can place a $10 order for pickup and get a $10 card making it essentially free. This is a pretty good deal if you ask me.
But you have to place an order first to get the $10 promo assuming it's $10 like I got

Fanaticfishlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a joke, at least online. I bought 4 @noopsyche k7 pro lights October 17th for $209 each with no sales tax. I would like to add one more but I wait. Black Friday I see they are offering $39% off. I'm like heck ya. Go to the site and they are $309 and they are now charging tax. One light shipped is now $242. I'm like what the heck. Needless to say I didn't buy a light. This whole black Friday thing has becomes farce. But hey I didn't hear about anyone getting trampled so that's the positive I take away from it. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Ah yes, typical tactic used by most companies out there. It's become especially awful since Covid. Prices were normal, then they raised them up and then offered a sale price on Black friday... which was the normal price from months ago.

My husband has monster freshwater fish and has been wanting another arapaima. There was one for sale from a fish store that we have purchased from before. The fish in question was $700 back a few months ago, then they raised the price up to $900. Now they have the same arapaima selling for $700 during their "sale".

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve loved seeing how cheap named corals have been this week.
The market is over saturated and is heading for a cliff, between the big players, garage chop shops and LFS's, it's becoming too much coral and not enough buyers.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not much margin on equipment to discount .... from unless a seller wants to sell it as a LOSS LEADER

Now corals and fish? HUGE markups

Most times sellers try to TRIPLE their money on fish and coral.

They'll buy a $100 colony and frag it up into $300 worth of frags

Same $100 investment in equipment for sale... they may only get a $20 profit at a $120 sale price

Almost every piece of equipment in this hobby has a 40% margin minimum. Some are 50-60%.

Fish and corals have been triple or more since I got in the hobby 17 years ago. This has to cover the DOA stuff plus everything else. Only a handful of coral retailers are retiring millionaires. Most fail. If they need to mark them up 5x to survive, then they should.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What gets me is that I bought a frag from a big name online retailer a couple months ago at regular price. That regular price was still cheaper than the black friday price as they marked the price up a considerable amount prior to black friday. Very disappointed to say the least. Just goes to show that sellers were marking prices up to make it look like they were giving deep discounts!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While equipment and supplies price have increased, I am seeing a decrease in livestock price, especially with common fish.

- Hippo tang $40
- Foxface $40
- Pintail wrasse $50
- Tomini tang $60
- Red firefish $10
- Royal Gramma $20
- Banggai cardinal $15

And many more...

And even coral price have gone down with $75 gold torches, $30 named acros like Bill Murray, many encrusters at $10-$20.

Dude, where was selling Hippo Tangs and Foxfaces for $40?

What gets me is that I bought a frag from a big name online retailer a couple months ago at regular price. That regular price was still cheaper than the black friday price as they marked the price up a considerable amount prior to black friday. Very disappointed to say the least. Just goes to show that sellers were marking prices up to make it look like they were giving deep discounts!

I hate that. Raise the price 40% to them advertise 50% off.

Back