So excited to get my first corals in today

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, new guy with his first reef tank and just added my first corals today. Tank has been up for several months and currently has 4 fish and a few shrimp and snails. I added my first 4 corals today. Tried to keep it simple with some zoas, plate coral, open brain coral and a flower pot goniopora. I know that last one is probably above my skill level but thought I would try anyways. Nothing glued in yet in case I need to move them. Running XR15 pro lights at 30% on the AB mode. Moderate flow in the tank with tuned down MP40s on reefcrest. I am really hoping I can get better at this beautiful hobby. See what you think and please offer any advice....thanks

20210612_153531.jpg 20210612_160627.jpg

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a write up from bcarl77 I’m May re PAR readings. You could be running a bit on the lower side. My local fish store was so good to lend me their PAR meter for a week for my setup. Love what you are doing with your tank!

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a write up from bcarl77 I’m May re PAR readings. You could be running a bit on the lower side. My local fish store was so good to lend me their PAR meter for a week for my setup. Love what you are doing with your tank!

Thank you, yes I need to borrow or rent a par meter and map out the tank based on various intensities. Those XR15 lights though appear to be as bright as the sun at close range when the intensity is up so just kind of being cautious about the acclimation period.

Hey, I noticed that as soon as moonlights came on, the plate coral closed up totally flat. Is that typical for this type of coral? The goniopora stayed open with moonlights on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back