so fed up with ecotech vortech lack of long term reliability

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReefEngr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just out of curiosity, why do you have the cord looped up toward the tank instead of down or out to the side? the way it looks in the picture gives water a direct path down to the dry side down the cord

I also loop my vortech cord up like that for tanks that I have vortechs on. I do it to ensure that the dryside doesn't fall off in the event that the wetside gets knocked out of position and loses magnetic contact with the dryside. The dryside is pretty heavy, so when it falls, it could get damage. If you loop it like that, the cord will prevent it from falling.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loop my upwards to. I’ve had good experience with eco tech on my MP40’s over the years. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had issues with them stopping working, wet side busted and rusted. Each incident was fixed with an out of pocket expense from me, I was given discounts to repair or replace the unit. But never was I given free stuff- I’m not complaining at all. I just keep seeing all these threads about Ecotech sending ppl free wet side and free dry side when something goes wrong. Not in my case nor do I expect it, just find it odd.

Corey

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a trio of MP10's all with issues. One of my friends had an MP10 and two MP40's crack and rust out while his other MP10/2mp40's were fine.

I think it's just a luck of the draw thing -- Unfortunately, when it comes to anything from EcoTech that isn't a radion, I've got pretty bad luck. So do those I've known. Because of this I don't personally recommend them. Especially considering the alarming upswing of problems with the QD models.

better off with tunze. They don't break. They are made of materials that don't rust. They come with a 5 year warranty, which is 4 years better than everyone else out there -- And they've been seen on the forums fixing items over 10 years out of warranty, or out right replacing them.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
better off with tunze. They don't break. They are made of materials that don't rust. They come with a 5 year warranty, which is 4 years better than everyone else out there -- And they've been seen on the forums fixing items over 10 years out of warranty, or out right replacing them.

Agreed but I just got 2 x 6255s and the manual says 24 month warranty and not 5-years like I expected. That said I have heard plenty of stories of Tunze standing behind their product past warranty expiration hence I voted with my money and bought their product. I am very confident they will not disappoint and don't expect any issues during and post warranty period.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed but I just got 2 x 6255s and the manual says 24 month warranty and not 5-years like I expected. That said I have heard plenty of stories of Tunze standing behind their product past warranty expiration hence I voted with my money and bought their product. I am very confident they will not disappoint and don't expect any issues during and post warranty period.

That is unusual! I wonder if it's because the 6255 is an absolute beast and it's high output literally causes wear and tear... On the other hand, the new stream 3 is also a beast, and it's design literally causes almost zero wear whatsoever... So hard to say! I am definitely used to the 5 year warranty.

Although yes, on the other forum, I've seen the guys at Tunze replace someones 12-15 year old 6095 with a brand new one -- Just had to ship in his old one, and pay shipping on the new one. Pretty wild... You don't see that, even from the best of companies.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is unusual! I wonder if it's because the 6255 is an absolute beast and it's high output literally causes wear and tear... On the other hand, the new stream 3 is also a beast, and it's design literally causes almost zero wear whatsoever... So hard to say! I am definitely used to the 5 year warranty.

Although yes, on the other forum, I've seen the guys at Tunze replace someones 12-15 year old 6095 with a brand new one -- Just had to ship in his old one, and pay shipping on the new one. Pretty wild... You don't see that, even from the best of companies.

I think the 2 year warranty on DC pump models that aren't the Stream 3 Mag lev pump are because of the life expectancy of certain epoxy potted parts like the hall effect sensor in the motor block itself. Just not realistic to warranty something right up to and possibly past it's naturally expected failure point. It would be imprudent from a business standpoint of course.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 2 year warranty on DC pump models that aren't the Stream 3 Mag lev pump are because of the life expectancy of certain epoxy potted parts like the hall effect sensor in the motor block itself. Just not realistic to warranty something right up to and possibly past it's naturally expected failure point. It would be imprudent from a business standpoint of course.
My tunze 6095 DC pumps have a 5 year warranty. One of them is 12+ years old now, works perfectly like the <1 year old 6095 I have.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tunze 6095 DC pumps have a 5 year warranty. One of them is 12+ years old now, works perfectly like the <1 year old 6095 I have.
6095 comes with a 2 year warranty. Maybe when you bought yours it was 5, but they've certainly wisened up if that's the case cause it's currently a 2 year warranty as far as I can tell.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6095 comes with a 2 year warranty. Maybe when you bought yours it was 5, but they've certainly wisened up if that's the case cause it's currently a 2 year warranty as far as I can tell.
That would be quite a shame then! The only thing tunze did that I haven't liked.

I wonder if my pump was NOS (new old stock).

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not what I wanted to hear after just buying one.[emoji51]

I included an MP40 as part of a package deal on a tank I sold almost 3 years back to someone in the hobby. As far as I know, it is still running good and I had it for ~6 years I think. Never had an issue and no issues with any of them I've had.

Hopefully, it will be the same for you on your purchase.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look , everyone has their own experiences, I can tell you the unit is properly installed as per ecotech directions and has not been abused in any way.

I don't doubt you one-bit deansreef. I'm sorry you have had a problem.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a guess, but it's possible that variable longevity of the units can in part depend on how they're used. If they're constantly run at maximum speed or doing frequent rapid speed changes, I'd expect them to wear out faster. It may indeed be just a coincidence but all my MPs have been working flawless for 2+ years now, using mostly Lagoon and Constant modes, and always under 70% output.

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eco-tech said it was a stuck button on the controller I’m not buying it I’m not even gonna open the dang box things going up for sale

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just out of curiosity, why do you have the cord looped up toward the tank instead of down or out to the side? the way it looks in the picture gives water a direct path down to the dry side down the cord
This is the way it says to do it in the instructions. Odd I suppose but I’ve never had an issue.... I’m sure it’s well sealed as it’s intended use is wet locations....

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had an MP40 for many years, bought an MP40QD and it now has maybe 2years working flawlessly. I abuse these pumps without maintenance and they keep working fine.

I think the MP40’s have less issues than the MP60’s, have heard many cases/problems with the larger model. Nonetheless in your case after so many issues, def sell it as it is a bad one.

Merv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry to rant, just so fed up with ecotech lack of reliability issues. my story is long, I have an ecotech vortech MP60w quiet drive and have had the item in for service 3 times in less than 1 year...serial number is 81236205798095...this has had a new wet side, dry side and controller all replaced ( at my expense ) and now its down again... don't know what's broken this time... I keep this machine cleaned and properly installed. Just so frustrated because I know they will tell me to send in ( at my expense) and then it will be looked at and then I will get a call asking me to replace at my cost something else!!!!! who else is lost pretty much all faith in the product line?

regards, Dean
I’ve got three MP 40’s and a Vortex L1 and have had no issues of any type in the 1 1/2 years my tank has been running.

Dantheman79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted a thread regarding my EcoTech products... not happy either. 3 MP40s and 1 Radion XR30 G4Pro all not working.... just sent in the 3 pumps today. Will talk to the reps tomorrow about my light. Everything is only 4 months old and never abused, dropped, or ran at 100%. No reason and frankly no excuse with the price tag...

Inca Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry to rant, just so fed up with ecotech lack of reliability issues. my story is long, I have an ecotech vortech MP60w quiet drive and have had the item in for service 3 times in less than 1 year...serial number is 81236205798095...this has had a new wet side, dry side and controller all replaced ( at my expense ) and now its down again... don't know what's broken this time... I keep this machine cleaned and properly installed. Just so frustrated because I know they will tell me to send in ( at my expense) and then it will be looked at and then I will get a call asking me to replace at my cost something else!!!!! who else is lost pretty much all faith in the product line?

regards, Dean
Hi where can I find the serial number of my mp60 ?
Sent

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back