So FRUSTRATED! Wrasse dies over night in DT after very successful QT.

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sad right now. I feel like I did everything right and still some how I managed to allow another fish to die under my care. In one short year I have had 5 fish die under my care. I have no where near my ideal stock list in the tank but I feel like Im done.

On October 1st I bought a Yellow Coris Wrasse and a Mccoskers wrasse. The MC wrasse looked a little rough and skinny but I got him any way. Over the next couple of days the MC kept improving but 4 days latter I noticed an internal parasite coming out of the yellow which ended up taking him out.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/yellow-coris-wrasse-with-white-stringy-poop.328965/

I contacted my friend at amazing aquariums and reefs and made a trade for a new and larger yellow coris on the 10th of October. No problems from any of them the whole time. Both ate great and put on weight.

I did 3 rounds of Prazi Pro all spaced a week out.

Last night I thought it was time to transfer the fish over because 30 days was up (41 for MC wrasse). I made sure the salinity and temp where the same and PH was within .5. The Yellow went straight into the sand and the MC found a hiding place.

Upon waking up this morning before the lights came on the Yellow was zooming around the front glass and the MC was rolling on the ground not breathing. I tried to wake the MC by waving my hand but he was for sure dead. I took him out and put him in fresh tap water to see if any flukes would come off. None did.

I can't believe this happened. I did so much research and dedicated a ton of time towards these fish and thought I did everything right but some how I killed another fish. :(:(:(

The pictures are not the best but idk they might help some one tell me what I did wrong and help me not have this happen again in the future.

IMG_2590.JPG
IMG_7063.JPG
IMG_7229.JPG
IMG_5614.JPG

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, should I tear down the QT? I would really like to clean up that area but if I need to take the yellow our all the fish out I would like to not set it up again. All I want is the best lives for these creatures that I selfishly choose to live in my living room. :(:(:(

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes this happens. I am so sorry it has hit you so hard. I have had many fish do great and make it through even 6-8 weeks of qt and only to perish in my main system within months. It is usually because they were picked on by others. What other fish do you have in the system? Did you try an acclimation box for 24 -48 hours (making sure to have hiding places in the box too)? This helps transition a lot for the other fish.

Sometimes we do everything right and they still do not survive. We do not know the life they had prior to us receiving them and stress and diet can just take time to cause their demise. I see so many of our aquarium fish with destroyed livers. Most after me or my friends have only had them a couple months.

I am sorry. I always tear down my qt and only use when needed.

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is difficult. One question came to my mind. Why did you do three rounds of Prazipro? I’ve always found two rounds lasting about 24 hours each, a week apart, to be all that’s needed

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes this happens. I am so sorry it has hit you so hard. I have had many fish do great and make it through even 6-8 weeks of qt and only to perish in my main system within months. It is usually because they were picked on by others. What other fish do you have in the system? Did you try an acclimation box for 24 -48 hours (making sure to have hiding places in the box too)? This helps transition a lot for the other fish.

Sometimes we do everything right and they still do not survive. We do not know the life they had prior to us receiving them and stress and diet can just take time to cause their demise. I see so many of our aquarium fish with destroyed livers. Most after me or my friends have only had them a couple months.

I am sorry. I always tear down my qt and only use when needed.

The only other fish i have are 2 clowns and one starry eyed blenny. I watched them last night and they didn’t even notice the new fish.

I know this is difficult. One question came to my mind. Why did you do three rounds of Prazipro? I’ve always found two rounds lasting about 24 hours each, a week apart, to be all that’s needed[/QUOTE

I did 3 rounds because i had time and didn’t see why not because they ate through the round prior.

As far as bullies. No there are not any meanies.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still consider myself new at three years but fish simply disappearing or being munched on by the fire shrimp in the am for no reason is part of the hobby. I’m also not sure that observation alone for a week getting used to your food and lights isn’t stress enough to bring out most significant diseases. Than treat if you see something the fish’s immunity doesn’t fix

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still consider myself new at three years but fish simply disappearing or being munched on by the fire shrimp in the am for no reason is part of the hobby. I’m also not sure that observation alone for a week getting used to your food and lights isn’t stress enough to bring out most significant diseases. Than treat if you see something the fish’s immunity doesn’t fix
Thanks, I watched him for just over 40 days in the qt and used the same food I use in my DT. Its just crazy that he died in under 12 hours of being in the DT after being super healthy in the QT.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have usually seen some sort of sign. Hiding a lot or not eating prior. But I have had fish go through at to die first week. Really sucks. How old are the clowns? They can be jerks and may have bothered him all night,

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have usually seen some sort of sign. Hiding a lot or not eating prior. But I have had fish go through at to die first week. Really sucks. How old are the clowns? They can be jerks and may have bothered him all night,
They are kinda young. Been in the tank for probably 6 months. They are still kinda small and not aggressive yet. I watched them until about midnight and woke up at 6 to find the wrasse dead. He seemed fine hiding last night like he usually did in the qt. Only breathing a little heavy but nothing to raise concern.
In the qt the wrasse was out almost all day and ate more than the yellow. He was a real pig.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I watched him for just over 40 days in the qt and used the same food I use in my DT. Its just crazy that he died in under 12 hours of being in the DT after being super healthy in the QT.

You watched him but you treated him with meds, three rounds, for what disease? That’s my question: Do all fish need treatment in QT or can you just see how they do?

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a situation with a long-finned wrasse where it disappeared in the middle of the day. It had been through 2 GC treatments and copper in the QT. It ate right away in the DT. The third day in the DT, it ate normally during the morning feeding. We had company over that day so the afternoon and evening feedings were quick, and I paid no attention to the fish. Later that night, I thought about the afternoon and evening feedings and thought that I didn't remember seeing the long-finned wrasse. The tank lights were already off so I had to wait until the next morning to see if the wrasse was missing or if I just didn't notice it during those feedings. I never saw the wrasse again. I thought it might have gotten into my Shadow overflow, but it didn't, and it wasn't in my sump. My guess was that I was in such a hurry and paying so little attention during the two feedings, the wrasse jumped out while my screen top was open, and it either jumped behind the tank/stand where I couldn't see it, or it landed in front of the tank, and my dog got it. My long-finned wrasse was quarantined and added to the tank with a yellow-flanked wrasse, but the yellow-flanked never bothered it. It might have died, but it never showed signs of disease and eagerly ate every meal. I'm still baffled by what might have happened to this wrasse.

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You watched him but you treated him with meds, three rounds, for what disease? That’s my question: Do all fish need treatment in QT or can you just see how they do?
I believe prazipro is a very mild medication that treats a wide range of potential issues so why not. It’s not hard and to my knowledge doesn’t hurt the fish so I guess I’m kinda of using it like copper.

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a situation with a long-finned wrasse where it disappeared in the middle of the day. It had been through 2 GC treatments and copper in the QT. It ate right away in the DT. The third day in the DT, it ate normally during the morning feeding. We had company over that day so the afternoon and evening feedings were quick, and I paid no attention to the fish. Later that night, I thought about the afternoon and evening feedings and thought that I didn't remember seeing the long-finned wrasse. The tank lights were already off so I had to wait until the next morning to see if the wrasse was missing or if I just didn't notice it during those feedings. I never saw the wrasse again. I thought it might have gotten into my Shadow overflow, but it didn't, and it wasn't in my sump. My guess was that I was in such a hurry and paying so little attention during the two feedings, the wrasse jumped out while my screen top was open, and it either jumped behind the tank/stand where I couldn't see it, or it landed in front of the tank, and my dog got it. My long-finned wrasse was quarantined and added to the tank with a yellow-flanked wrasse, but the yellow-flanked never bothered it. It might have died, but it never showed signs of disease and eagerly ate every meal. I'm still baffled by what might have happened to this wrasse.

Wow sorry for your loss. All of the reasons are for sure good chances. I saw a video once of a guy taking apart his tank and he found bones and a fish that wedged itself in the rock work before it died. He believed it could have been from over a year prior. Your story just reminded me of that.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. I know the feeling about losing fish. I lost 4 a few months ago when my tanked cracked. They were fine for a few weeks in the new tank. No spikes or a mini cycle. Just stress was the cause lowering their slime coat. Looked like brook and velvet hit at the same time. Lost my last bar gray clown fish, spotted mandarin, tail spot blenny, and swissguard basslet.
Don't give up hope. It seems like you did a great job. Sometimes things just happen that we can not control. I personally would avoid putting 2 wrasse together that are males and only do 2 rounds of Prazipro. I have a yellow & purple wrasse(sometimes sold as a yellow coris)in a 65g almost a year old. Very cool tank mate. I have asked some of the knowledgeable members of R2R. They have told me I would be highly rolling the dice adding an MC.

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. I know the feeling about losing fish. I lost 4 a few months ago when my tanked cracked. They were fine for a few weeks in the new tank. No spikes or a mini cycle. Just stress was the cause lowering their slime coat. Looked like brook and velvet hit at the same time. Lost my last bar gray clown fish, spotted mandarin, tail spot blenny, and swissguard basslet.
Don't give up hope. It seems like you did a great job. Sometimes things just happen that we can not control. I personally would avoid putting 2 wrasse together that are males and only do 2 rounds of Prazipro. I have a yellow & purple wrasse(sometimes sold as a yellow coris)in a 65g almost a year old. Very cool tank mate. I have asked some of the knowledgeable members of R2R. They have told me I would be highly rolling the dice adding an MC.
Interesting. Thanks for the advice. They seemed like best friends in th qt. Would swim up and check each other out then go on their way. No aggression that i ever saw. The mc was Juvenal so maybe that helped.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Thanks for the advice. They seemed like best friends in th qt. Would swim up and check each other out then go on their way. No aggression that i ever saw. The mc was Juvenal so maybe that helped.
Don't get me wrong. I believe there is always a chance if you can give two fish that are not the best compatibility the right sleeping spaces. So they are waking up well rested and feel like there is no need for a territorial throw down. That is one issue out of the way. Next is food, swimming room for them to burn off their need to swim back and forth all day, and things to interest them to inspect as they are cruising around. You can pull it off. Some people say use a mirror if one is getting to that bullying frame of mind. There are plenty of wrasse that are compatible. There is one graph someone had made. I will try to find it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back