So Here we are CanuckReefer finally doing a build thread 25+ years later lol...

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank ! I’m always happy when I read stories of people having simple setups that work.

I have a sumpless tank as well and I am wondering about your UV sterilizer. How long have you had it and would you recommend it ? My tank is just finished cycling so is a UV a good thing to have now or in a few months ?

I hope you don’t mind my questions in your build thread. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If lowering nutrients is truly yr goal , Xenia would need to be propagated weekly , I think it would become tiring when chaeto can do that quite easily and you don’t need to scrape it off, just throw out for easy nutrient control. You can modify a aqua clear hob filter to be a fuge , just use some egg crate / cheap light and put chaeto inside
Have been considering this too...good idea. It's not really lowering them, that is the goal, but keeping them steady. They have been like a rock around 10, maybe an uptick to 12 or 13 since dumping the skimmer ( it wasn't pulling much slime anyway, and my nitrates constantly zeroed out for years) about 8 or 9 months ago. It's just after I added the Xenia, coincidence or not? I'm really wondering if its the old rock doing the heavy lifting for me? Or maybe my assortment of softies?
Anyway, I love the Xenia , but I've got to get a handle on it lol.
Thinking hard on the Cheato, and if Nitrates start to bottom out, can always pull it until they climb. Its cheap enough....

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been considering this too...good idea. It's not really lowering them, that is the goal, but keeping them steady. They have been like a rock around 10, maybe an uptick to 12 or 13 since dumping the skimmer ( it wasn't pulling much slime anyway, and my nitrates constantly zeroed out for years) about 8 or 9 months ago. It's just after I added the Xenia, coincidence or not? I'm really wondering if its the old rock doing the heavy lifting for me? Or maybe my assortment of softies?
Anyway, I love the Xenia , but I've got to get a handle on it lol.
Thinking hard on the Cheato, and if Nitrates start to bottom out, can always pull it until they climb. Its cheap enough....
The fuge if ran opposite of tank lights also helps keep ph balanced and will be a safe space for pods / micro fauna to propagate. Would be easy to manage if chaeto doing too well simply leave light off or like you said throw out most of it

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly wouldn't add a HOB if it were me. I just don't consider the gains from the space worth the maintenance on a 90g. At that point I would just add a HOB overflow box to a xenia scrubber tank below.

Leathers and many softies will make use of nutrients. You could just add more corals as well. Also could try to get the xenia to grow across the glass on one side instead and scrape it off for export.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also add that yr tank is super clean and I don’t see the need to lower nitrate / phos , I run my tank anywhere 20ppm -40ppm nitrate and also need to trim my Xenia lol

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank ! I’m always happy when I read stories of people having simple setups that work.

I have a sumpless tank as well and I am wondering about your UV sterilizer. How long have you had it and would you recommend it ? My tank is just finished cycling so is a UV a good thing to have now or in a few months ?

I hope you don’t mind my questions in tour build thread. :)
Thanks much, it's appreciated. Query away, no problem.
I've had 4 over 25 years. Originally Turbo Twist units that each lasted about 10 -12years? Then moved to a submersible ( I hate hoses lol) Jup brand unit that blew up on me inside of 2 months, and now this one is a 13 watt 'Ista' brand submersible. Had it for about a year. Bought from lfs. I like it, no issues thusfar and just replaced the lamp. It is proprietary unfortunately, so set me back about 50 bucks.
My opinion on after just cycled is wait it out that few months. See how much algae you get ( it will come) and then make the decision... I feel I have to have one in my system being no mech filtration or skimmer. Even though I have a large varied clean up crew. Part of it is likely paranoia lol. When you have minimal equipment, you or I should I say, scratch my head and say, gotta have it!
I have nothing negative to say about UV units. Although another thing is, I only run my UV lamp 6 hours a day on timer, and the pump itself 24/7 as I dose Live Phyto regularly, and the UV tends to kill it according to many articles I've read. This method does limit the lamp life however with the cycling, so be aware that way.

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hope you don’t mind my questions in your build thread. :)
See you are both build thread contributors so looking them up. I'm new to this aspect, but love to follow others journeys.....ok.I'm watching you two now, so behave yourselves! ;)

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few pics from today.... Monti is still gradually growing ever so slow, small bleached birdsnest in same frame, I still see the tents out? Or is it my eyes and just get rid of the thing?
Deuce is out and about as boss, and Long Tent Nem now in this spot steady for about 4-5 months. So assumed happy. Nitrates and Phos steady as a rock....keep doing what I'm doing lol.
Oh and anyone need some Xenia lol? My word....
20211114_180245.jpg
20211114_172421.jpg
20211114_171710.jpg
20211114_171702.jpg
20211114_171729.jpg
20211114_171636.jpg

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha let me guess. $25.
Canadian ..

So I’m going to assume $29.99 and purchased at either big als or nafb
Ha! Both winner winner chicken dinner! Ya 30 bones Canadian, 25 US at the time lol. Wow....I gotta keep this one alive a while longer cause I'm not paying 300 for another lol. And yes Big Al's Scarborough Rod...

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Both winner winner chicken dinner! Ya 30 bones Canadian, 25 US at the time lol. Wow....I gotta keep this one alive a while longer cause I'm not paying 300 for another lol.

I saw a thread recently that caused me to take a deep dive into Hawaii collection laws. You can TOTALLY take a vacation to Hawaii and collect marine fish. Not sure if Canadian customs cares, but here in the US and A, this is okay.

When I transition to a much larger tank in the future, I plan to take a collection vacation. Maybe alone. Ahh to spend time alone. A man can dream.

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a thread recently that caused me to take a deep dive into Hawaii collection laws. You can TOTALLY take a vacation to Hawaii and collect marine fish. Not sure if Canadian customs cares, but here in the US and A, this is okay.

When I transition to a much larger tank in the future, I plan to take a collection vacation. Maybe alone. Ahh to spend time alone. A man can dream.
Oh my, I have always wanted! I'm a scuba diver, and Keys/ Bahamas are my usual easy spots to get to, but importation here is from what I know a serious challenge unless you are a licenced retailer.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back