So Here we are CanuckReefer finally doing a build thread 25+ years later lol...

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Ontario , but funny enough you mention Lethbridge University! My cousin was the head coach of their hockey team till they scrapped it last year unfortunately.
Wow, I need to check my meds, lol ! I mixed two different events in my life. I went to Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario. :)

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I need to check my meds, lol ! I mixed two different events in my life. I went to Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario. :)
Ha! Well, I'm a good 3 or 4 hrs from Sudbury but do have some relatives up that way. I was actually thinking of Laurentian for schooling back in the day. They had a forestry based program at the time. Ended up going to Fleming for that instead. And now I'm an electrician so figure that out lol....

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love that.
I'll look into the ship charge and logistics. Assuming, box, foam, and small heat pack. Not sure if better to wait till spring or if generally stuff makes it ok 95% of the time in winter?

I've got two medium sized ones separated from main rock structure on a cool half dissolved old shell. They'd work nicely

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look into the ship charge and logistics. Assuming, box, foam, and small heat pack. Not sure if better to wait till spring or if generally stuff makes it ok 95% of the time in winter?

I've got two medium sized ones separated from main rock structure on a cool half dissolved old shell. They'd work nicely
That sounds good. I'm not too far away.

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....this old reefer finally invested in the Alk test kit lol. The few SPS I have that require moderate to lower light are doing ok slow growth not dying except the birdsnest that got hit back in summer when my AC failed, but wanted to get a handle on what we have. 11.5 DKH? I don't dose, and as many know very minimal filtration mechanical. My Nitrates at 12 tonight, typically 10-15....I have read in higher nutrient tanks the Alk holds pretty high? I do 3-4 gallons a week change on this 90 system, just to bump the elements a bit as needed....thoughts? Doesn't seem I need to dose whatsoever, Mag is always pretty high too.... @dvgyfresh , @Rmckoy , and particularly @Tamberav , and @Timfish ( you both run similar tanks in some cases to mine)... any thoughts appreciated. Keep doing what we're doing?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....this old reefer finally invested in the Alk test kit lol. The few SPS I have that require moderate to lower light are doing ok slow growth not dying except the birdsnest that got hit back in summer when my AC failed, but wanted to get a handle on what we have. 11.5 DKH? I don't dose, and as many know very minimal filtration mechanical. My Nitrates at 12 tonight, typically 10-15....I have read in higher nutrient tanks the Alk holds pretty high? I do 3-4 gallons a week change on this 90 system, just to bump the elements a bit as needed....thoughts? Doesn't seem I need to dose whatsoever, Mag is always pretty high too.... @dvgyfresh , @Rmckoy , and particularly @Tamberav , and @Timfish ( you both run similar tanks in some cases to mine)... any thoughts appreciated. Keep doing what we're doing?
I’d lower alk or raise nutrients a little .
but it depends what salt you’re using .
some have higher alk , mag .

sounds almost like reef crystals ?

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d lower alk or raise nutrients a little .
but it depends what salt you’re using .
some have higher alk , mag .

sounds almost like reef crystals ?
Yup, nailed it. I like the high mag in it.... didn't know it was so high in Alk.... is this detrimental, or its ok? Lowering Alk slightly....how do we go about that easily?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Alk has been running in the "9s" for a while. Mag is always high, last test was 1425. Calcium is also on the high end at 500 on last test. I don't have any of the heavy element eaters in my tank though.

I have been using Reef Crystals exclusively since the start and do about 10 g or so water change 2 or 3 times a month on that tank.

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Alk has been running in the "9s" for a while. Mag is always high, last test was 1425. Calcium is also on the high end at 500 on last test. I don't have any of the heavy element eaters in my tank though.

I have been using Reef Crystals exclusively since the start and do about 10 g or so water change 2 or 3 times a month on that tank.
I'm gonna re test tomorrow to confirm just before water change. My mag roughly same. What about your nitrates? Same range? 10-15? No real heavy element eaters in mine either most part, pretty much softies and a couple LPS, small SPS....

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna re test tomorrow to confirm just before water change. My mag roughly same. What about your nitrates? Same range? 10-15? No real heavy element eaters in mine either most part, pretty much softies and a couple LPS, small SPS....

Nitrates are coming down. Last test on Sunday, they were 15 (salifert) I can run a quick Hanna test now if you want an accurate number?

I have had relatively high numbers there for a while. In the +40-50 range. I recently added a small sump with a good sized skimmer to that tank which I believe is helping that issue.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a comment awhile ago on a few posts .
I can’t remember who it was regarding nutrients vs alk
With a specific number

I Maintain 7.5dkh alk
Nitrates around 5ppm and phosphates .03

higher alk would require higher nutrients but it might also be referring to sps ?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a specific number

I Maintain 7.5dkh alk

higher alk would require higher nutrients but it might also be referring to sps ?

I have had ZERO success with SPS on the frags I have tried. I have been tweaking the setup a bit in the hopes I can resolve that issue. I have a frag I got a while back that I am not sure if it SPS or LPS, but is a hard skeleton. You guys may recall this one?

20210725_135558.jpg

I had pretty much given this guy up for dead a month ago. Since adding the new sump, skimmer and flow heads, it appears to be on the rebound. I will try and grab a quick pic of it before lights out tonight.

Not sure if it's an element issue or a flow issue, but I sure hope it recovers. It is a magnificent piece.

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are coming down. Last test on Sunday, they were 15 (salifert) I can run a quick Hanna test now if you want an accurate number?

I have had relatively high numbers there for a while. In the +40-50 range. I recently added a small sump with a good sized skimmer to that tank which I believe is helping that issue.
Nah no need, thanks though.... I trust Salifert. It's usually within range somewhat. Interesting we are on same salt, similar stock, similar tank size, same on Mag, Nitrates close....your nitrates were high , mine bottomed out so dropped the skimmer....interesting comparison!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean and try to keep my alk around 8-8.5

I do not like high alk... just seems corals can stress easy if something goes wrong at higher alk.

Nitrates ... just as long as are not too low or too high. 5-20
PO4 same deal... 0.05-0.1

I don't really test Mg or Ca - it just never changes.

It seems to me... your corals are not using much alk. Not much coralline growth?

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a specific number

I Maintain 7.5dkh alk

I'm gonna take both Nitrate and Alk tomorrow again to try and nail it down....my Phos always super low, .01 maybe .02....Salifert tests again, although I used to have another for Phos, was a Yellow reagent, forget the name, it's numbers same....NYOS! that was it....

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back