So Here we are CanuckReefer finally doing a build thread 25+ years later lol...

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....this old reefer finally invested in the Alk test kit lol. The few SPS I have that require moderate to lower light are doing ok slow growth not dying except the birdsnest that got hit back in summer when my AC failed, but wanted to get a handle on what we have. 11.5 DKH? I don't dose, and as many know very minimal filtration mechanical. My Nitrates at 12 tonight, typically 10-15....I have read in higher nutrient tanks the Alk holds pretty high? I do 3-4 gallons a week change on this 90 system, just to bump the elements a bit as needed....thoughts? Doesn't seem I need to dose whatsoever, Mag is always pretty high too.... @dvgyfresh , @Rmckoy , and particularly @Tamberav , and @Timfish ( you both run similar tanks in some cases to mine)... any thoughts appreciated. Keep doing what we're doing?
Aye that’s good! I would test once a week to get an idea of yr weekly consumption of alk , but 11.5 is quite high but still in range of 7-12. I would let the nitrates rise a bit , I run mine 20-40 ppm but sps enjoys lower nitrates. One problem of high alk / low nitrate is the stony part of sps grows but the flesh doesn’t due to lower nitrate. I think I’m experiencing the opposite of that with high nitrate and lower calcium lol despite dosing daily see my torch

Attachments

• 22E23F30-AD37-46CD-9C6E-8A983F080024.jpeg
    22E23F30-AD37-46CD-9C6E-8A983F080024.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 27

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah no need, thanks though.... I trust Salifert. It's usually within range somewhat. Interesting we are on same salt, similar stock, similar tank size, same on Mag, Nitrates close....your nitrates were high , mine bottomed out so dropped the skimmer....interesting comparison!

Do you recall I had been using the Coralife 110 HOB skimmer since I set this tank up? a couple weeks ago I installed a 10g "sump" to house a new and much larger skimmer. I intend to add another 10g tank as a refugium.

Also, added a pair of good flow heads. (These things are wreaking havoc on my sandbed!!} I also did a course of "Flux-Rx" to eliminate GHA that was overwhelming my tank.

Good news is the GHA is gone. and the corals are all now looking to be on the upswing. as are my parameters. I have bubble algae to deal with now, but I am hoping to add some natural remedies to that.

I also have a pair of Kessil 360x lights (if FedEx decideds to deliver them) to replace the Wills black box ones I am running now. Won't help the water parameters I know, but should be the last hardware I need till I get things fully in check.

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean and try to keep my alk around 8-8.5

I do not like high alk... just seems corals can stress easy if something goes wrong at higher alk.

Nitrates ... just as long as are not too low or too high. 5-20
PO4 same deal... 0.05-0.1

I don't really test Mg or Ca - it just never changes.

It seems to me... your corals are not using much alk. Not much coralline growth?
Same Mg and Ca...Instant Ocean, I never worry about the Mag. Test it every 3 or 4 months always 1400 or so.

No, not too much coraline at all, the usual on the rocks, never anything on the glass, used to have that about 10 years ago....I also have an urchin wrecking crew that likely hits it hard as it develops....

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye that’s good! I would test once a week to get an idea of yr weekly consumption of alk , but 11.5 is quite high but still in range of 7-12. I would let the nitrates rise a bit , I run mine 20-40 ppm but sps enjoys lower nitrates. One problem of high alk / low nitrate is the stony part of sps grows but the flesh doesn’t due to lower nitrate. I think I’m experiencing the opposite of that with high nitrate and lower calcium lol despite dosing daily see my torch
Oh my....I am so on the fence for a Torch or Hammer....or Bubble....any one of em lol. I THINK I have the wherewithal to try them again, but still nervous....had a bubble years back that lasted me 5 years

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my....I am so on the fence for a Torch or Hammer....or Bubble....any one of em lol. I THINK I have the wherewithal to try them again, but still nervous....had a bubble years back that lasted me 5 years
I think your tank would be very welcoming to any of those plus you do water changes to keep it stable

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....this old reefer finally invested in the Alk test kit lol. The few SPS I have that require moderate to lower light are doing ok slow growth not dying except the birdsnest that got hit back in summer when my AC failed, but wanted to get a handle on what we have. 11.5 DKH? I don't dose, and as many know very minimal filtration mechanical. My Nitrates at 12 tonight, typically 10-15....I have read in higher nutrient tanks the Alk holds pretty high? I do 3-4 gallons a week change on this 90 system, just to bump the elements a bit as needed....thoughts? Doesn't seem I need to dose whatsoever, Mag is always pretty high too.... @dvgyfresh , @Rmckoy , and particularly @Tamberav , and @Timfish ( you both run similar tanks in some cases to mine)... any thoughts appreciated. Keep doing what we're doing?

What we don't have a handle on and can't measure is how endoliths, biofilms, pH gradients and surface boundry layers promote dissolution of carbonate substrates which helps maintain levels in aquaria. Like your's, I've seen ssytems maintian levels without dosing and I've seen nice looking corals with levels so low it's a surprise anything is alive let alone growing so it seems obvious to me there are processes that can help provide someo of the bicarbante, and carbonates needed. For years and years Tropicorum in Detroit grew and sold corals with only the addition of powdered araganite (CaribSea's "Aragamite" - "Coral" 2005, V2 N3 pg 11) which "shouldn't" provide much buffering assuming aquarium water column pH levels are homogeneous but obviously worked for them.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same Mg and Ca...Instant Ocean, I never worry about the Mag. Test it every 3 or 4 months always 1400 or so.

No, not too much coraline at all, the usual on the rocks, never anything on the glass, used to have that about 10 years ago....I also have an urchin wrecking crew that likely hits it hard as it develops....

Don't you use reef crystals?

Why did you test anyways? Trying to fix something?

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you use reef crystals?

Why did you test anyways? Trying to fix something?
Sorry yes Reef Crystals, mixed up as same manufacturer....not really trying to fix but get a handle on what I have going on element wise. Things are going very well last few years really, ( knock on wood) , except the brief temp issue I had, just trying to suss it all out a bit before committing to purchasing one maybe two higher end LPS...I worry, probably too much. Had two fails with Acans.... they never seemed to take hold. Might be the pygmy angels picking them off though, not sure.

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp.... bad news. I believe we have found a pin leak. Ugh. Noticed some salt on front right corner of tank a few months back and figured it was just a bit of drip from cleaning I hadn't got to when finished ( I checked underneath cabinet and all seemed ok), fast forward to today. No evidence of drip but we've got some salt creep underneath!
@Jedi1199 , @Rmckoy , @Sleeping Giant , @Tamberav ....those with larger tanks, how much time do I have here? It's a ticking time bomb I imagine to some degree. I'm not resealing this tank. It's a Marineland, pretty bare bones that has actually served me well over last 15 years. A good time to maybe go a bit larger, or might stay same size 90, not sure we'll check pricing. Happy Holidays Canuckreefer! Lol.... any thoughts appreciated.

Also what the heck are those red things in my sand ? Flatworms?
20211211_192451.jpg

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CanuckReefer Well it has already been a couple months, I'm assuming its just a drip or so... If it was ME, I would replace the tank. 15 years is a good lifespan for a tank. get a new one and then reseal the old if you like.

Biggest concern I see is the stand.. How much water damage do you have? Depending how your stand is built, a little can go a long way.

New tank, new stand, why not go for it?

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CanuckReefer Well it has already been a couple months, I'm assuming its just a drip or so... If it was ME, I would replace the tank. 15 years is a good lifespan for a tank. get a new one and then reseal the old if you like.

Biggest concern I see is the stand.. How much water damage do you have? Depending how your stand is built, a little can go a long way.

New tank, new stand, why not go for it?
Ya, that's my thoughts on new as well. No water damage evidence anywhere! Which is good..seems to be just a really slow creep. It is the standard stand that came with years back. Nothing pretty, always thought of building my own stand, or going with something different at least colour wise. Perhaps white for a change...
Ya 15 years not too shabby imo for a bare bones tank, and stand. My previous Bowfront 90 was about 11 years before it hairline cracked. That was a busy day lol.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, that's my thoughts on new as well. No water damage evidence anywhere! Which is good..seems to be just a really slow creep. It is the standard stand that came with years back. Nothing pretty, always thought of building my own stand, or going with something different at least colour wise. Perhaps white for a change...
Ya 15 years not too shabby imo for a bare bones tank, and stand. My previous Bowfront 90 was about 11 years before it hairline cracked. That was a busy day lol.

Yeh you are due for something new. If the Mrs. squawks, remind her that a divorce is cheaper in the long run. lol

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeh you are due for something new. If the Mrs. squawks, remind her that a divorce is cheaper in the long run. lol
Oh....bro.... she is a law clerk for a Family Law firm ...I am done for lol. Thank goodness she is understanding, and enjoys the tank as well. Although, I was just informed, 'if that tank changes so does our bathtub, it's gross now '.....ok ok...ok....new tub. Or maybe I just buy new, re seal the existing, and use the old tank in place of the new tub? Dare I suggest it? ;)

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, sorry to hear that ! It sucks, so close to Christmas time.

I hope tanks are easier to find in your area than mine. Here, sometimes for bigger tanks you need to wait for months.
Oh hoping we can find something! I did see an Aqueon local that will fit on my existing stand for $500? .....thinks....thinks some more.....

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a new tank. Im sorry :( the drip will worsen and become a leak. At least you have a few weeks. Mine was instant stream of water.
Well it's upgrade time then lol! So not so bad I guess....paying for it? Well we all manage somehow.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back