So Here we are CanuckReefer finally doing a build thread 25+ years later lol...

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When this transfer is complete .
I might ask for assistance… I was asked if our tank can go on the other side of the room
Bro.... she has been asking all day for a new location. I would entertain it, but issue is the hardwood in tank spot now is pitted, and not looking too great with the salt creep landing here and there.....So it's I'm not repairing an entire floor, the tank sits where it lies....

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro.... she has been asking all day for a new location. I would entertain it, but issue is the hardwood in tank spot now is pitted, and not looking too great with the salt creep landing here and there.....So it's I'm not repairing an entire floor, the tank sits where it lies....
We put the 230 where it is on the other side of the room from where the 90 was. .

i have been asked 1000’s of times and even comments like “ I wish the tank was over there .

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next was the sand rinse. I forgot how tedious a task this was from last time 16 years ago. Rinsed a good 10 X and then further 3x with RO. So here is my 50 lbs of sand....applause please because that was two hours well spent lol. ;) .... beering now, then maybe a vino as reward.
Time well spent!! Good luck with the transfer!

It will be interesting to see if your parameters stay consistent. Fresh new sand. Does a sand bed actually nitrify, or is all the action happening in the rock??

Will you be phosphate limited with all the new binding happening with new sand?

Are you worried that your sand sifting star and cucumber will have enough food?

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time well spent!! Good luck with the transfer!

It will be interesting to see if your parameters stay consistent. Fresh new sand. Does a sand bed actually nitrify, or is all the action happening in the rock??

Will you be phosphate limited with all the new binding happening with new sand?

Are you worried that your sand sifting star and cucumber will have enough food?
Thanks much. It will be real interesting agreed, will be keeping a close eye on those parameters. And you betcha, I'm worried about the Cucumber, Star , and even the Conch. Fingers crossed bigtime!!!

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....transfered! 9 hours...That was an adventure lol. Upon putting everything back together, my main powerhead and my hob filter , they blown! Off the the LFS before they closed. The powerhead 25 years, so I'd say it did its job well. The Hob, a year and half disappointing. Bought same powerhead, and a larger HOB this time.
Also upon my pal @Rmckoy recommendation, a bit of nitrifying bacteria to help things along.
Things should gradually clear over next few days would think, then I'll rearrange the rockwork. Will break off those shims tomorrow ( bang on level, the old one was very slightly off) I'm toast now lol. Thanks for the support and advice from all here! Any further recommendations are welcome.... beer time!!! :D
20211228_113010.jpg
20211228_121411.jpg
20211228_150217.jpg
20211228_150229.jpg
20211228_150255.jpg
20211228_150438.jpg
20211228_184126.jpg
20211228_184058.jpg

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing like a new build thread for an old (or is it a mature) tank! :) Most awesome! :)
Oh it's OLD Karen ( my 48 year old back is killing me) , but with now some new thrown in! And thanks! :D

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a die maker for 30 yrs. Every time we deal with US companies they do everything in Metric and we do everything in Imperial. Never figured that out.
Wow, that is odd lol... this electrician oft works in Imperial. Although occasionally gets a set of metric prints from time to time. Thankfully I've gotten used to the conversions, that I know them in my head now.

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleared right up today! I don't have much mech filtration so I'm definitely happy about that...
20211229_164109.jpg
20211229_164137.jpg

Next is painting the back this coming weekend, going same as the old one , blue.

This tank is different measurements than my old one. I see most 90's are 24 inch tall. My old one was 20 but more width (21 1/2) . Seems it was an oddball style? Anyway, with all this extra height I need to grow the rock structure up badly lol. Thinking a horseshoe type build to hide all the filters would look cool. Probably go with a few pieces of 'life rock' , bought one two months back and it looks similar right off the start, no mini cycle, and no pests.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%

Back