So Here we are CanuckReefer finally doing a build thread 25+ years later lol...

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking very nice , yea somehow this tank looks bigger lol I like Caribsea life rock or macro rock to add
Ya, it's less width, I keep thinking depth lol, but that's the 4 inch higher. It seems odd to me looking at it. I walked in and said I need a 90, and was shocked at the height. My old one was I assume a one off from Marineland manufacturer years back? I do notice less swim space significant in behind rockwork with this one. Should be good would think with the extra height. I said to the wife today, it looks more like a full frame picture compared to the old....and thanks!

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just reading about that - duncan corals being good 'indicator corals' for water quality. Never had one but I like them.
They truly are. The first one that gets upset from my group. In saying that, moved mine about 3 months back from being encroached by blasted Xenia lol, and it has never looked same since? It's healthy , continues to grow heads ,but polyps extention not near what it was originally? It obviously liked either the war or the particular flow / light in that spot.

Get one! They are beautiful when happy...

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleared right up today! I don't have much mech filtration so I'm definitely happy about that...
20211229_164109.jpg
20211229_164137.jpg

Next is painting the back this coming weekend, going same as the old one , blue.

This tank is different measurements than my old one. I see most 90's are 24 inch tall. My old one was 20 but more width (21 1/2) . Seems it was an oddball style? Anyway, with all this extra height I need to grow the rock structure up badly lol. Thinking a horseshoe type build to hide all the filters would look cool. Probably go with a few pieces of 'life rock' , bought one two months back and it looks similar right off the start, no mini cycle, and no pests.
Looks great !

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painted! Went like a madman last night, just want it done lol. I know some don't like the blue vs the black and in this case with the higher tank and low rockscape I would agree, however I've got points at LFS in New Year that should get me around 10 lbs of life rock, probably need around 20 to get the horseshoe type design I crave to hide the hideous looking filters. I've probably got around 60 -70lbs in there now, although it doesn't look like it. Anyone see an issue with adding 10 lbs of the pre seeded 'Carib Sea life rock' next week, then another 10 lbs a month later?

Also the sand is white, too white for my Sea Cucumber and Conch....so I worry wort lol.

Happy New Year friends! May 2022 be a better year for you all. And if you drink, what are you drinking. A good Tawny Port here just now, see if I make it to midnight?!?
20211231_222917.jpg

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painted! Went like a madman last night, just want it done lol. I know some don't like the blue vs the black and in this case with the higher tank and low rockscape I would agree, however I've got points at LFS in New Year that should get me around 10 lbs of life rock, probably need around 20 to get the horseshoe type design I crave to hide the hideous looking filters. I've probably got around 60 -70lbs in there now, although it doesn't look like it. Anyone see an issue with adding 10 lbs of the pre seeded 'Carib Sea life rock' next week, then another 10 lbs a month later?

Also the sand is white, too white for my Sea Cucumber and Conch....so I worry wort lol.

Happy New Year friends! May 2022 be a better year for you all. And if you drink, what are you drinking. A good Tawny Port here just now, see if I make it to midnight?!?
20211231_222917.jpg
Your good rock will seed anything you add. Add as much as you want. The blue looks great.

Happy New Year. Just a few beers by the fire because the weather was permitting. We never make it to midnight anymore lol.

img_20211231_170429854-jpg.2483686

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well … we had plans . A few drinks , but . Being up and leaving the house by 5am my body told me it wanted to fall asleep long before midnight.

Tank looks great . And agree some rocks would definitely go well .
Just a suggestion . Instead of life rocks I know of a lfs that sells large rocks , in water and sold as live rock .
but with no ammonia source is it actually live ?
I’ve added a few 15+ lb pieces to my system . Only because I wanted larger rocks .

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a brief update/pic for those interested...and thanks for being interested lol. Things still going very well about three weeks after move day. A bit more of the hazy green algae on glass than usual, but nothing to be alarmed at I think... Uncle Duncan is sulky today, as happens, everyone else adjusting very well, except the Acan I destroyed for the 4th time ( consensus on a separate thread was likely one or both of my Dwarf Angels look at Acans as a buffet), so no more purchases that way. All great most part, which is good for now , as I worry like the rest of you here lol.
20220113_202202.jpg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a brief update/pic for those interested...and thanks for being interested lol. Things still going very well about three weeks after move day. A bit more of the hazy green algae on glass than usual, but nothing to be alarmed at I think... Uncle Duncan is sulky today, as happens, everyone else adjusting very well, except the Acan I destroyed for the 4th time ( consensus on a separate thread was likely one or both of my Dwarf Angels look at Acans as a buffet), so no more purchases that way. All great most part, which is good for now , as I worry like the rest of you here lol.
20220113_202202.jpg
Looks amazing !
sparkling and brand new .

angels sure love their lps snacks .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dump those Acans in and they scream for mercy my friend....lol. Decision made, no Acans. Pick another....
Acans , favia . Lobo ,
Have all became goners to my angel .
But …, the 2 open brains I showed you .
they are still good .
Weird …..

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220113_202202.jpg
Tank is looking crisp! Ye angels love some acans glad you found the culprit lol

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back