!!!SO, HMM GUESS I'M GOING WITH AQUATIC-MAN TABLE FOR THIS ONE!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Typical with grown out wild frags. Those were the actual original frag. As you can see they never really grew at all. The thriving part of the colony was formed by new branches that sprouted out of the base. Again that's not uncommon at all in my experience. :)

Thanks for the post

Hi Adam,

This is my experience as well with most corals except a few types of staghorns. Don't you think more people would be doing themselves a favor by mounting frags horizontally instead of looking like small trees?

This gives the coral way more area getting light and also more area for sprouting tips and in the end faster growth from a frag.

It makes me wonder why customers and the industry in general insist on mountin frags upright.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi there, yeah man i totally agree. i think its just presentation for the most part. But captive frags do tend to grow out from the original stalk far better than wilds in my experience so its not as advantageous to mount them flat. still probably better over all though. I agree with you for sure

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This coral is already named. It's a strawberry fields. Been around for years.

Hi there.

Always a pleasure. I really appreciate the input and I love the post. But I'll have to respectfully disagree with you own this one. This was a wild colony far removed from the original Strawberry Fields, and a different species without a doubt.

Here's the old @SunnyX "strawberry fields" that we all know and love, and went crazy for about 6 years ago. Tagging him for the conformation.

ProCoralsSFLD_zps0cfmgw1x.jpg

And here is my guy again. Please correct me if I'm all wrong here, and I'll gladly call mine the "bouncing's Strawberry Fields" in a heartbeat. Would make my day in fact because
I'm really not into superhero names anyway.

Thanks again for the post.

IMG_8117-Edit_zpscnbdevib.jpg

Last edited:

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it, Adam. If anything, I think it looks similar to Jareds crown jewel. It's an awesome piece for sure.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love it, Adam. If anything, I think it looks similar to Jareds crown jewel. It's an awesome piece for sure.

Hey Thanks a ton man really appreciate it. agree its similar. The crowns, a bit more bubbly if that makes sense. Telling you, it's more like the superman than anything I've seen just different color scheme:)

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pro corals looks like a sarmentosa almost maybe florida, totally different either way.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi Adam,

This is my experience as well with most corals except a few types of staghorns. Don't you think more people would be doing themselves a favor by mounting frags horizontally instead of looking like small trees?

This gives the coral way more area getting light and also more area for sprouting tips and in the end faster growth from a frag.

It makes me wonder why customers and the industry in general insist on mountin frags upright.

Yeah I don't shy away from mounting things horizontally, even on certain frags that I sell. Stuff like the therman's Rainbow, Vivid Rainbow Delight, and "efflo" types ALWAYS encrust like mad in my experience and virtually never grow from the old tips.

On the other hand bottlebrush types do not consistently encrust for me unless it is a certain shape of frag with a base exposed to light, so I usually mount them upright.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi there.

Always a pleasure. I really appreciate the input and I love the post. But I'll have to respectfully disagree with you own this one. This was a wild colony far removed from the original Strawberry Fields, and a different species without a doubt.

Here's the old @SunnyX "strawberry fields" that we all know and love, and went crazy for about 6 years ago. Tagging him for the conformation.

ProCoralsSFLD_zps0cfmgw1x.jpg

And here is my guy again. Please correct me if I'm all wrong here, and I'll gladly call mine the "bouncing's Strawberry Fields" in a heartbeat. Would make my day in fact because
I'm really not into superhero names anyway.

Thanks again for the post.

IMG_8117-Edit_zpscnbdevib.jpg

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Funny thing about that is I remember those Sarmentosa colonies being common way back when Dr. Mac used to sell wild colonies about 16 years ago.

Reefer Maddness would have them posted daily when they were selling coral too.

Someone gave it a name and all of a sudden people went gaga over it.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Funny thing about that is I remember those Sarmentosa colonies being common way back when Dr. Mac used to sell wild colonies about 16 years ago.

Reefer Maddness would have them posted daily when they were selling coral too.

Someone gave it a name and all of a sudden people went gaga over it.

Man I loved Reefer Madness. Totally Zany! And yeah, those sarmentosas were pretty common fare I'd say.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 52.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back