So how critical is it? Sand and it’s blowing

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m just getting my DT up and running and into my third week of the cycle. Everything is normal and as expected. apex installed and working well BUT...
I opted to go with the Fiji pink sand in lieu of larger grains thinking that it would be best for sand sifter gobies and bottom dwellers. Running 2-MP10 on about 50% (one constant one lagoon) and varios4 on 60% and getting good flow. Sand isn’t shifting much which doesn’t bother me if it does a little it’s just the very fine fine particles that are still buzzing around in the water column. Can’t be seen until the lights (3 hrs a day with just 1 blue+ & 1 actinic while cycling) are on and you are right up at the glass. Will this go away? Will the 200 micron socks catch? Will it hurt livestock fish, Corals. Did I totally blow it with sand selection?No pun intended. Thanks for any insight

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT

166F0357-C084-40EA-91D6-055F1B1E1EE0.jpeg

80FD12CA-86E6-4AB9-8C49-84E19DE426B0.jpeg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just added the sand recently, you can run a small pump in the main display hooked to a hose that runs into a filter sock (also in the display) to help turnover the water with the fine sediment over into the sock.

I'd recommend a 100 micron sock.

It should clear up.

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Boy I was worried I’d had to take all the sand out and swap it out for larger grain. Looks nice but what a pain. Never again

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope you should be fine after some tweaking!! Looks good!

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we have identical aquascapes lol......on that note....I love yours :)
And I’m sure I’ll love yours. Hate this part of waiting, cycling, adjusting. It looks so incredibly bare but patience patience. Hope to start some real stocking next year. It’s nice to be back in the hobby again after my hiatus and to find R2R was a blessing. Thanks to all

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I’m sure I’ll love yours. Hate this part of waiting, cycling, adjusting. It looks so incredibly bare but patience patience. Hope to start some real stocking next year. It’s nice to be back in the hobby again after my hiatus and to find R2R was a blessing. Thanks to all
Yeah, the waiting is definitely the hardest part. You just want to go to the LFS an come home with a fully stocked tank :)

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Fiji pink as well. It took a couple weeks for the smaller particles to settle and filter out.
IMHO, it's all a part of the experience.

BlueMoods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see form my avatar over there <---- I used very fine black sand. Just needs a couple of weeks for all of the silt to settle and filter out - I used a back of tank filter with refillable floss cartridges, just changed the floss twice a week to get the sand debris that wanted to circulate out of the tank. Polish, polish polish that water, you'll be fine. :)

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will settle out but let us know that's the sand I was going to put in my new build but maybe not now
It’s been running for a couple weeks now. I’m almost cycled out and time for a water change this weekend. We’ll see if that helps. I would like the option of running my mp10s higher if I need but not if it puts all those specks in the column. Changing socks every day to try and eliminate.
As a side note I know the ocean sands move and such and are in the water but...

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops didn’t see a couple replies and it’s good that it will settle. Thanks and yes all part of the experience.

Back