So hows the Cermedia marinepure testing coming along?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Cyricdark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a few episodes ago in brs investigates you said you were investigating various nitrate removal media including the cermedia marinepure block. I just ordered one of those and one of the brightwell aquatics no3 bricks from you guys today and was wondering how the testing was coming along and when we can expect to see the episode on it?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! I hope siporax is part of that testing! I'd like to see how it measures up to MarinePure

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting to hear the out come of this test. I have 2 marine pure blocks in my sump and don't know if it's the blocks or my bio pellet reactor that's keeping my nitrates at a steady 5ppm.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

This one is still ongoing, as we continue to learn more about nitrates and accurately testing for them. Right now, I believe they are working to improve the testing, given some inconclusive results they have seen thus far. :)

Hopefully we have this one refined and back on track soon! ;)

-Randy

OP
OP
C

Cyricdark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to it, I'm really hoping these bricks will help with denitrification at least half as much as the manufacturers claim. What's your personal opinion on them Randy?

805reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 this would be great to know. I have one block in my sump and will get more if they prove effective.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to it, I'm really hoping these bricks will help with denitrification at least half as much as the manufacturers claim. What's your personal opinion on them Randy?

I'm pretty excited to see what happens with them as well! I'm fairly heavily invested in them providing surface area for my bare bottom 93gal cube, which has quite a bit of Marine Pure in it. Granted, that tank has a very low bioload, I still feel that they are helping. Also, I use them exclusively in the BRS Frag tanks for the only source of porous surface area and nutrients remain fairly low in there. :)

-Randy

OP
OP
C

Cyricdark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty excited to see what happens with them as well! I'm fairly heavily invested in them providing surface area for my bare bottom 93gal cube, which has quite a bit of Marine Pure in it. Granted, that tank has a very low bioload, I still feel that they are helping. Also, I use them exclusively in the BRS Frag tanks for the only source of porous surface area and nutrients remain fairly low in there. :)

-Randy
Have you tried the brightwell aquatics no3 export bricks at all yet?

OP
OP
C

Cyricdark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just got in one Cermedia 4" plate and one brightwell no3 brick, gonna redo my sump and remove the six year old deep sand bed that I inherited when I bought the tank already established and replace it with these, right now I've got them soaking in some water change water along with a healthy dose of vodka and some Biospira, So I guess we'll find out. Been having an ongoing nitrate issue (20-40 ppm) that seems relatively unaffected by lots of massive water changes, reduced feeding, improving refugium light, etc, so hoping these will help. I also upgraded to a much larger skimmer so if it does help I probably won't know for sure the cause, so still looking forward to the BRS investigation , hope you got some results soon.
Hey guys!

This one is still ongoing, as we continue to learn more about nitrates and accurately testing for them. Right now, I believe they are working to improve the testing, given some inconclusive results they have seen thus far. :)

Hopefully we have this one refined and back on track soon! ;)

-Randy
I thought you guys had that figured out by using the red sea reagents in that 4k$ tester?

Hooloovoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been thinking of giving the Brightwell NO3 brick a try before noticed a lot of negative customer reviews on BRS. They all seemed to say the same thing. Namely that the brick just disintegrated within their sump in a very short period of time. I happend by the Brightwell booth while I was at ReefAPallooza, and asked them if they felt this was due to something wrong in the way the product was being used. They said no, it was actually a problem they had in manufacturing with a bad batch of product that did not have enough of the binder component added to it. He added that they are offering to send replacements out to anyone who received one of the affected products. Just thought I would pass that along.

MatsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been thinking of giving the Brightwell NO3 brick a try before noticed a lot of negative customer reviews on BRS. They all seemed to say the same thing. Namely that the brick just disintegrated within their sump in a very short period of time. I happend by the Brightwell booth while I was at ReefAPallooza, and asked them if they felt this was due to something wrong in the way the product was being used. They said no, it was actually a problem they had in manufacturing with a bad batch of product that did not have enough of the binder component added to it. He added that they are offering to send replacements out to anyone who received one of the affected products. Just thought I would pass that along.

This is good to read. I've been thinking about giving one of those a try! Thanks for that info.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back