So I dropped some bones on something I don’t need but have really wanted!

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Then why waste your money? Seriously that's not a good investment. Mastertronic would have been more worth your time. At least reagent is based 'off the rack', so to speak.
I found and bought some disks. And actually I own like 2 Salifert test kits now. So would have to buy all the reagents/other tests and the unit.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found and bought some disks. And actually I own like 2 Salifert test kits now. So would have to buy all the reagents/other tests and the Unity.
Whatever you gotta do to make yourself feel good about this one, but full stop that's a bad purchase. I'd frankly try to cancel it all but hey it's your cash and waste it utterly if you want.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not the only one! Why do you think I sold mine haha.
They work good enough for me, I have a system when testing but it's still not fun (Testing is the least fun part of reefing for me!) ... I hope you enjoy your new tester and once you get a system going and practice with it , it will be like any other tester, good for some bad for others but does it work for you thats all that matters. :)

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not the only one! Why do you think I sold mine haha.
Really? They are so simple. Water in the cuvette to the line, powder in, shake for 2 mins, into the egg, press to start timers. Go off and do Alk and Ca tests while u wait.
And spilling? Fold the square packet in half diagonally, cut along dotted line, open so it forms funnel and pour in. Easy, peasy.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really? They are so simple. Water in the cuvette to the line, powder in, shake for 2 mins, into the egg, press to start timers. Go off and do Alk and Ca tests while u wait.
And spilling? Fold the square packet in half diagonally, cut along dotted line, open so it forms funnel and pour in. Easy, peasy.
I’ve tried so many times lol also I frequently got errors for the phosphate. As for Salifert that takes too long lol.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried so many times lol also I frequently got errors for the phosphate. As for Salifert that takes too long lol.
Just a lot of money for a test kit that isn’t going to have reagents down the line and may not be that accurate. But, hey, it’s your money. Go nuts.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But you still have to use the phosphate if you want a real test answer :)

The aqua spin phosphate is also an error every time because having a range read either 0 or 0.1 is an error in how they made it lol

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alkalinity has an error range of 15%. So that's a whole dkh point at 7 (granted Trident is no better). If you paid by credit card maybe you could get it reversed as this is a discontinued product and could be unusable in the near future?

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The alkalinity has an error range of 15%. So that's a whole dkh point at 7 (granted Trident is no better). If you paid by credit card maybe you could get it reversed as this is a discontinued product and could be unusable in the near future?
I’m not returning it assuming the unit itself isn’t broken and the disks aren’t expired. I’m looking forward to the product actually. Again it’s ease of use for me and time.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People spend big bucks in this hobby all the time on things they don't need. I am in the camp that she didn't need it, and I said so. A lot of us have just as much money tied up in EchoTech products or Apex in which there are much better and cheaper products out there ( so they say) but we still buy them.
Besides, I think she is going to give me her Trident because she doesn’t need it anymore....

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
People spend big bucks in this hobby all the time on things they don't need. I am in the camp that she didn't need it, and I said so. A lot of us have just as much money tied up in EchoTech products or Apex in which there are much better and cheaper products out there ( so they say) but we still buy them.
Besides, I think she is going to give me her Trident because she doesn’t need it anymore....
Exactly lol! This hobby isn’t cheap we all know this. I like my fancy tech and automation which I don’t need lol but I’m perfectly happy with not spending thousands on coral or lighting. I actually don’t have a Trident I bought this instead and yes while it’s the cost of two Tridents it tests 8 parameters haha. We all pick and choose what we spend money on in the hobby. Some of you drop thousands on corals and fish which I would never do lol.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d like to mention here and this sucks but part of the reason they are so expensive and limited is because there’s only one or two companies that make it and they do it the best or the worst lol. I think of Neptune and Hydros the only two aquarium controllers and honestly Hydros doesn’t even compare to Neptune in terms of features and accessories…Neptune is essentially the only completely automated system for our tanks and sadly that means we have a limited and expensive option. Now I’d really like to reach the day in a few years where we are relying completely on AI and automation for our tanks and it’s affordable. Maybe one day…advances happen everyday so I hope the reefing industry despite being much slower advances with the rest of the world’s technology. But that’s wishful thinking lol. And considering inflation and the economy I don’t see this hobby ever getting any cheaper.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On an unrelated note it’s 4 am where I am! I’ve been doing work for my math class which I absolutely hate and procrastinated on. So who is good at college-level statistics lol?

Xenia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or just cut open all the baggs, trow it inside a empty salifert powder container and use the scoop aswell :flushed-face:

Nobody thought of that ?

( yes the container fits inside the hanna kit )

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back