So I dropped some bones on something I don’t need but have really wanted!

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just had my order cancelled for being on backorder and learned it was on backorder everywhere not discontinued. Needless to say I’m not happy with the seller for not stating it until after I ordered it especially since I emailed them before I bought it. So I ordered it from a different one who won’t charge me until it ships.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this review btw:

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Found this review btw:

Yes I’ve seen that thanks!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this review btw:

Seems like a no-brainer that this is a huge waste of $ and probably won't benefit anyone's tank without running quite a few other tests to fill in the gaps and check for accuracy...

Last edited:

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to mention here and this sucks but part of the reason they are so expensive and limited is because there’s only one or two companies that make it and they do it the best or the worst lol. I think of Neptune and Hydros the only two aquarium controllers and honestly Hydros doesn’t even compare to Neptune in terms of features and accessories…Neptune is essentially the only completely automated system for our tanks and sadly that means we have a limited and expensive option. Now I’d really like to reach the day in a few years where we are relying completely on AI and automation for our tanks and it’s affordable. Maybe one day…advances happen everyday so I hope the reefing industry despite being much slower advances with the rest of the world’s technology. But that’s wishful thinking lol. And considering inflation and the economy I don’t see this hobby ever getting any cheaper.
You should read more Hydros, I sold the Neptune system and love the Hydros, but to each their own. What I wanted to monitor, it works fine, no complaints here.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to mention here and this sucks but part of the reason they are so expensive and limited is because there’s only one or two companies that make it and they do it the best or the worst lol. I think of Neptune and Hydros the only two aquarium controllers and honestly Hydros doesn’t even compare to Neptune in terms of features and accessories…Neptune is essentially the only completely automated system for our tanks and sadly that means we have a limited and expensive option. Now I’d really like to reach the day in a few years where we are relying completely on AI and automation for our tanks and it’s affordable. Maybe one day…advances happen everyday so I hope the reefing industry despite being much slower advances with the rest of the world’s technology. But that’s wishful thinking lol. And considering inflation and the economy I don’t see this hobby ever getting any cheaper.
You don't seriously think Hydros and Apex are the "only two aquarium controllers", do you???

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny how many people want to comment on how you spend your money.

We comment because this is a helpful community and wanted to point out that the PO4 measurement, and alkalinity, by this device are not useful in reef aquariums. At least imo. $1500 is a lot for this inaccuracy. Now, knowing that, if Ayden wants to purchase the device that is perfectly fine. Part of the hobby is fun tech.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't seriously think Hydros and Apex are the "only two aquarium controllers", do you???
No, I do not. With that said, I’ve spent a lot of money on things that were not needed to run a nice reef.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am aware there’s more than two and Hanna just came out with one. But in terms of features, add-ons, and popularity the big two are Hydros and Neptune. Kind of like Apple and Samsung lol!

Last edited:
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm happy for you, Ayden and I hope it works out for you. I looked around for something like this over the summer.

Thanks! And our lfs has an AquaSpin that’s why I wanted one as I would go and get my water tested almost weekly by them. I just really like the ease of use and digital readout of all the parameters.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just had my order cancelled for being on backorder and learned it was on backorder everywhere not discontinued. Needless to say I’m not happy with the seller for not stating it until after I ordered it especially since I emailed them before I bought it. So I ordered it from a different one who won’t charge me until it ships.
It did you a favor. Go try something that's NOT unobtainium.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy for you, Ayden and I hope it works out for you. I looked around for something like this over the summer.

We comment to frankly save her the more than likely chance of failure of a product. Nothing says loving like being stuck with something you can't use and just bought, especially in a fickle industry such as aquaria where the moment you bought it, it ain't worth more than half price @ retail on a good day.

Wouldn't you like to be nudged away from a knowing 1500$ turd, I sure as hell would.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware there’s more than two and Hanna just came out with one. But in terms of features, add-ons, and popularity the big two are Hydros and Neptune. Kind of like Apple and Samsung lol!
Hanna doesn't have a controller... And there are many more than just Hydros and Apex.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think LFS use aqua spin because they get x number of people coming in asking for a test and it’s easier to teach to employees especially if you have to train new ones too often… plus saves time….and they don’t care if it’s not accurate… as long as they have some numbers to show you, that is good enough. They don’t have to be the right numbers :)

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We comment to frankly save her the more than likely chance of failure of a product. Nothing says loving like being stuck with something you can't use and just bought, especially in a fickle industry such as aquaria where the moment you bought it, it ain't worth more than half price @ retail on a good day.

Wouldn't you like to be nudged away from a knowing 1500$ turd, I sure as hell would.
Mulling over the pros and cons of a piece of hardware is one thing.

"What a total waste of money!" is something different.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"What a total waste of money!" is something different.
It is a waste of money if the “reagents” are discontinued.

I had a great idea if accuracy isn’t critical, and she doesn’t have high-end corals either: why can’t she use API test kits? They are easy, fast, and cheap.

The Spin master is inaccurate and expensive. The only thing you are paying for is the speed.

No?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back