So i have this friend thats moving wayyyy to fast

Mgex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have this friend thats moving way to fast and he has a 15 flex but its already got a condy 2 rbtas large colonies of zoas a horse shoe crab a flame scallop and a bunch more experter items this tank is like 2 or 3 months old max and hes already loading it down to beyond its max what should i do i dont want to be rude and be like hey man your not ready for this hes a newbie as well

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, tough situation. I think it depends on several things...how close are you? How well you know him and what is his reaction to correction? Is he in this position because of newbie enthusiasm or is it partially because of a little bit of arrogance?

Regardless I would have to gently let him know that his chances of success with the horse shoe crab and the flame scallop are almost nil. I would let him know that the zoas are good but that his tank isn't ready for an anemone at this time. Be kind and non judgmental and you will have done all you can do.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provide sound advice based on facts. Do it in a manner that is supportive. Your friend will choose to take it or not. If and when the tank crashes, they will be more inclined to listen to your advice. Or.... maybe they wont. The unfortunate thing is that animals lives will end as a result of the arragonce or ignorance.... I dont like the "learn the hard way" way... its wasteful...

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah ive already told him all this i dont really know what to do he always comes to me to ask about stuff after he buys it like he bought a frogfish without knowing anything about it hes doing all this to get the attention of the marine science teacher at our school because he wants to intern with her and im just waiting for the day he tells me his tank crashed
Maybe try to get him to unload some of it or trade it in on something that will work for his tank. Get him interested in something to keep him busy for a while while he learns the hobby.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He needs to have a livestock sale and realize that this isn’t freshwater and too fast even for freshwater.
UNFORTUNATELY, he is destined for a serious system crash which will provide a huge wake up call especially monitarily .
We’re here to help but seems he’s passed the point of advice but will soon be asking us

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try to
I'd Def try to because the scallop will 100 percent die, the horseshoe crab will last a few months, the zoas and nems might be ok, the frog fish needs specialized care. None of this will impress an astute science teacher/marine biologist at all.

yallnotfwme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd Def try to because the scallop will 100 percent die, the horseshoe crab will last a few months, the zoas and nems might be ok, the frog fish needs specialized care. None of this will impress an astute science teacher/marine biologist at all.

he has no fish in the tank, how would his tank crash??

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he has no fish in the tank, how would his tank crash??
I never said it would, only pointed out that some of his life stock is destined to die. I suppose if a death goes unnoticed it can potentially crash the tank specially with how small the tank is. Maybe you quoted the wrong comment?

yallnotfwme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said it would, only pointed out that some of his life stock is destined to die. I suppose if a death goes unnoticed it can potentially crash the tank specially with how small the tank is. Maybe you quoted the wrong comment?
I have a buddy and he keeps coral with tap water. Is that ok?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he can, absolutely. Let me know how he does it so I can stop buying salt.

It just dawned on me that you might not have asked that sarcastically, if not my apologies its been a long day.

It isn't a good idea, some people can get away with it as their source water is very pure to begin with (very rare) f. Some beginner corals might tolerate it giving it is declorinated and detoxified of heavy metals. Once you start getting into invertebrates and more delicate corals like lps and sps that tap water is going to rear its ugly head. Many threads on here about folks losing corals with perfect parameters that after an icp test found that their tank had elevated amounts of heavy metals like tin, copper and aluminum, the same metals that make up your plumbing and plumbing fixtures.

Last edited:

Trylobyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Everything I have read, mainly because I asked this question to leads to a hard no. Tap water treated can be used for a FOWLR tank, but there are things inside of tap water that cannot be treated. Adding extra silica, nitrates, and even some cities add in disinfectants all of which can be extremely harmful to the corals. In the scenario where the town isn't adding in some hidden stuff like the disinfectants, he still will probably battle all kinds of algae, cyano, etc. Again this is just what I have been told, and read throughout the forums here, and others as well including BRStv and the like.

EDIT: Also, if he continues to use tap water let him know to at the very least get RO/DI, distilled or something for his top off's. When the water evaporates, it leaves behind that added crap (nitrates, silicas, etc) and he is basically concentrating by adding more on top of whats in there to begin with.

Yallnotfwme223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I would like to introduce myself I am the friend that was moving wayyyy to fast. I would like to say I really appreciate all of you guys advice. My buddy mgex was right in his assumption that I was moving too fast. I had a tank crash about 4 weeks ago. It was very sad I lost both of my clowns and my scallop. I am new to the hobby and did not head my freinds advice. I am also hear to say that I have removed a large portion of my rock and reduced my scape down very much. I have given away my rbta and my other bt to one of my good friends. I also returned my hsc back to my lfs so they can find a good proper home for it. My tank has been running smoothly for about 3 weeks now and I have introduced a pair of clowns. My zoas have all opened back up and I have decided to start a zoa garden I just recently purchased some sunny D zoas from Wwc and in very excited for them to come in. Thank you all very much for your support and advice.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I would like to introduce myself I am the friend that was moving wayyyy to fast. I would like to say I really appreciate all of you guys advice. My buddy mgex was right in his assumption that I was moving too fast. I had a tank crash about 4 weeks ago. It was very sad I lost both of my clowns and my scallop. I am new to the hobby and did not head my freinds advice. I am also hear to say that I have removed a large portion of my rock and reduced my scape down very much. I have given away my rbta and my other bt to one of my good friends. I also returned my hsc back to my lfs so they can find a good proper home for it. My tank has been running smoothly for about 3 weeks now and I have introduced a pair of clowns. My zoas have all opened back up and I have decided to start a zoa garden I just recently purchased some sunny D zoas from Wwc and in very excited for them to come in. Thank you all very much for your support and advice.
HEY there! Glad you joined us here. Sorry to hear about your troubles but I'm glad you're on the right path. You'll find alot of great help here.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome! We all make mistakes, and being open to how we can improve is one of the most important items for success in the hobby - so you are on the right track! Happy to hear the tank is progressing well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back