So I heard snapping sounds today....

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I got a small Rhodactis mushroom Coral attached to a live rock from liveaquaria. It had a few hitchhikers—some amphipods, a tiny brittle star, and some nuiscance algae, which my crabs quickly tackled. Then, after about half an hour in the tank, I heard a snap come from that location of the tank. Then I heard it again. It sounded very much like either a mantis or pistol shrimp attacking, based on videos I’ve seen. I haven’t heard it much since, but am going to be alert during the next few nights for any sounds or activity. What are the chances, in such a tiny rock, there could be a juvenile pistol or mantis shrimp?
Thank you! Happy new year!!

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I got a small Rhodactis mushroom Coral attached to a live rock from liveaquaria. It had a few hitchhikers—some amphipods, a tiny brittle star, and some nuiscance algae, which my crabs quickly tackled. Then, after about half an hour in the tank, I heard a snap come from that location of the tank. Then I heard it again. It sounded very much like either a mantis or pistol shrimp attacking, based on videos I’ve seen. I haven’t heard it much since, but am going to be alert during the next few nights for any sounds or activity. What are the chances, in such a tiny rock, there could be a juvenile pistol or mantis shrimp?
Thank you! Happy new year!!
Definitely possible. If you want to catch it, you can try doing a bottle trap with some food in it. Just cut off the top half of a water bottle and invert it, making a funnel that leads into a chamber

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I’ll look into that. I didn’t hear any more snapping last night, but am keeping my eyes peeled. I did, however, find a giant brittle star last night (not the one I purchased) and will try to photograph that when I get a clear view of it. It’s amazing how many critters I can find in such a tiny rock!

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably a pistol shrimp. Same situation, got a small piece of live rock, though it took a couple months before it started snapping. Finally found it, but am definitely keeping it.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw it! It was definitely a pistol shrimp, about the size of a fingernail. So obviously no real harm, but now I’m worried that my tiger pistol would kill the tiny one. Can this happen? Can I get a goby for each one?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two pairs on opposite sides of the tank from each other. Didn't seem like they were even aware of each other's existence. Cool that you've got a tiny little one though!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the snapping sounds may be a pistol shrimp. I’m gonna try to find it. It’s be great if it is, because I was going to get a shrimp goby anyway.

It is probably a pistol but it could be a mantis. I had a small mantis in one of my reefs forever and it did little damage other than some snails. If it were large I would defiantly remove it.

If it is a pistol it is most likely not one that pairs with a goby especially if it is living in a rock. Most of the ones that pair live in the sand. It still could be one that does but I have had tons of pistols that came in on live rock that never paired.

Back