So I tink I did bad ting

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to all who greeted and welcomed me. I'm still not sure if I'm doing this right, but here goes nothing. I bought an acrylic tank a year ago 55 gallon bow front seaclear brand new. It was a really good deal and since I already had a 25 gallon and have success I wanted to go bigger. My problem is the holes in the sea clear are ridiculously too small. Meaning at the top of the tank. So I took a Dremel tool with an acrylic cutting bit and cut parts of it out that I didn't think it would matter. It's starting to bow in the back now a little I'm trying to attach acrylic bars going from front to back to support it better I'm hoping this will work my fish seem to be happy they came out of a 25-gallon now they're in a 55 and they like it very much. Do you think I'm going to have a catastrophe LOL?

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ask yourself if its worth risking catastrophic failure? 50+ gallons of water on your floor. :eek:

If you're going to DIY a new brace I'd really recommend draining it and doing it correct for your own peace of mind.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ask yourself if its worth risking catastrophic failure? 50+ gallons of water on your floor. :eek:

If you're going to DIY a new brace I'd really recommend draining it and doing it correct for your own peace of mind.

I agree. Can you share pictures? How much is it bowing?

OP
OP
Suesea

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree. Can you share pictures? How much is it bowing?
Yes I will try I haven't figured that out yet how to post pictures that is just figured out how to post at all but I will try thank you.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1566321077107.png

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was the lid flush with the edge before? If so, how large is that gap?

OP
OP
Suesea

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures are hoping the right order front, front, back where it's starting to bow

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To be perfectly honest -- I have limited experience with acrylic tanks so don't let me doom and gloom you to death here. But 1/2" bowing on a tank that size after removing the bracing is a definite yikes to me. If it were my home -- I wouldn't trust it.

OP
OP
Suesea

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty handy even though I have MS. So my idea is I have already cut 2 inch wide pieces to go across sides and the same for the back and I was going to use two clamps at the same pressure to bring the bow back after pumping out half of the water because I have a lot of rock work and my fish, and coral are in there but I still have it set up in there yet. I'm hoping this will work.

OP
OP
Suesea

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty handy even though I have MS. So my idea is I have already cut 2 inch wide pieces to go across sides and the same for the back and I was going to use two clamps at the same pressure to bring the bow back after pumping out half of the water because I have a lot of rock work and my fish, and coral are in there but I still have it set up in there yet. I'm hoping this will work.
Oh and also the most important part is I have a plastic welder I'm going to try to use. I know it was dumb to do but I just have problems using my hands in such a manner with such small holes

OP
OP
Suesea

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and also the most important part is I have a plastic welder I'm going to try to use. I know it was dumb to do but I just have problems using my hands in such a manner with such small holes
Thanks to everyone I will keep you posted and take pics and hope it's not a flood that I'm taking pics of

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it worth all the water on your floor?

OP
OP
Suesea

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank, boyfriends floor. But so far so good. I'm going to wait a few days before I refill it but the fish and my corals are still in there and being filtered. And the clamps are working I'm just hoping the bond will hold.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need a plastic welder just get a tube of weldon 16 and a piece of 1/4" acrylic and cut the acrylic into strips the size you can use and the weldon will "weld" the acrylic without l
Melting it like a plastic welder will do.

OP
OP
Suesea

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks to be him I suppose
Actually he's the one who cut the wrong piece off of my tank to make it bow I'm fixing his mess up. I have an update I will be putting up pictures soon. But he said thanks anyway.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back