So i wanna re aquascape my 3 month old tank but....

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to re aquascape my 75 gallon since i hate how it looks now. My question is if its ok to take the rocks out to work with since i bought the e marco 400 cement to do some arches. I fear that maybe some of the bacteria in my rocks can die in the time that it will take me to do it ( maybe 30 mins tops). I plan on putting my current corals in a frag rack on the tank in the meantime. This is how it currently looks. Im open to any ideas.
20191126_181222.jpg

Jynxgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua scaping is a very personal thing. I like to have rocks in a few places, and a few very low piles. I also am not a fan of chopping up corals constantly though. Nor having 10 different sps in a ten inch area in a tank. Much rather have six to eight SPS corals that grow larger than a softball in a six foot tank, plus a sprinkling of lps and softies throughout. But mixing is always the trick and isn't the easiest. More than this, you have to cut the corals quite often and the tank will always look cluttered and a bit artificial. Others though like to have corals growing into each other and keep them more baseball size. Think about the tanks you like, and want to immulate... and look at their rock work.

Your rock will be fine for 30 minutes out of the water. Bacteria and pods are quite resilient.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock get shipped across the country with nothing more than some damp newspaper on them. Your bacteria will be fine :).

Got any ideas yet for the new scape?
Yea i took a picture of my friends tank which looks amazing and wanted to copy it a bit, something with alot of open spaces for fishes to swim but also so tuat it has space for a good amount of frags.
20191014_182906.jpg

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua scaping is a very personal thing. I like to have rocks in a few places, and a few very low piles. I also am not a fan of chopping up corals constantly though. Nor having 10 different sps in a ten inch area in a tank. Much rather have six to eight SPS corals that grow larger than a softball in a six foot tank, plus a sprinkling of lps and softies throughout. But mixing is always the trick and isn't the easiest. More than this, you have to cut the corals quite often and the tank will always look cluttered and a bit artificial. Others though like to have corals growing into each other and keep them more baseball size. Think about the tanks you like, and want to immulate... and look at their rock work.

Your rock will be fine for 30 minutes out of the water. Bacteria and pods are quite resilient.
I like your idea do you have any pictures of your tank? Just want some ideas.

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your friend did his scaping himself, ask them to help. I can't scape for the life of me. I found someone who had a scape that I liked and asked them to help.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your friend did his scaping himself, ask them to help. I can't scape for the life of me. I found someone who had a scape that I liked and asked them to help.
Sadly he lives in florida im all the way in nyc lol he did tell me to get a couple more pieces of cured live rock that is flat so i can do the arches.

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i took a picture of my friends tank which looks amazing and wanted to copy it a bit, something with alot of open spaces for fishes to swim but also so tuat it has space for a good amount of frags.
20191014_182906.jpg

That’s an awesome scape! Be sure to post your iterations here and we’ll be able to give you some good feedback asthetically as well as practically.

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your aquascape is really nice, but I know that if you are not satisfied, its a no no, I've been there...
Thing is, your friend's aquascape is not easy to get unless you use epoxy, glue, or even acrylic rods. And those things are very hard to work with wet rock.
So.... as your tank is cycled and has some inhabitants, one possibility is to get new dry rock, built your structures dry and then introduce them to your display as pile your existing rock in one side of tank. After some weeks your new rock will be ready to sustain your biological filtration and you can get out the pieces of rock you don't want in there any more.
And the good new is you will have some rock for your next tank ;)

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your aquascape is really nice, but I know that if you are not satisfied, its a no no, I've been there...
Thing is, your friend's aquascape is not easy to get unless you use epoxy, glue, or even acrylic rods. And those things are very hard to work with wet rock.
So.... as your tank is cycled and has some inhabitants, one possibility is to get new dry rock, built your structures dry and then introduce them to your display as pile your existing rock in one side of tank. After some weeks your new rock will be ready to sustain your biological filtration and you can get out the pieces of rock you don't want in there any more.
And the good new is you will have some rock for your next tank ;)
That is a great idea!! Time to buy new rock now ill buy enough for one side first and maybe i can attach some of the current live rock to the dry. Im using e marco 400 so that might hold it even if its a bit wet.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on the “with caution” end of things. I redid mine at 2-3 month mark with a cute little bicolor blenny in there. Big mistake. There was so much fine junk flying around that I believe he was suffocated :(

Back