So ICH management it is, I guess

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping this short, sweet, and to the point. "IF" you have ich. You can either remove all fish and treat the fish with copper and with the copper that works best for the type of fish you have and starve out the ich within the tank or do what is called "living with ich."
Ich has a 4 stage life cycle. Medic from PolypLab claims that it can kill ich in the 2nd and 4th stage of their free floating stages of their life cycle. I have used it twice in my days of "living with ich." It is a 20 day process that you dose 2x a day. If you have the time and you have to be 100% dedicated to nailing the time to do this for 20 days straight with no excuses to miss a treatment. Try it. This is the closest and ONLY thing that will give your tank a fighting chance aside having to pull your fish out. Everything else is a 100% myth. Garlic and foods do not do squat as far eradicating the parasite. People say this, but all they have done is tried to build up the slime coat to make it harder for the parasite to attach itself while your fish are sleeping, fact.
Now you may not even have ich. It maybe fluke. To kill fluke dose Prazipro 2x only within 14 days.
Prazipro worked when I had fluke. Medic did what it said it would do for me. It is reef safe. I just keep my little guys well fed. Don't stress them out and "live with ich."
Garlic is not in the ocean. It has no facts of it aiding towards ich. Ich is always present in the ocean. No one says "lets pull all the fish from the ocean and starve out all the ich." So this means learn to live with it like the ocean does.
ANY additions to a tank whether it be a coral, invert, fish, live rock, macro algae, or used equipment can carry ich.

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could, but can you get live very big clams?
I will have to look. Everything I see at the grocery store are frozen clams. Live clam would be better. I think I should just make my own food.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping this short, sweet, and to the point. "IF" you have ich. You can either remove all fish and treat the fish with copper and with the copper that works best for the type of fish you have and starve out the ich within the tank or do what is called "living with ich."
Ich has a 4 stage life cycle. Medic from PolypLab claims that it can kill ich in the 2nd and 4th stage of their free floating stages of their life cycle. I have used it twice in my days of "living with ich." It is a 20 day process that you dose 2x a day. If you have the time and you have to be 100% dedicated to nailing the time to do this for 20 days straight with no excuses to miss a treatment. Try it. This is the closest and ONLY thing that will give your tank a fighting chance aside having to pull your fish out. Everything else is a 100% myth. Garlic and foods do not do squat as far eradicating the parasite. People say this, but all they have done is tried to build up the slime coat to make it harder for the parasite to attach itself while your fish are sleeping, fact.
Now you may not even have ich. It maybe fluke. To kill fluke dose Prazipro 2x only within 14 days.
Prazipro worked when I had fluke. Medic did what it said it would do for me. It is reef safe. I just keep my little guys well fed. Don't stress them out and "live with ich."
Garlic is not in the ocean. It has no facts of it aiding towards ich. Ich is always present in the ocean. No one says "lets pull all the fish from the ocean and starve out all the ich." So this means learn to live with it like the ocean does.
ANY additions to a tank whether it be a coral, invert, fish, live rock, macro algae, or used equipment can carry ich.
You liked the polyp lab?
How did that go? Flashing rubbing etc , and those symptoms subsided or what?
And impact to micro fauna you noticed?

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone else was talking about Medic from PolypLab. Currently, since I started feeding only frozen food soaked in Selcon I have seen a huge improvement. I haven't quite set down and watched for hours, but from the little I've observed, I am not seeing the erratic behavior that I've noticed before. IMHO, if we could get our fishes to build their natural immunity by feeding regular food instead of relying on meds, I think that would be much better. I don't think I'm out of the woods yet, but I think feeding mysis was probably the right decision. Do I have nutrient in the water? Absolutely, I don't doubt for a second I have some high PO4 level. And even NO3. Just for giggles I checked NO3 couple of nights ago and it was 5ppm. I am aggressively skimming, I am thinking about spot treating GHA with H2O2 while I continue to feed the fish heavy. Hopefully I will win both battles. that's a BIG hopefully, I know. :eek::(;Meh

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone else was talking about Medic from PolypLab. Currently, since I started feeding only frozen food soaked in Selcon I have seen a huge improvement. I haven't quite set down and watched for hours, but from the little I've observed, I am not seeing the erratic behavior that I've noticed before. IMHO, if we could get our fishes to build their natural immunity by feeding regular food instead of relying on meds, I think that would be much better. I don't think I'm out of the woods yet, but I think feeding mysis was probably the right decision. Do I have nutrient in the water? Absolutely, I don't doubt for a second I have some high PO4 level. And even NO3. Just for giggles I checked NO3 couple of nights ago and it was 5ppm. I am aggressively skimming, I am thinking about spot treating GHA with H2O2 while I continue to feed the fish heavy. Hopefully I will win both battles. that's a BIG hopefully, I know. :eek::(;Meh
Selcon is high in omega 3... DHA in omega 3 is a potent antiparasitic... it's the fishes natural defence but we largely remove it from their diet which is madness. I'm not surprised you've seen an improvement after using selcon. There is a cheaper option... soak food in omega 3. Simple!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t spot treat with peroxide. I’ve seen it go bad too often.
It’s not actually effective either. If it is effective by report , it’s becuse of the way an oxidizer works in a body of water.

A fwiw , the polyp lab product is an oxidizer like peroxide. Does almost the exact same thing.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You liked the polyp lab?
How did that go? Flashing rubbing etc , and those symptoms subsided or what?
And impact to micro fauna you noticed?
I harvest 5k-10k Tigger Pods every week. That part doesn't matter:D
Yes the Medic worked. The flame angel was covered with ich when I had my 40B. Then that tank cracked. Then it happened again in the 65g due to all the stress. Flame angel got ich again. Did the Medic again. It worked again. Then I bought 2 corals. The tank got hit with velvet and brooklynella at the same time. Lost my spotted mandarin, clown, tail spot blenny, and swissguard basslet. That was one heartbreaker of a week. The flame angel, grammica lined Dartfish, and yellow & purple wrasse lived. I have not seen ich in 5 months. I am living with ich. I am sure one false move. It will be there to rare it's ugly head again.
Medic is a crystalized peroxide salt.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I harvest 5k-10k Tigger Pods every week. That part doesn't matter:D
Yes the Medic worked. The flame angel was covered with ich when I had my 40B. Then that tank cracked. Then it happened again in the 65g due to all the stress. Flame angel got ich again. Did the Medic again. It worked again. Then I bought 2 corals. The tank got hit with velvet and brooklynella at the same time. Lost my spotted mandarin, clown, tail spot blenny, and swissguard basslet. That was one heartbreaker of a week. The flame angel, grammica lined Dartfish, and yellow & purple wrasse lived. I have not seen ich in 5 months. I am living with ich. I am sure one false move. It will be there to rare it's ugly head again.
Medic is a crystalized peroxide salt.

Trying to make note if it may be an immediate relief tool, and what the side effects are. Esp with delicate inverts. Tube worms , dusters , pods etc.
I had a very nice talk with polyp lab. Yes.

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t spot treat with peroxide. I’ve seen it go bad too often.
It’s not actually effective either. If it is effective by report , it’s becuse of the way an oxidizer works in a body of water.

A fwiw , the polyp lab product is an oxidizer like peroxide. Does almost the exact same thing.
The medic is an oxidizer? Did not know that. Huh! learn something new everyday.

So instead of spot treating, you think I should just broadcast dose the H2O2 to battle GHA? The way I am feeding, I am little worried that my nutrient is going to go sky rocketing.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to make note if it may be an immediate relief tool, and what the side effects are. Esp with delicate inverts. Tube worms , dusters , pods etc.
I had a very nice talk with polyp lab. Yes.
Like I said in the video. You figure the clam and inverts would be the ones to be affected. I literally had no die off. My tube worm had been through 2 doses. Never died. Just this past week it did and I am actually about to do a water change and remove the tube. Had it for 2 years almost.

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp lab (and h202 for that matter) both 'work' against ich in a similar way. They are both potent oxidisers (both peroxide) and kill the free swimming stages. We know these are released early morning and early evening, so treating at those times is most effective.

Problem is that they don't eradicate ich. They will reduce numbers of parasites enough to give your fish enough time to recover their immune systems so it appears ich has gone.

I've done a fair bit of work with medic and to be fair, nowhere do PL actually claim medic is a cure for ich or will eradicate it. I can't remember the exact phrase they use but it's along the lines of 'water conditioner which helps control marine parasites'...

It's not a cure, don't expect it to be!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could find a way to increase the parasites I have. Maybe parasite vitamins or "anti copper".
They make my fish strong like bull. :p
Buy a Hippo tang. Probably the best for getting ich. Worst slime coat of all time from what I gathered from info out there. My LFS won't even let a tang in his store. Smart man.

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a Hippo tang. Probably the best for getting ich. Worst slime coat of all time from what I gathered from info out there. My LFS won't even let a tang in his store. Smart man.
Currently at 6 tangs... 2 acanthurus and a hippo... ich and velvet both in my tank... 'managed' by giving fish the ability to develop immunity / resistance. Disease is not an issue...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been keeping those since the 70s. My favorite tang and I don't like tangs.
My fish laugh at ich, they are laughing now and it keeps me awake. :cool:

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not saying you can't have success with them, but you know what came along with the price of having one and it looks like all 3 of you got it. So see, add 3 more people to that factor of having a great chance of ich. Whether it is managed or not. Ya got it.

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has their own way of managing/treating/dealing with fish disease. Call me naive but my humble opinion is, if we give our fishes the chance to develop a stronger immune system by means of food, they have a better chance of fighting and surviving these diseases. Just my 0.02 cents.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.7%
Back