So I've got this FREE greenhouse.......anyone with experience?

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by my grandparents I could have their old 10'x12' greenhouse. It's the polycarbonate sheeting type. The only issue is they said the side panels would not stay on due to wind. No big deal, at least I don't think. I'll figure something out to solve that. It's free after all. :p

With the help of a buddy I was throwing around the idea of doing a softie greenhouse. Just use some of the horse feeding troughs as the tanks, air lift tubes for water movement, and DIY skimmers. Cooling won't be an issue as the greenhouse has a removable panel to fit an exhaust fan, which I have one that fits with a little cutting. Heating in the winter will be my only issue but my buddy thinks he has a space heater that will work for what we need.

Haven't completely figured everything out yet but hey, it should be fun right?
:hammer:

Anyone here have any experience with greenhouse coral propagation? I've read Calfo's book, numerous topics, and have been to a major one (Tropicorium in Michigan). So I know it can be done in my area but just wanted to see if anyone here has done so. Might need to pick some brains.

reef-lover

Reef Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Florida, the only thing they propagate in a greenhouse is "devil's lettuce". :hammer: A Coral greenhouse sounds sweet!!! I hope you document the experience with pics...

OP
OP
B

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Florida, the only thing they propagate in a greenhouse is "devil's lettuce". :hammer: A Coral greenhouse sounds sweet!!! I hope you document the experience with pics...

Haha yeah. I forgot to mention, this will be in Toledo, OH.

I've followed Steven's greenhouse topic very closely and have spoken to him about it. Really great guy and if anyone gets a chance to hear him speak, please go!

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow I think the actual Green house is the LEAST of your expenses... I hope it works out well for you though!

Palancar

Aussie Acan Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow I think the actual Green house is the LEAST of your expenses... I hope it works out well for you though!

We totally agree, we have had our greenhouse going since the early 90’s and it has been a learning experience every time we turn around. We set up a fiberglass vat in it to grow out soft corals in and it kind of went from there. We ended up moving all our tanks to it and right now the system is at 410 gallons and will be adding another 100 gals in the next few weeks. You will get to a point where every modification you make the questions will be, will it save money in operating cost or make equipment last longer. Here in southwest Louisiana heat is our major concern and hurricanes. If you have any questions just post them and we will try to help by passing on what we have learned over the years.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back