So many questions after watching "How to Setup a Biocube" video on YouTube

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching the video "How to Setup A Biocube", I have a few questions...

1. I hear some say nothing should go in the tank for 3-4 weeks and others say 6 weeks. What is the better time-frame?
2. They're putting things (not fish) in the tank on day 1. Thoughts on if this is okay?
3. Is there a favorite sand or other (crushed coral, etc...) that people use? One that seems to be the most favored among saltwater tank owners.
4. They used an aqua clear foam in one of the chambers vs a protein skimmer. Which is better to use?

Thanks for any questions answered in advanced!

coral.PNG

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. I believe I ran the skimmer from day one. Here is a video showing the small modification that needs to be made so it fits in the 2nd chamber with the InTank media basket. Really simple to do.
  2. Small modification needed.
  3. Chamber 2
  4. I haven't done a fuge - the media basket is in the 2nd chamber as the video will show you.
  5. I cut a filter sock up to fit into the top level of the media basket with filter floss on top of that. I don't use bio pellets - I have ROWA in the 2nd level with Chemi Care Blue hanging from the bottom of the 2nd chamber so water flows over it. I then have Matrix in the 3rd level in mesh bags so I can take it out once a month and wash the matrix in tank water when I do a water change.
  6. The heater goes in the 1st chamber
  7. I get my RO water at the LFS
  8. The image shows the recommended filtration for the media basket.

Attachments

• Media-Basket.png
    Media-Basket.png
    130 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. I believe I ran the skimmer from day one. Here is a video showing the small modification that needs to be made so it fits in the 2nd chamber with the InTank media basket. Really simple to do.
  2. Small modification needed.
  3. Chamber 2
  4. I haven't done a fuge - the media basket is in the 2nd chamber as the video will show you.
  5. I cut a filter sock up to fit into the top level of the media basket with filter floss on top of that. I don't use bio pellets - I have ROWA in the 2nd level with Chemi Care Blue hanging from the bottom of the 2nd chamber so water flows over it. I then have Matrix in the 3rd level in mesh bags so I can take it out once a month and wash the matrix in tank water when I do a water change.
  6. The heater goes in the 1st chamber
  7. I get my RO water at the LFS
  8. The image shows the recommended filtration for the media basket.
Next craziest question.... When you start off your tank, do you really get 30 gallons of water from your LFS or do you just get your top-off water from your LFS?

Upvote 0

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure get 30 gallons of RO water or natural sea water if they have that. Don't use tap water.
What kind of rock and sand are you using?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure get 30 gallons of RO water or natural sea water if they have that. Don't use tap water.
What kind of rock and sand are you using?
I planned on using CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink Aquariam Sand.

I’ve never transported water before, outside of a case of water from Walmart. I’m really not sure what to expect. What do they provide the water in? Should I bring something to the LFS to transport it? I guess 30 gallons isn’t that much compared to larger tanks. How do you safely and neatly pour the water into your tank? Is there some type of siphon or other means?

Upvote 0

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS should have 5 gal containers that you can purchase. You will need them anyway for water changes.
You can also get 5 gal buckets with lids at Home Depot which I use to heat and mix the salt with.
I pour half of the 5 gals I mix into another bucket and then just pour it into the 3rd chamber with the return pump.

Upvote 0

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my rodi setup obviously mine is more than you would need but general idea. Love aqua fx they really stand behind their products. Give them a call and they will answer any question you have.
A437B7E2-4365-41F6-85FF-AFD20382AAAD.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my rodi setup obviously mine is more than you would need but general idea. Love aqua fx they really stand behind their products. Give them a call and they will answer any question you have.
A437B7E2-4365-41F6-85FF-AFD20382AAAD.jpeg
Thx for sharing the pic! I’ll look into it. There’s so many rodi systems out there it’s really difficult to decide which one to go with. I’m sure I’ll start with getting water from my lfs at first but my goal is the rodi system in less than 2 months.

Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All RO/DI "machines" that use standard filter housings are all basically the same. With that said I would go with a reputable company such as aquaFX, spectrapure, or BRS.

Only the outliers like the RO/DI buddy and the likes take proprietary filters and can only be used with their filters.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All RO/DI "machines" that use standard filter housings are all basically the same. With that said I would go with a reputable company such as aquaFX, spectrapure, or BRS.

Only the outliers like the RO/DI buddy and the likes take proprietary filters and can only be used with their filters.
Good to know...thx!

Upvote 0

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember for replacing water that evaporates you use RODI water or distiled water, NOT SALT WATER. When the water evaporates it leaves the salt behind and you will throw off the salt level. Best to use a ATO system to do it for you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember for replacing water that evaporates you use RODI water or distiled water, NOT SALT WATER. When the water evaporates it leaves the salt behind and you will throw off the salt level. Best to use a ATO system to do it for you.
Wow, glad you said that! Sheesh, I would have gotten more salt water. Thx!

ATO system is today’s new term. Lol! Hadn’t heard that one in my reading yet but a quick google search explained it well. Do ATO systems require a constant connection to plumbing or would they have a reservoir that I’d keep full on my own? I’d assume both are available. What type do you have?

Upvote 0

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, glad you said that! Sheesh, I would have gotten more salt water. Thx!

ATO system is today’s new term. Lol! Hadn’t heard that one in my reading yet but a quick google search explained it well. Do ATO systems require a constant connection to plumbing or would they have a reservoir that I’d keep full on my own? I’d assume both are available. What type do you have?
They do not, just need a container to hold a few gallons of RODI or distilled water. The system should come with a pump and the pump sits in that container. When your tank is getting low it will pump in water from the container into your tank. You just need to keep checking it every day to add more water. Just make sure you turn it off when doing water changes.

Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically you would want a container you can fill. Having an endless supply of water would be a very bad thing if it got stuck on.

With that said, some people do connect them directly to their RO/DI filters, but have many safety features in place so a flood can't happen. It still often times does even with all those safety measures in place.

Upvote 0

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my filter stack in the media basket - keep in mind my tank is 3+ years old and the filtration is setup to stabilize phosphate and nitrate. Details are in post #21 above. You can see the skimmer next to the media basket.

Filter Stack.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my filter stack in the media basket - keep in mind my tank is 3+ years old and the filtration is setup to stabilize phosphate and nitrate. Details are in post #21 above. You can see the skimmer next to the media basket.

Filter Stack.JPG
I appreciate the visual!!!

Upvote 0

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the visual!!!
First step for you will be to get a 200 micron filter sock and cut it up to fit into the rectangular shape of the media basket. This goes into the top level with filter floss on top of it.
Others may have a better idea as to what micron sock to purchase - you don't want it to be to fine or it will stop the flow of water.
The link above is just to give you an idea of what it is. For your purposes a larger sock will be better so you can cut it up into rectangles.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back