So many salt mixes, which one is the best one?

Mindgames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm returning to the hobby after 3 years and I'm currently setting up my RSM C 130 tank. So I've decided that I'll start mixing my own saltwater. However, I cannot settle on one brand of sea salt. From what I've seen and read online, for me, it is currently between Instant Ocean (probably reef crystals) and Red sea Salt (not pro coral).

My tank will be 65% softies and the rest will be LPS. No SPS. So which salt would you guys recommend? Any help is much appreciated as this is sort of urgent. Thanks!

Reactions: KWT

kensomebody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Gonna be lots of opinions no real right answer. Find a salt that mixes to the parameters you want to keep. Either of the two you listed are fine. Also use a salt you can easily get locally in case you end up needing more immediately for a large water change or just not realizing you ran out and needing to do a water change.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
You can use basically any of them and be successful. If you have extra money, buy TM, otherwise just buy IO.

ApoIsland

View Badges
Reaction score
I do fairly large % water changes (40-60%) once every 4-6 weeks so I try to avoid reef crystals. My only screw up with a water change came when I was using that salt. I missed a few months of water changes and believe because i let the levels drop so low and the levels are so high in fresh reef crystals mix that when i did a large water change it shocked the system. No coral or fish were lost but all tangs got ich and one of them developed a white lump on the nose that went away as soon as I did another water change with regular instant ocean.

I now use a mix of the 3 cheapest I can find. 2 parts Instant ocean regular, 1 part reef crystals, and 2 parts coralife salt mix.

I have a 120g mixed reef sps/lps.

The Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Idoc

Still Covid free!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Pick the salt closest to the parameters you want to maintain in order to keep your dosing to a minimum. I stated with expensive salt, but settled with Instant Ocean since it's so darn cheap and plenty of really successful tanks on it.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
I use Reef crystals.
Pick a salt and stick with it. Every salt you will find fantastic reefs.

JCTReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
This salt is trusted since 1848. Lol;)
F58B1B9B-55A9-41D8-80C2-BCE798D76913.jpeg

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
I've always used reef crystals because its so cheap on amazon

JCTReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Here’s a few videos if the OP is bored. The age old question that gets asked repeatedly. What is the best salt? I’ve used many, many different mixes over the years and have had success with all of them. I’ve seen beautiful reefs kept with just about all of them also. Plenty of salts out there that will get the job done. Heck, Jason Fox uses regular ole IO... Speaking of IO, I find the cost per gallon to be off on the BRSVideo. You can get it much cheaper from other sources.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
I used RedSea blue bucket for two years. Mixes clean, little residue in my brute can. Mixed at or just under 8DKH. I wanted to try a pharmacy grade salt that mixed closer to 9 so now I am using HW Marine Reefer. Mixes fast, clean, and around 8.8 DKH. Very pleased with it.

Lazys Coral House

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I like my Alk at 8, so I use Red Sea blue bucket.
I don’t think you go wrong with any of the salts though. Especially if it mixes to the parameters you want to keep in the tank.

Tamberav

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Tropic marine classic is my favorite salt but expensive. I use it for a 5g pico because it is quick and easy.

On my large tank, I use Instant Ocean because it can be had for 30-35 bucks for a 200g box on sale locally (and sometimes amazon). It grows corals just fine, it just takes longer to mix, might have floaters, makes my mixing bucket dirty, and can turn to a brick if stored too long. Most of these things don't matter/effect coral (unless it turns into a brick, then it will precipitate which just means I dose the Ca/Alk back up and still use it through a filter sock).

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
I agree with Tropic Marin it is what I use. I tried IO, RC, Fritz, and found the RC and IO to mix dirty. Fritz just didn't get the results I was looking for. Tropic is pharmaceutical grade mixes clean and I have had great results. And if you look at bang for your buck to me it is the best option
Tropic Marin
Pharm grade
Dont even try any other.

boacvh

View Badges
Reaction score
I would say the best salt is the one you pick. They all work and everyone will swear by the one they use. As said above, watch the videos, pick one that matches the parameters you want and then you are golden. :)

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Depends what you mean by best... in terms of quality and knowing exactly what’s in it, tropic Marin pro is the best hands down... it’s pharmaceutical grade so it’s by far the purest salt... every other salt has tons of impurities from the mining or dehydration process which isn’t gonna necessarily always hurt you... but trust me when you’re cleaning out your buckets and pumps weekly you’ll wish you had tropic Marin pro lol but like others said just use the salt that closely matches the parameters you want !

How's your tank currently looking?

• Never better

Votes: 48 14.7%
  • Pretty good

Votes: 143 43.9%
  • Just OK

Votes: 74 22.7%
  • Not great

Votes: 33 10.1%
  • Prett Bad

Votes: 11 3.4%
  • Yuck