So many salt mixes, which one is the best one?

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RO Buddie is a good system and you can get the replacement sediment and carbon cartridge on amazon ($7.99 and $9.99) Also the membrane replacement around $16.00 - $40.00 range. Even you can buy a bundle of all three for $45.00.

How long they will last depends of your tap water quality. In my case I replace the sediment and carbon around 6 to 8 months, and the membrane around 2 years.

Also you can add an DI resin cartridge for $18 and then just buy DI resin in bag and replace the one in the cartridge when is exhausted.

Im using this system for 100 gallons tank at it works fine.
I see. Well if that is the case then the Buddi unit should pay for its self and even save me money within a year or so. Thank you!

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RO Buddie is a good system and you can get the replacement sediment and carbon cartridge on amazon ($7.99 and $9.99) Also the membrane replacement around $16.00 - $40.00 range. Even you can buy a bundle of all three for $45.00.

How long they will last depends of your tap water quality. In my case I replace the sediment and carbon around 6 to 8 months, and the membrane around 2 years.

Also you can add an DI resin cartridge for $18 and then just buy DI resin in bag and replace the one in the cartridge when is exhausted.

Im using this system for 100 gallons tank at it works fine.
Also any chance you can post the links to these sediment, cartridge and membrane if possible?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Aquatic Life twist in RODI

It fits under my sink and the wast goes down the drain through a saddle drain. Super easy to replace cartridges.

20201013_224015.jpg

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the big names work fine.

Here are what I consider when picking a salt:

1. Is it readily available locally in case of an emergency? I don't want to add a salt brand change to the trauma of a topoff mishap/tank failure/whatever. Do not decide on a salt that is difficult for you to get.

2. Are its parameters generally to your liking? I'm fine adjusting newly mixed salt, but I don't want to adjust it *much*

3. Cost/value.

I use Reef Crystals. Petco and Petsmart stock it. So does my LFS. So I can ALWAYS get a bucket.

Its parameters are fine - if a little high. I hit 5 gallons of salt water with 2 grams of sodium bisulfate to drop the alk to about 8.5. I have a scale at my mixing station, so this is like 5 seconds.

Its $31-32 a bucket via Amazon Subscribe-and-save.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used esv for 5 years now and like it.
I do not do scheduled water changes though, so I dont use much.
I may do automatic small daily water changes on my large upgrade from my 120
If I do it will be IO standard.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned ESV. I use to buy this by the pallet for many years (when I had a small pet shop). It mixes almost instantaneously and is the cleanest salt I've ever seen..... and I've used most all of them over my 50+ years of reefing. Some may not like the fact that you have to measure 4 separate components but this is what makes this salt special. (Once you decide on your mixing program it becomes very easy to remember the calculations). The 4 components keep things from combining or precipitating. Dry NaCl first; dry Mg next; Liquid A, then Liquid B (trace elements). The only thing that I didn't like was that it was high in Li. I'm not sure if that is the case any longer since I haven't used this in 4 years (due to temporary downgrading due to moves) but I have no reason to think this was detrimental. I plan to go back to this salt when I make my final move and set up a huge SPS system.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is this RO Buddie unit that some people suggested since my tank is 34 gals only. Im thinking of buying it but honestly the entire changing the membrane and carbon thing is holding me back. Im not sure where i can get these membranes to begin with. Also, are they membranes or the carbon expensive?
Can't say about the filter media for that RO unit, but if your demand for water is that small, you may be just as well off to buy bottled water from a distributor that delivers.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you say it is better if i buy RODI from the LFS rather than get a small unit one day?
Depending of your needs. Maybe for the same total price you can get natural seawater, depending of where you live. It is not only about the investment, also about the result. Commercial demi water does provide what may be expected without any unexpected costs and losses. You know what you get for a predictable price. No water is wasted.
We have good quality drinking water but it maintains some nitrate and phosphate, no problem for setting up a new tank but too much for water changes. One may run the tab water over a phosphate remover before to be used for water changes or replace evaporation. I see no problem by adding supplemental minerals as growth is harvested to control the nutrient balance. No drinking water is wasted and a hugh amount of water can be made phosphate free before use, depending of the available tap water.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back