So many salt mixes, which one is the best one?

Soryu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience so far is that the brand of salt you use is probably the least important factor in tank success. I'll list the factors I have found important to me in regard to which salt I use, they are in no particular order.

1. Availability. Do multiple retailers in your area carry that brand of salt? While I can't imagine too many scenarios where you couldn't get the salt you need quickly, it's nice to know that I don't have to rely on one retailer in case my preferred LFS is out. I do know that internet ordering exists, I still prefer that I have the option to get my brand locally and quickly.

2. Storage. One of the things I discovered is that not all brands are capable of long term storage. I started out using Aquavitro salinity, storing any excess mix to use on my nano tanks. Within 48 hours of mixing this salt would begin to precipitate wildly. Within a week of storage the alkalinity, calcium, and mag levels would be 6dkh/380ppm/1100ppm approximately.

3. Ease of use. This one is something that surprised me after decades long hiatus from the hobby is that with the easy availability of all of these new salts, each one seemed to have their own specific instructions or special techniques to get a good mix, prevent precipitation, and prevent cloudiness. Having used Instant Ocean decades ago, I was used to just dump and walk away. Red Sea Coral Pro wants you to mix it in 68°f water until clear(2-4 hours) and the PH stabilizes then raise the temp to 77°f before use. You also better not try to dump the salt in all at once or you can almost guarantee precipitation. Salinity required strange voodoo rituals of rolling the bucket, mixing slowly, waiting for 24 hours, and then using it right away after 24 hours or demons were spawned.

4. Cost. While most people would assume I'm just cheap, this is more about ensuring that water changes don't break the bank because I feel that unless you're doing Triton method or some other low or no water change method, you want to be doing water changes frequently. The last thing you want is for your water change schedule to become cost prohibitive. I personally am a bit aggressive on my water change schedule. Also every penny you can save on salt you can use to justify new corals, a penny saved is a coral earned.

5. Parameters. I really feel that this one isn't too high on the list for me since I would dose my levels to where I want them. Just having a salt mix at the parameters I keep my tank is an extra step I can mostly avoid. I'm still testing and occasionally tweaking things but for the most part I can generally avoid any major additions of chemical unless something doesn't mix right or I'm accidentally heavy handed with the bucket when adding salt.

@JCTReefer linked a lot of good, no I mean great videos from BRS. Spend some time learning about each salt, make a decision on how you plan on using it and how it fits in with your habits. I personally have settled on Red Sea Coral Pro because my LFS carries the 200g bags, the parameters are in line with what I use, it mixes clean, stores well, and for the most part it's been very consistent batch to batch. The price is on the higher end of the spectrum but it's working for me and there is nothing my corals hate more than change.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, thank you all for the quick and informative replies!
So after reading all the replies on this thread, one thing seemed to be consistent; I should pick the salt that will provide the parameters closest to what I want in my tank. This raises the question, what parameters should I aim for? As I mentioned in the original post, 2/3 of the corals will be softies and about 1/3 will be LPS. If anyone has any idea about the parameter range that I should be aiming for please let me know.
Thanks!

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As many others have said, use a salt that matches your parameters as close as possible. I would also pay attention to what your corals are looking like. I was using brightwell for quite some time then all my corals started to do bad and lost a lot of them. I tried looking into everything and finally just decided to try and new salt. I am able to get TMP locally and I went with that. Did a 50% water change last week and the corals look way better. Maybe it was a bad batch maybe it was something else but all I know is the corals look great and only thing changed was the salt. So ill be sticking with TMP for now.

Side note... not sure if salt can go bad but the day I went to do the 50% WC I was originally going to do it with brightwell but it had this bad odor (rotten/sulfur ish) and that's what finally made me switch salt.

Soryu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, thank you all for the quick and informative replies!
So after reading all the replies on this thread, one thing seemed to be consistent; I should pick the salt that will provide the parameters closest to what I want in my tank. This raises the question, what parameters should I aim for? As I mentioned in the original post, 2/3 of the corals will be softies and about 1/3 will be LPS. If anyone has any idea about the parameter range that I should be aiming for please let me know.
Thanks!

Look at any major brand you're interested in, see what their mixed reef instructions are and start at those numbers. This is probably the easiest advice I can give for this question. These are complicated questions and you're going to have to learn your own tanks personality.

rmay6850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decide what type of tank you want, determine the optimal parameters for that type of mix, and then research the salt that comes the closest to your tank mix needs. This way you will minimize your supplement needs.

Just my humble opinion...

Royalreef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most are saying to pick the one that closely matched your desired water parameters but I like the blue bucket red Sea salt because then I can dose everything manually and set more precise goals

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After quite some research I think I've settled on the following parameters:
1604204340839.png

Do you guys think this is adequate for a soft/lps tank? Keep in mind I am trying to avoid dosing, however, O might use stuff like reefroids.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After quite some research I think I've settled on the following parameters:
1604204340839.png

Do you guys think this is adequate for a soft/lps tank? Keep in mind I am trying to avoid dosing, however, O might use stuff like reefroids.
Gonna be tough to keep the phosphate and nitrate low like that and if it’s a softie tank you can have higher nitrate lol... everything else is rather spot on it does take trial and error and your filtration and bio load will determine that nitrate and phosphate level you don’t want them too low because softies like nutrients

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ a feed crystals person. I’ve never tried anything else in my 20 years of doing this. Are there better slats out there, probably but I do fine with reef crystals.

I typically find the best prices at Chewy. Pro tip.....if you don’t like the price of the 200 gallon box (I don’t like to pay more than $50), check the price on the 50 gallon bag. Often $200 gallon boxes are close to $60, but you can get the 50 gallon bag for $11 or so. $44 vs 60. I go through a lot of salt.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Best answer will be :
THE ONE THAT FITS YOUR NEEDS

Determine if fish only, mixed reef, coral heavy and you will see some have heavier alk, lower mag, etc

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna be tough to keep the phosphate and nitrate low like that and if it’s a softie tank you can have higher nitrate lol... everything else is rather spot on it does take trial and error and your filtration and bio load will determine that nitrate and phosphate level you don’t want them too low because softies like nutrients
That is true I agree. What about the alkalinity? Do you think it too low?

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ a feed crystals person. I’ve never tried anything else in my 20 years of doing this. Are there better slats out there, probably but I do fine with reef crystals.

I typically find the best prices at Chewy. Pro tip.....if you don’t like the price of the 200 gallon box (I don’t like to pay more than $50), check the price on the 50 gallon bag. Often $200 gallon boxes are close to $60, but you can get the 50 gallon bag for $11 or so. $44 vs 60. I go through a lot of salt.
What kind of corals do you have in your tank? Also do you dose anything?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing to use is
Pure ocean water 100%. Mother Nature has already mixed it
200 gallons of sea water shipped to Colorado would be pretty expensive! ;)

I'm +1 on HW Marinemix Reefer. Mixes fast and clean and very close to parameters I shoot for ( Calcium at 445-450 ppm, Alk of 9.0 dKH, Magnesium at 1380 ppm & No chemical or environmental pollutants, no nitrates, phosphates or silicates). Not the cheapest but about average, and it's available locally if I need some in a hurry (can't say that about some of the more high end salt mixes).

Last edited:

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different oceans/seas have different parameters. They are so different that they won't even mix and you can see a line when you cross into different oceans/seas.

fc5d1e8b677d059fb0ec3971b1c1ecdd.jpg

Well I’m in Jersey so it’s Atlantic for me,, and when I collect my water from bout 7-10 miles offshore,, the salinity is Always 1025
I’ve been doing that for 3 years now

8D2E5835-D8D1-4853-80AF-E66093A5B75B.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back