So much for pricey foods

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acquired five captive-bred fish (two skunks; a striped blenny; two orchid dottybacks) a little over a week ago and have been trying out different foods to get them to feed heavily since then. Their reponse has been fine, although strangely indifferent to the frozen mysis, ROE, and other cubes. However, I triggered a feeding frenzy this morning when I broadcast some Omega marine flakes (non-garlic) -- EVERY fish went after them.

I'm clearly going to vary their diet, but does flake constitute a majority of food for any tanks?

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acquired five captive-bred fish (two skunks; a striped blenny; two orchid dottybacks) a little over a week ago and have been trying out different foods to get them to feed heavily since then. Their reponse has been fine, although strangely indifferent to the frozen mysis, ROE, and other cubes. However, I triggered a feeding frenzy this morning when I broadcast some Omega marine flakes (non-garlic) -- EVERY fish went after them.

I'm clearly going to vary their diet, but does flake constitute a majority of food for any tanks?

As mentioned, it could be what they are used to being fed. Throw some LRS Reef Frenzy in there and see what happens.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I feed 26 different items to my three tanks on a weekly basis. A variety is a must and those that offer aminos, vitamins and low fat content

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, it could be what they are used to being fed. Throw some LRS Reef Frenzy in there and see what happens.
Overnight shipping at $80 CAD is a bit steep for this product; it's not offered locally (ie. Edmonton, a five hour drive away (one way)).

I can understand mysis pellets, but flake? I mean, they are from ORA, which states on its website that the blenny and dottybacks should be given a variety of "meaty" foods. Which I suppose is true if that means "thin sheets of processed mariney foods of uncertain provenance".

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overnight shipping at $80 CAD is a bit steep for this product; it's not offered locally (ie. Edmonton, a five hour drive away (one way)).

I can understand mysis pellets, but flake? I mean, they are from ORA, which states on its website that the blenny and dottybacks should be given a variety of "meaty" foods. Which I suppose is true if that means "thin sheets of processed mariney foods of uncertain provenance".

LOL. I noted your location after posting.;)

p.s. you can go to your local seafood market and make your own mix.

Shannon_Hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRS is great, but I’ve been using Rod’s Reef Frenzy here lately as it’s a bit easier to get (cost less too). Fish love it... try to get frozen, but not cubed food. Also add in some freeze dried cyclops in there as well. My fish eat the crap out of it, as do corals and filter feeders.

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned elsewhere, my fish do enjoy frozen foods (and my own seafood mixes), but nothing induces them into a frenzy as much as processed flakes. It's...unfortunate. :)

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish I have goes absolutely nuts for prime reef flakes. My daughter calls it “crazy food” because they go crazy as soon as it hits the water. Personally I hate feeding flakes, as some always goes down the overflow, but they just love it so much I figure it must be good for them.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just because they like it doesn't mean it is good for them.
No flakes here.

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because they like it doesn't mean it is good for them.
No flakes here.
Thats true, but ocean nutrition makes good stuff in general, and I believe there is a correlation in this case. Anecdotaly you can smell the difference from other flakes, it has less of that ashy wheat grainy smell, and way more of a pure fish stench. The protien and fat content are on point too at 53.4% and 16.6%. Compare that with PE mysis at 69% and 8% for example and it is only around 10% less protien, but double the fat! Plus they add vitamins and iron and such. Of course I still vary my fishes diet with a little of everything, but if I had to select only one food this would be it, based on the nutrition it provides, and I partially credit it with my fishes good health overall.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned elsewhere, my fish do enjoy frozen foods (and my own seafood mixes), but nothing induces them into a frenzy as much as processed flakes. It's...unfortunate. :)
Do you blend nori sheets or dulse (purple seaweed) in with your frozen mix? Try it if not....

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you blend nori sheets or dulse (purple seaweed) in with your frozen mix? Try it if not....
Dulse? I haven't had any since I lived in New Brunswick. I might try to get some in my next order from Amazon, even though it's twice as expensive as nori.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dulse? I haven't had any since I lived in New Brunswick. I might try to get some in my next order from Amazon, even though it's twice as expensive as nori.
Not sure if you have an 'Independent or Loblaw' grocer near you, but they do carry it here in my small town Ontario. If you can pick it up there, its about 5.99 a good sized bag. My Angels and Tang go bananas for it for some reason. I actually snack on it myself at times , nice and salty lol...
Ah New Brunswick, would be sweet to head there for a week on the ocean about now....

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think I'd be able to find it here, what with all of the large ex-Atlantic Canadian population, but I guess it's not an Alberta "thing", and the local "coop" (along with the rest of the supermarkets) just carries nori. Cured, processed nori. (I went on a seaweed hunt a couple of months ago after I bought my multicolour angel).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back