So my 32 gal biocube is slowly getting fully fitted. But I can't find clean chaeto anywhere!

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does everyone get their clean chaeto from? I heard everyone tell me algae barn but I have looked every day now for a week and it's always sold out!

I been buying a 6oz bottle of pods every 2 weeks for my red scooter blenny (dragonet) I have never seen a pod get any big ones and the little guy is getting fat so it's working but expensive. Last week my intake media / refugium showed up but I don't want to take out the stock without the chaeto ready to add in. Already had an 11 inch in tank refugium light looks like a heater size so I'm ready to do another upgrade!

Are there any other alternatives to clean chaeto that are good for sustaining a pod population?

OP
OP
P

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 3 local LFS don't carry it because they don't want to deal with the clean part of it so I'm going to have to purchase online.

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does everyone get their clean chaeto from? I heard everyone tell me algae barn but I have looked every day now for a week and it's always sold out!

I been buying a 6oz bottle of pods every 2 weeks for my red scooter blenny (dragonet) I have never seen a pod get any big ones and the little guy is getting fat so it's working but expensive. Last week my intake media / refugium showed up but I don't want to take out the stock without the chaeto ready to add in. Already had an 11 inch in tank refugium light looks like a heater size so I'm ready to do another upgrade!

Are there any other alternatives to clean chaeto that are good for sustaining a pod population?
Ulva lactuca is really good. It has alot of surface area for the pods to lay eggs on. I don't know how well it will do in an all in one fuge though. If your flow is slow I would think lt would do good

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never found pods to prefer macro algae over some nice holey rock to live in.

What I did find, is they absolutely love marine pure. I never saw as many pods living in my macro, a few, but not an over abundance. I had so many living in my marine pure brick, if I left the lights off in the sump and used a flashlight, the block actually looked like it was alive there were so many crawling all over it.

f it were me, other then the nutrient absorbing properties of macro, if I just wanted macro for a pod haven, I would throw a marine pure plate in the middle chamber of the biocube(I know it won't fit, but the stuff can literally be cut with a butter knife).

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always buy local and then "QT" yourself. I've done this a couple times with success. Just toss it in some fresh water and leave it for a week or so. I found that most of the sea life is dead within 24hrs. I tend to leave it at least a week as a precaution. The only "negative" is that you may get some other algae that survive.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back