So my anemone just went full shrink ray mode

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually mostly avoided the invasives. I had considered kenya tree for a while but ended up deciding against it. Interestingly enough, I'm one of those people who can't grow zoas lol. They happily stay the same old size and look great on their tiny little frag plugs. Trying to get a nice zoa garden in part of my rock work, but have other things dominate other areas of the tank so they can't be too invasive. But the funny bit is that much as they won't grow, I get some rather rapid growth out of euphyllia. I've gotten multiple branches on one of them in the course of a month. They seem to love my tank. So I'll take it lol. Tons of great colors and choices with euphyllia to choose from and play with! Next is torches, acans and blastos, and maybe some more zoa frags, and the incoming acro. Gotta be a little careful with that though, I don't have a Ca reactor. Thus far though my Ca has been a beautiful steady 430 with weekly 8% water changes. I've heard mushroom horror stories lol.
Im too cheap to buy a torch but man are they pretty! The zoas worth having don’t grow very fast anyway, haha. Blastos are also awesome, that was actually my first coral ever over 3 years ago and i still have it to this day. Im also too cheap to buy a calc reactor so i put kalk in my ato. it works for me so im happy

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im too cheap to buy a torch but man are they pretty! The zoas worth having don’t grow very fast anyway, haha. Blastos are also awesome, that was actually my first coral ever over 3 years ago and i still have it to this day. Im also too cheap to buy a calc reactor so i put kalk in my ato. it works for me so im happy
So far I've been very lucky: 8% weekly water changes do the trick for calc. Yeah I have not bought many corals. I inherited a bunch of hammers, which make up the bulk of my coral currently, so I figure I can spend a little bit for a torch. Add some acans and blastos which are pretty cheap, and some more zoas, and I shouldn't be totally breaking the bank! Not that this hobby would ever do something like that... I really want to get my hands on some goblin fire, blue lagoon, and fire and ice zoas, but I'm sure not paying $60 per polyp so I'm waiting for some to show in my lfs. They get a lot of good stuff through, locals trade in corals all the time. It's just a game of patience.

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I've been very lucky: 8% weekly water changes do the trick for calc. Yeah I have not bought many corals. I inherited a bunch of hammers, which make up the bulk of my coral currently, so I figure I can spend a little bit for a torch. Add some acans and blastos which are pretty cheap, and some more zoas, and I shouldn't be totally breaking the bank! Not that this hobby would ever do something like that... I really want to get my hands on some goblin fire, blue lagoon, and fire and ice zoas, but I'm sure not paying $60 per polyp so I'm waiting for some to show in my lfs. They get a lot of good stuff through, locals trade in corals all the time. It's just a game of patience.
Before good ol’ corona, a good majority of the corals ive bought have come from frag swaps. You can find some real gems from the vendors and they are more than likely to cut you a good deal. My favorite are the hobbyists vendors because most of the ones i have conversations with arent even really in it to make money, they just want to share their colonies and break even. Being 24, living in a 1br apartment its hard for me to spend more than $50 on a single piece unless its justified so im a bargain shopper. lol when i think of a torch, i see 2 weeks of groceries. Frag swaps are the best. You should look into local ones once this covid thing blows over. And you mentioned you have reefer friends which is also a really nice way to trade and get new pieces.

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before good ol’ corona, a good majority of the corals ive bought have come from frag swaps. You can find some real gems from the vendors and they are more than likely to cut you a good deal. My favorite are the hobbyists vendors because most of the ones i have conversations with arent even really in it to make money, they just want to share their colonies and break even. Being 24, living in a 1br apartment its hard for me to spend more than $50 on a single piece unless its justified so im a bargain shopper. lol when i think of a torch, i see 2 weeks of groceries. Frag swaps are the best. You should look into local ones once this covid thing blows over. And you mentioned you have reefer friends which is also a really nice way to trade and get new pieces.
I am acquiring an acro frag from a reefer friend. He had a mild tank crash and some frags of his big colony survived. So, he's handing them out to others to spread them around. Now if anyone has a crash, there are insurance policies between all of us. Good deal so far as I am concerned.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has a 'hissy fit' once every few weeks for a day then its back for over a year. Same scenario, retreats into a totally deflated state, which usually indicates something has ticked it off briefly . Post a picture tomorrow and next day...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back